Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Post Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

The competition was great, most skaters performed better than expected, but there can no be figure skating without some moments where the judging and/or scores makes us go "uhmmm""

So what where the top 5 performances in which the judges were too generous or too strict.

TOP 5 UNDERSCORED:

01. Johnny Weir's LP :
    For just a few seconds after hi finished skating, I thought he might medal by a few points
    if the judges go for it, sadly I was soo wrong.
    02. Pang & Tong's SP:
    While I was ok with the placement , they were too far from the top 3 and undservedly so.
    This probably cost them the gold medal.
    03. Belbin & Agosto's OD:
    Skating after VM was unfortunate for them, but still way better than the aboriginal show.
    04. Khokhlova & Novitski's FD:
    Ahh the tragic faith of being the second dropped team. Their FD was the voidiest of the
    evening. A shame.
    05. Mukhortova & Trankov's SP:
    They were beautiful despite the mistake but the judges didnt hesitate in burying them down
    to 8th below the local kids.

TOP 5 OVERSCORED:

01. Domnina & Shabalin's FD
    Nuff said.
    02. Chan's LP
    There was no need to held him up, he already had a default place in the gala.
    03. Lambiel's SP
    Such an amazinq skater, but always underperforming, yet the judges didnt mind at all.
    04. Zaretski's FD
    SamuelsonBates, CappelliniLanotte, CronPoirier, BobrovaSoloviev, all teams much deserving
    of a top 10 finish.
    05. Kim's FD.
    The best ladies winning performance in olympic history ??. Yes. A world record breaker with
    over 17 points in just GOE?? I dont think so.

Now, tell me yours...

Custom Title
    I think all in all, a ton of people were off scored

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    The scoring was all over the place. Some people got off easy on URs and edge calls, others got hit hard. Some had GOE's that were ridiculously through the roof, while others made you scratch your head and wonder why they weren't near the others. PCS marks for some people ranged by 3 points in one component. All of that makes it a little difficult to pick the top 5 over and underscored.... I would just say, generally, the scoring was inconsistent throughout all of the disciplines.

Lepisto's 126.61 still has me

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by reynycpr View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more.

she just only landed a 3lz in her free skating and got 126???

jugding from it, yu-na's high score were fairly judged.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more.

she just only landed a 3lz in her free skating and got 126???

jugding from it, yu-na's high score were fairly judged.
    Just imagine what if she happened to land a 3flip! This girl has been gifted through her career. On a good day, she could land 3 triples in a long program but still score above 105! Not big surprise for her 126 pts for landing 5 triples.
    European girls really need to start landing some serious jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by reynycpr View Post
    She landed 5 triples! even with two she cracks 110, so i wasnt that surprised.
    Overall for me last night the marks were so inflated! Mao's 67 PCS, Yuna's 150!!! just a joke, Althouhg i loved the marks they gave to Akiko, and Mirai

Undermarked
    Johnny Weir LP
    Nobunari Oda LP
    Plushenko LP(LOL, I am one of those who support the quad,even though i love the complete package in a program)
    Belbin and Agosto OD
    Tahakiko SP and LP

Over
    Laura Lepisto LP
    Yuna Kim Lp(Stunning program, the truly winner but really, 3t at the end of her lutz combo was way UR but whatever)
    Patrick Chan LP( amazing footwork, and he has a lot of good skating skills, nice edges, but not be considered better than Weir, that night)
    Plushenko Sp(Tech strong but flat and boring when the jumps were done)
    Mao asada LP(Just about the PCS, really she is nowhere near of her artistic level at 2008, hope to see her reborn herself for the next olympi cycle, she deserved the same olympic spot as Yuna for her hard owrked)

Banned
    Undermarked
    Johnny Weir LP
    Plushenko SP and LP (They need to seriously overhaul the point bases for jumps, QUAD is severely undervalued)
    Asada SP and LP (Triple axel should be worth at least one more point than the hardest triple-triple combo)
    Nagasu SP and LP
    Pang and Tong SP and LP (robbed!)

Overmarked
    Shen and Zhao SP and LP (especially LP)
    Yuna Kim SP and LP
    Rochette SP and LP
    Lysacek SP and LP
    Flatt SP and LP

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    The competition was great, most skaters performed better than expected, but there can no be figure skating without some moments where the judging and/or scores makes us go "uhmmm""

So what where the top 5 performances in which the judges were too generous or too strict.

TOP 5 UNDERSCORED:

01. Johnny Weir's LP :
    For just a few seconds after hi finished skating, I thought he might medal by a few points
    if the judges go for it, sadly I was soo wrong.
    02. Pang & Tong's SP:
    While I was ok with the placement , they were too far from the top 3 and undservedly so.
    This probably cost them the gold medal.
    03. Belbin & Agosto's OD:
    Skating after VM was unfortunate for them, but still way better than the aboriginal show.
    04. Khokhlova & Novitski's FD:
    Ahh the tragic faith of being the second dropped team. Their FD was the voidiest of the
    evening. A shame.
    05. Mukhortova & Trankov's SP:
    They were beautiful despite the mistake but the judges didnt hesitate in burying them down
    to 8th below the local kids.

TOP 5 OVERSCORED:

01. Domnina & Shabalin's FD
    Nuff said.
    02. Chan's LP
    There was no need to held him up, he already had a default place in the gala.
    03. Lambiel's SP
    Such an amazinq skater, but always underperforming, yet the judges didnt mind at all.
    04. Zaretski's FD
    SamuelsonBates, CappelliniLanotte, CronPoirier, BobrovaSoloviev, all teams much deserving
    of a top 10 finish.
    05. Kim's FD.
    The best ladies winning performance in olympic history ??. Yes. A world record breaker with

Now, tell me yours...
    I must agree with yours, although I think Kim's performance is #1 in my book for overscored. Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski's winning programs were much better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    I must agree with yours, although I think Kim's performance is #1 in my book for overscored. Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski's winning programs were much better.
    Except under COP Sarah Hughes would have gotten below 100 and possibly below 90 b/c she underrotated every single jump

Custom Title
    Mirai, Mao, Belbin and Agosto, Johhny Weir were all underscored. Yu Na and Lepisto were overscored. It has nothing to do with beauty. It may have more to do with nationality (Belbin and Agosto-they weren't going to put two US teams on the podium), personality (Johhny Weir) and gaining a track record (Mirai). None of which I agree with. Mao was underscored for what she did and Yu Na was overscored for what she did. Should have been closer although the result was right.
    Last edited by kyla2; 02-28-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Medalist
    Overscored: Flatt (if you go to non-US boards, you'll really get a taste of how she looks to non-American fans)
    Underscored: Plushenko, Mao, Pang/Tong SP, Johnny (both SP + LP)

Custom Title
    Artistry, it isn't only the European skating boards that view Rachael Flatt as lacking in artistry. I am American and I feel the same. I think she is a gifted jumper and a nice person. She is totally lacking in every other respect. If she worked at it, i think it could be fixed. But she and her coach have to acknowledge the issues-poor posture, average programs, poor music, poor choreography, and a lack of grace. Take some ballet and dance classes Rachael. Ashley Wagner made tremendous improvements in these areas. Rachael could too if she set her mind to it. One writer described her skating as "slow and methodical." He was right.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    05. Kim's FD.
    This was my thought too immediately after the FS, but after reconsideration and multiple viewings, I have to disagree with you. The difficulty levels of all her elements, especially her jumps, are so high that I actually think she deserved greater GOEs than she received. Much praise has been lauded on the height, speed, air position, and coverage of her jumps, with which I wholeheartedly agree. But her transitions are also unbelievably difficult. The spread-eagle/Ina Bauer entry into her 2A combination jumps are super difficult, as all the commentators have remarked. But also look at the 3S and second 3Lz jumps, for example. She stays on her landing foot for a full 3-4 seconds after each, performing 4 turns after the salchow and 2 turns after the lutz, and covering about 30 feet of ice after each, all on said same landing foot. That is just incredible! She needs to exit her jumps with perfect balance, incredible speed and perfect flow in order to pull that off. No other female skater even attempts these types of moves, and she should have gotten at least +2 GOEs on both jumps (she only got +1.4 GOE on her 3S). She more than deserved her positive GOEs and anyone who says different has either not paid enough attention to the details of her program or simply doesn't know enough about skating.
    Last edited by sleepyjl; 03-22-2010 at 02:01 AM.

On the Ice
    Top 5 underscored
    1. Johnny Weir's LP
    2. Belbin & Agosto's OD & FD they were underscored entire competition
    3. Denney & Barrett's LP
    4. Asada's LP PCS should have been higher
    5. Flatt's LP

Top 5 overscored
    1. Kim's LP Way too high
    2. Plushenko's SP & LP Jumps were ok, but PCS way too high
    3. Rochette's SP & LP
    4. Domnina & Shabalin's OD & FD
    5 Asada's LP where were the different types of jumps? only 3a?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast