Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out?

  1. #46
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I always laugh with your sharp humor. You should have been here, vodka and popcorn helped a lot.
    Senorita, your love for food and drink makes you an honoury French citizen!!
    I don't like popcorn, but I'll say yes to the vodka!

    I think you'll agree with me when I say that the vodka could have become a drink of celebration rather than a drink of despair if Evgeni had had an amazing skate (like at 05 Euros)!

  2. #47
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    Senorita, your love for food and drink makes you an honoury French citizen!!
    Are you sure? I dont like much the yellow cheese :o

    I agree, that skate was awesome! bUT how about vodka for despair and mojitos for celebration?

  3. #48
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Pairs:

    I wanted S/Z to win the gold medal they should have been able to win in 2006 (if not for very late rule change). Wanted P/T to be on the podium beyond that didn't much care.

    wishes fulfilled: 100 %

    Men

    Was hoping someone would outskate Plusehnko (at least the way he'd been skating iruing n his comeback) to win (yeah, he's an all time great, and his comeback was generally amazing, but ... let's spread the wealth a little already) on the other hand, I can't say I've ever been a fan of Lysacek (or Takahashi) was hoping for Oda, Weir and Lambiel to be on the podium ... somehow (my dream podiums are never very realistic).

    wishes fulfilled : 25%

    Dance

    Didn't much care who won as long as not Russian D/S (nothing against them personally, they seem like very nice personable people and I'm the first to admit that they do some real strengths as skaters but rightly or wrongly they became a symbol of politically driven results and since they spent a lot of the season injured a last minute super increase in their results would have been .... suspicious)
    Hoped French D/S would make the podium (though I realized they probably wouldn't since they missed the whole season)
    Beyond that I didn't really care (I did hope against hope that the Italians or Kerrs might make their way to the podium but I realized that was very unlikely)

    wishes fulfilled : 25%

    Ladies

    Hoped Kim would win, hoped Ando would make the podium beyond that I didn't much care (since Nakano wasn't there). After Rochette's trauma I was hoping she could make the podium (I can't say I've been a fan but she wins gut-check of the decade award so far).

    wishes fulfilled: 50 %

    100 + 25 + 25 + 50 = 200

    Total competition 50 %

    *to be clear, had D/S and/or Plushenko really skated lights out and had the SOTL I wouldn't have had anything against them winning, but I thought the chances of that were pretty low and as it turned out neither was at their peak.

  4. #49
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I wanted S/Z to win the gold medal they should have been able to win in 2006 (if not for very late rule change).
    What rule was that? As far as I know, S/Z didn't win Gold in 2006 because they didn't skate their best...

  5. #50
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,103
    What rule wasn't? The entire pairs rules were changed in a way that disadvantaged S&Z and P&T.

    1. Triple twists were valued equal in value to double twists with lots of features
    2. Their combination/'sequence was disallowed, in the way they usually did it 3t 2A seq (For P&T, their alternative 2a 2a seq also was disallowed because the set of steps they used between was disallowed) in the LP
    3. Their single jump could not be a 3t if a 3t was included in their combination. in the LP (these changes to the jump schedule caused S&Z to try to add 3t 3t either seq or combo, I'm not sure which) to their LP, with the result that Zhao injured himself practicing this. Furthermore it was a change that blatantly favored T&M whose biggest strength was that they had a jump schedule of 3t2t and 3S. T&M also had a chest crashy twist, and the devaluing helped.
    4. If you remember T&M had trouble with the axel entry lasso lift, lev 4, which was the lift with the highest base value. A rule was made that did not allow the axel entry lasso lift to repeat in the program. Previously, teams with a good one, used to do it more than once in the LP. This disadvantaged pretty much every top team with respect to T&M, but was particularly hard on PetTikhs and Z&S, who had awesome lifts. This might have been changed 2005 season, but was still in effect in 2006 Olympics.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-04-2010 at 02:01 AM.

  6. #51
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Yeah, the point was these were pretty big systematic changes to introduce in the middle of an olympic cycle. It's not the only reason I never liked T/M very much, but it certainly didn't make me appreciate them more.

  7. #52
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    Blue cheese is much better!

    Evgeni's skate was ok, but he was shaky technically and one thing I really love about him is his technique, especially his quad technique!!!
    But the time it was his turn to skate I wanted him to win gold, but as he didn't I wanted him to win bronze so he'd have a medal of each!

    I'm not too keen on mjitos - what do say to Martini?

  8. #53
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I wanted him to win bronze so he'd have a medal of each!
    I actually think in a way, a complete set is cooler than two silvers and a gold, but something tells me most skaters don't agree (unless the bronze comes first as an early career surprise).

  9. #54
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out

    S/Z were it. All the others were each in one word: surprisingly

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    517
    Well, I did super well with my prediction/wish for three catagories:
    Pair: Shen/Zhao for Gold!!! S/S and P/T (prediction) or P/T and S/S(wish) for the silver or bronze...... I got my wish! After the pair competition I found myself suddenly became very tolerent and indifferent, nothing was that important anymore
    Ladies: Yu-Na, Mao, Rochette, and I even got Mirai there! Miracle, exactly what I predicted and wished.
    Dance: V/M and D/W, didn't care about who got the bronze, also difficult to predict.
    Man: I wished Jeremy Abbott for Gold, and thought one of the Japanese guys would do well. Completely off:(

    All in all, a great olympic "experience"

  11. #56
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,965
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    [Lots of pairs stuff]
    I didn't know about these details. Thank you for that.

    I wonder if Zhen and Zhao would have won 2004 Worlds under CoP-styled scoring. Their Long Program was so much better than the Russian's.

  12. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What rule wasn't? The entire pairs rules were changed in a way that disadvantaged S&Z and P&T.

    1. Triple twists were valued equal in value to double twists with lots of features
    2. Their combination/'sequence was disallowed, in the way they usually did it 3t 2A seq (For P&T, their alternative 2a 2a seq also was disallowed because the set of steps they used between was disallowed) in the LP
    3. Their single jump could not be a 3t if a 3t was included in their combination. in the LP (these changes to the jump schedule caused S&Z to try to add 3t 3t either seq or combo, I'm not sure which) to their LP, with the result that Zhao injured himself practicing this. Furthermore it was a change that blatantly favored T&M whose biggest strength was that they had a jump schedule of 3t2t and 3S. T&M also had a chest crashy twist, and the devaluing helped.
    4. If you remember T&M had trouble with the axel entry lasso lift, lev 4, which was the lift with the highest base value. A rule was made that did not allow the axel entry lasso lift to repeat in the program. Previously, teams with a good one, used to do it more than once in the LP. This disadvantaged pretty much every top team with respect to T&M, but was particularly hard on PetTikhs and Z&S, who had awesome lifts. This might have been changed 2005 season, but was still in effect in 2006 Olympics.
    It wouldnt have mattered atleast as far as T&M winning is concerned. Lets face it Pang & Tong were never any threat to T&M at all. Totmianina & Marinin skated so much better than Shen & Zhou just coming back from injury at the 2006 Olympics that Shen & Zhou had no hope of beating them under any rules either. Maybe it would have made a different to Zhangs winning silver, I dont know, the Zhangs didnt deserve the silver anyway though.

  13. #58
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,103
    What it did was cause Shen & Zhao to have to change their entire jump layout in the LP-which resulted in Hongbo Zhao injuring his leg badly, which led to them having a flawed performance (but hugely gutsy) at Olympics for the Bronze medal. I agree, the Zhangs were not superior to T&M at any time.

  14. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Totmianina & Marinin did beat Shen & Zhou 3 out of 5 meetings in the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 seasons when both were healthy. They had the clear edge in consistency, they skated cleanly virtually everytime out while Shen & Zhou as great as they are often did not. Shen & Zhou's Vancouver performances when fully healthy would not have beaten Totmianina & Marinin either, the fact they lost the LP to Pang & Tong and would have lost the competition had Pang & Tong even been 3rd in the short already shows that. Shen & Zhou skating cleanly probably would beat Totmianina & Marinin but it is alot to assume for sure they would have even had they been healthy and at their best. And they clearly had to skate cleanly to beat Totmianina & Marinin, anytime that quadrennial they competed against them and made any mistakes at all they lost.

    I am not a fan of Totmianina & Marinin btw, but I predicted them to win the 2006 Olympics a long way before the event.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •