joannie alert, next on NBC with Bob Costas | Golden Skate

joannie alert, next on NBC with Bob Costas

kyla2

Final Flight
Lovely interview with a lovely girl. Her mother would be so proud of her. Her father is pretty impressive, to be able to get through this and be with his daughter as she competed. Had to be extremely hard for both of them.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Bob Costas was a tool. "So your mother how sad but really what I want to know is... how is it that you can speak English? You're not even American!"

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Did he really say that??

Well not that abruptly. But he spent the last half of the interview marveling at her ability to speak English and asking her how she learned. It was extremely patronizing and a very jarring shift in tone from the somber part of the interview.

John King

Final Flight
She's been speaking fluent English for a few years now. As a point of pride, she pulled out of her handbag a copy of "The Fountainhead". A book written by Russian-born Ayn Rand, read by Francophone-born Joannie, you have to say "Smart lady!"

janetfan

Match Penalty
I only saw part of the interview - but Joannie talked about how it was her mother who encouraged her to learn English. From that pov it made sense because they were talking about Joannie's mother and the influence she had on her life.
I enjoyed the part of the interview I saw and thought it was fine. Joannie came off very well but no surprise there.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah Bob Costas is worthless, but he ranks right up there with most of the color commentators for NBC.