Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out?

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Wow I really did well on that game!
    Your voodoo is strong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Your voodoo is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Your voodoo is strong.
    I blame that on Senorita's popcorn and those mojitos!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I blame that on Senorita's popcorn and those mojitos!
    You mean you did voodoo to Evgeni and you blame that my popcorn and mojitos helped to that?

Golds: got the pairs right and the ladies right. Got the mens and dance wrong. I thought Plushy would run away with the gold & the Russians would get the dance. I had hoped the dance would go the way it did but I never dreamed it actually would.

Mens: I picked Plush, Abbott then any one of the contenders that skated best. I had thought one could be Daisuke so I guess I wasn't too wrong. Pairs, I thought P/T would be 3rd and the Germans 2nd. Ladies I had Yu-Na, then Mao then said hoping for Joannie but that it could have been one of many depending on the skates, so I did pretty well there.

I actually did better than usual! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    You mean you did voodoo to Evgeni and you blame that my popcorn and mojitos helped to that?
    Okay maybe not that but everything else came true!

At least the whole Plushy skating to that Dima Bilan song didn't came true so all is well!

MEN: I wanted Plushenko not to win, and Evan to win, which happened. I didn't care if Plushenko got a medal, just didn't want him to win. I wanted Chan to get a medal but he didn't. I'm fine with Daisuke getting the bronze though because he did deserve it.

LADIES: I knew Yu-Na was going to win, so there was no sense realistically hoping anything otherwise. My dream podium would have been Joannie, Mirai and Rachael but the skaters who did get on the podium deserved it.

PAIRS: I wanted Shen and Zhao to win, and they did. I was indifferent to where Pang and Tong ended up, but after their amazing LP I'm glad they got a medal. I'm disappointed no Canadians were on the podium, but their LPs weren't good and they didn't deserve medals. I'm disappointed that the bronze medal went to someone who fell, but I think all the teams except the first two fell so there really wasn't much choice there.

DANCE: I wanted Virtue and Moir to win, and they won, although my hope for a North American sweep didn't work out. I wanted either Davis and White and Belbin and Agosto in second and third, didn't really matter to me which order. Instead, the horrid Russians got third, which STINKS, but what can you do?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Okay maybe not that but everything else came true!
    Thats nice of you because there is a certain amount of frustration I can take in one week time:boohoo:

How do you know Plush wont skate to Bilan (blah..) in Gala??? (*still hopes for Lady Gaga*)

Custom Title
    I am completely confused by this Olympics because I never have seen so many great performances in one competition and never found all four podiums ok (which more or less happened for me here), but nevertheless am unsatisfied with the outcome.

Men: I am fine with all three medal winners but I wanted Stephane to skate better, and I wanted him on the podium and have to admit that the other three deserved it more. In an interview I read a few days ago he sounded utterly depressed about his performance, and that is such a sad end of his career. And I did not want Oda to make a stupid mistake again and he did. Sigh.

Pairs: Same. Fine with the medal winners but wanted S&S to skate better and wanted them to win. They didn't deserve it this time.

Dance: Same. D&W were great and V&M were absolutely amazing, but I have followed DomShabs career for so many years, and I at least wanted them to skate the hell out of their bodies.

Ladies: Again the same. YuNa and Mao skated in their own respective dimensions, and one could hardly wish Joannie not to have won that medal. But I deeply wanted Miki on the podium. And I am sad that Mao had this defeated look when she stepped on the podium. I still think she and Yuna should have been closer in regards of points. Yuna skated in another universe, but I wish she would have left a bit of space to breath to her rivals.

So none of my wishes came true. And outside figure skating the only event which I was completely satisfied with was the Ski Jumping team event which was not enough for two weeks of Olympics.
    I feel exhausted. Maybe I should have a Mojito with Seniorita - this could comfort my hurt soul a bit.

:frown2:

Custom Title
    Considering all four disciplines, my hopes turned out pretty good. Though I didn't predict any this time. The podiums in Pairs, Ice Dance, and Ladies are the best that I could ever asked for. But I wished that B/A could have gotten the bronze instead of D/S in dance. Forget about the men's! I don't even want to think about it at this moment.

Last time, it was Bourne/Kraatz who pulled me into the ice dance. After they retired, most of my interest in ice dance faded away. This time, Virtue/Moir (along with D/W) has brought my interest back. I'm starting to love ice dancing again.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 02-27-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Thats nice of you because there is a certain amount of frustration I can take in one week time:boohoo:

How do you know Plush wont skate to Bilan (blah..) in Gala??? (*still hopes for Lady Gaga*)
    Because if he does, it would be a nightmare. Remember Eurovision 08?

Because if he does, it would be a nightmare. Remember Eurovision 08?
    Nononono noooooo! !!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    This is the first Olympics where in every discipline those skater(s) got the gold medal that I hoped to win:

Shen/Zhao
    Lysacek
    Kim
    Virtue/Moir
    Me too but I just didn't say it out loud because there were so many odds against it:

Shen/Zhao - had to break the 40 year Russian/Soviet hold on Pairs
    Lysacek - had to skate perfect in both without quad
    Kim - no lady favourite or reigning world champ has won since Yamaguchi in 1992 Albertville
    Virtue/Moir - no North American dance them has been on the podium before nevermind Gold

These four achieved almost impossible - due to one thing - they are the best and they skated their best when they had to

For that the fans were winners.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Me too but I just didn't say it out loud because there were so many odds against it:

Shen/Zhao - had to break the 40 year Russian/Soviet hold on Pairs
    Lysacek - had to skate perfect in both without quad
    Kim - no lady favourite or reigning world champ has won since Yamaguchi in 1992 Albertville
    Virtue/Moir - no North American dance them has been on the podium before nevermind Gold

These four achieved almost impossible - due to one thing - they are the best and they skated their best when they had to

For that the fans were winners.
    I agree about Yuna and Virtue/Moir. I was so concerned about Yuna after Skate America, but boy did she handle the pressure

I don't think Evan was under the same amount of pressure as the others on this list. I was hoping Daisuke or Abbott would win the Men's. I was neutral about Pairs because it's a discipline I haven't followed much. Had Shen and Zhao been clean, their win would have been more convincing to me, but what do I know?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Here were my dream podiums before the event began :

Men:
    Evan
    Jeremy
    Stephane

Ladies:
    Mao
    Joannie
    Akkiko

Pairs:
    Aliona and Robin
    Shen and Zhao
    Dube and Davidson

Dance:
    Tanith and Ben
    Meryl and Charlie
    Virtue and Moir
    I got the Evan Gold and the Meryl and Charlie Silver. Out of all I guess I was most disappointed with the pairs. My hope of yu-na entirely off the podium was very unrealistic, but I my pairs podium was a possibility. Poor Aliona and Robin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast