Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out?

Custom Title
    Pairs came out exactly as I had hoped: S/Z, P/T, S/S in that order. I wanted the Russians and the Zhangs off the podium at all costs.

Ladies came out exactly as I thought it would: Kim-Asada-Rochette. Tickled to death about Nagasu's 4th place--didn't see that coming. I didn't have strong feelings about anybody making or not making the podium, as long as the event was pretty fairly judged and the top 10 placements came out right--which I think they did.

Dance I was happy with V/M and D/W getting on the podium in any order. I hoped B/A would get up there too, but figured that they would be tossed on the street in favor of DomShab..who I think didn't even deserve top 6 regardless of how good their CD was. And indeed, B/A were sacrificed to the lesser team. Russians were gifted.

Mens I really wanted to see Abbott, Lambiel, Takahashi on the podium in any order, got one of them only. Was OK with Lysacek up there, given the way he skated. REALLY wanted Plushenko out of the medals no matter what. I hate him and his skating, and prayed he would splat multiple times but my prayers were not answered. He was gifted on PCS big time. At least he didn't win, and proceeding to make an @ss of himself with his sore loser commentary. Wanted Chan kept off the podium because he needs more seasoning--better skating to back up his mouth. In the end, disappointed with Abbott and Lambiel, and thought the latter definitely overscored. Was thrilled that Johnny Weir put it all together, he deserved better PCS and at least 4th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Kim - no lady favourite or reigning world champ has won since Yamaguchi in 1992 Albertville
    Baiul and Lipinski were both reigning world champions when they won Olympic gold.

Custom Title

How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out?

Pairs: Shen and Zhao--so happy to see them win. They really are the most elegant of all the current pair skaters, in my opinion.

Dance: Virtue and Moir--happy to see this also because they are a lovely couple who skated the best programs at this competition. Would love to have seen Tanith and Ben make the podium but I really didn't care much for their OD this year.

Ladies: Yuna Kim deserved this win. I can't remember a ladies champion skating as beautifully at the Olympics. She didn't show nerves and really skated two outstanding programs. Mao Asada skated well and I do hope that her country treats her like a silver medal winner rather than a gold medal loser. I'm happy with the podium finishes. Didn't want to see either Miki Ando nor Carolina Kostner on the podium so that turned out great for me.

Men: I would have been happy to see anyone but Plushenko win. I've never liked his skating (jumping as it will). After the ugliness he showed after his defeat, I'm sorry that he even made the podium. He really doesn't deserve a medal. Evan skated beautifully and deserves the gold.

The more I think about it, the more I realize Plushenko's skating is way less good than it was in the early 2000s. I had forgotten that he used to do quad triple doubles and such until I read about it in a book.

Tripping on the Podium
    Everything but the men delivered. Brian, Jeremy and Stephane were disappointing.

I'm generally satisfied with the podiums except in the men's compeition. I wanted Brian and Stéphane up there with Tomas, Dai, Nobunari as bakc-up. The person I least wanted to win gold (out of the favourites obviously) was Evan - needless to say how much fun I had during the men's competition!

In ice-dancing I'd have kicked Domnina/Shabalin of the podium, for Tanith and Ben or one of the French pairs, but at least they didn't win gold.

Pairs was great, although I'd have liked S/S and P/T to switch places.

For ladies I wanted Yu-Na to win gold and Mao to win silver and I wasn't too fussed about who won bronze, so I'm chuffed.

I'm pretty happy everywhere except in my favourite discipline!!!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I realize Plushenko's skating is way less good than it was in the early 2000s. I had forgotten that he used to do quad triple doubles and such until I read about it in a book.
    He landed the 1st 4-3-2 in 2001 and 4-3-3 in 2003. Was landing 4-3-2 till torino. He was landing 4-3-2 in Vancouver practices but well..Of course he is not on the same shape, not even close to when he was younger, isnt it normal? he is grandpa now

Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    needless to say how much fun I had during the men's competition!
    I always laugh with your sharp humor. You should have been here, vodka and popcorn helped a lot.

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100
    Virtue/Moir - no North American dance them has been on the podium before nevermind Gold
    Umm...excuse me but Belbin/Agosto won the silver medal at Torino in 2006. They are North American.

This was a terrific skating Olympics.
    Men: Thrilled that Evan won. I knew he could beat Plushenko but I was worried that he wouldn't. What a performance Evan put out, both of them. Sad for Jeremy, though.
    Ladies: I was sure Yuna was going to win. So happy Mirai skated so well! She's going to be a star.
    Pairs: I was pulling for S/Z all the way, they are my faves! So happy for them. P/T was a very pleasant surprise and I'm glad the Germans got a medal, too.
    Dance: This was my event. I am, of course, a D/W uber, and I was beyond thrilled with their silver. I think they could have won the gold had V/M had any kind of a slip up at all but they didn't. Which is fine with me, too, because V/M are awesome and they skated their programs with perfection. I'm still going to root full on for D/W for as long as they skate. They are fabulous to me in every way. So happy the judging was decent.

Men's was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. I had wanted either Lambiel, Chan, or Weir to make the poduim along with the expected medallist Plushenko.
    Ice Dance iam quite pleased, i was actually doubtful alittle that my favourites virtue and moir would end up on top. D/W my second favs were just behind so it ended up well. D/S iam ok with for 3rd. The quality of their basic skating was always quite good.
    Pairs, yes again my favorites won, and P/T though not usually a favourite i was happy to see them with silver as their Free was breathtaking.
    Ladies iam very pleased with, the podium i expected and wanted. Oh i still after all this time, and with all my searches have not been able to locate a clip of Yu Na Kim, Mao, and Joannie on the podium getting their medals. :(((((((((((((((( I wish so much i could see it.
    Last edited by figuristka; 03-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Ladies: In the past, ladies has been the best part of a competition for me. In these Olympics, I didn't enjoy it at all. I thought Kim was extremely overscored and that Asada deserved the gold in the ladies event. I was hoping for Rochette, Kostner or an American, but between Asada and Kim, I thought it was Asada. My only consolation in Kim's gold is that most skaters end their careers with Olympic Gold (though I hate to see Evan go, this will probably be the case with him).
    Woah. why so much hatred? Unfortunately, I don't think Yuna is retiring, as she said in the interview that she wants to do something new in the next season. Sucks for you.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    Umm...excuse me but Belbin/Agosto won the silver medal at Torino in 2006. They are North American.
    Other North American couples have podiumed in Ice Dancing: Colleen O'Connor and James Millns from the US won bronze at the first Olympics with ice dancing. Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall of Canada won bronze in 1988 (and thank heavens they did or we wouldn't have the height-obsessed ice dancing commentator in Wilson we do now). Well, ok, that was it until Belbin/Agosto in 2006. This is really a discipline that's friendly towards non-European teams, until now, I hope.

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Other North American couples have podiumed in Ice Dancing: Colleen O'Connor and James Millns from the US won bronze at the first Olympics with ice dancing. Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall of Canada won bronze in 1988 (and thank heavens they did or we wouldn't have the height-obsessed ice dancing commentator in Wilson we do now). Well, ok, that was it until Belbin/Agosto in 2006. This is really a discipline that's friendly towards non-European teams, until now, I hope.
    I hope, too. And yes I knew about the other NA medalists, I was surprised to see aurora100 saying that V/M were the first NA medalists in Olympic ice dance. At least that's the way I took the sentence to mean.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Perfectly, except for Men's...

Ladies turned out exactly how I wanted them: G: Yu-Na S: Mao B: Joannie.... if only there were more room on the podium, I would have loved to seen Mirai up there too
    Pairs: As long as Shen/Zhao got their Gold at last, I didn't care about the rest of the results.. glad to see Pang/Tong up there too
    ID: I was rooting for Vitrue/Moir and Davis/White equally, so the fact they took 1-2 had me overjoyed too
    Mens: I would have loved to see Kozuka on the podium... such a great skater. I've never been a huge fan of Evan, but he got the job done when it counted. My dream podium would have been Takahashi (G) Kozuka (S) Weir (B)

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm deeply contented and relieved about Shen and Zhao. All it would have taken was one... well, two... slips to lose that medal but they pulled it off!!!

If Yu Na had to win, I wanted her to win with beautiful skates and she did. I was hoping Mao would come close if not win, so that was disappointing, but hey, 3 3As and a silver are not too shabby. I was also hoping Miki would have the skate of her life and grab bronze. I was yelling YES! YES! at the TV when she hit her jumps, but alas, she didn't kick it up a notch. And finally I was hoping Mirai would shine - and didn't she though!

My main hopes in Dance were that Del-Schoe would manage a little miracle and that Dom/Shabs would not get held up. But I'm very happy with the top two. B&A should have gotten bronze.

Men - I was rooting for Dai (gold), Joubert, Chan, Abbott or Lambiel with great skates (silver) and Johnny (bronze). So many talented guys who coulda, shoulda been outdoing each other - this was the most disappointing event but at least I can be happy about (and for) Dai, and Johnny has received some kind of justice - the Fans' Hearts award!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Mens I really wanted to see Abbott, Lambiel, Takahashi on the podium in any order, got one of them only. Was OK with Lysacek up there, given the way he skated. REALLY wanted Plushenko out of the medals no matter what. I hate him and his skating, and prayed he would splat multiple times but my prayers were not answered. He was gifted on PCS big time. At least he didn't win, and proceeding to make an @ss of himself with his sore loser commentary. Wanted Chan kept off the podium because he needs more seasoning--better skating to back up his mouth. In the end, disappointed with Abbott and Lambiel, and thought the latter definitely overscored. Was thrilled that Johnny Weir put it all together, he deserved better PCS and at least 4th.
    This post is simply orgasmic! Completely agree.

Although, given his programs, I actually wouldn't have wanted Lambiel on the podium in retrospect if everyone had skated their best. I was hoping his programs would improve from Europeans but he didn't change anything. Very sad to see the most talented skater since Yagudin come up with his 2 worst programs in the Olympic year. Kozuka would have deserved (DID deserve) to be up there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast