Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Give the kid a break! She's only competed at 1 senior Worlds prior to these Games where she finished 5th. It wasn't expected of her to medal at these Games and she should be pleased with herself. It's not like she had a meltdown! For someone of her international status, 7th place at the Olympics is a respectable finish, I think. :) I certainly didn't expect her to finish higher than 5th here, no matter how well she skated.

I said Flatt skated her best. I realize that is the best she can do and being consistent is a nice accomplishment many skaters lack.
As to her finishing 4th - sorry but that is not how the judges or many other people saw it.

I hope Flatt can skate a little better at Worlds - maybe clean up the mistakes in her SP and then she might get a higher placement.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Being the only woman to ever do 2 triple axels has some bearing....as it should...it was amazing.

I tend to think the overall program should have more bearing, not just a single jump element. Joannie's program as a whole was much stronger than Mao's.

Audrey19

On the Ice
Overscored:
DomShab's OD & FD - hot mess that doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the podium
Plushenko - there was no real program or choreography, yet he received high scores
Lysacek - nothing special about him that would make him a true olympic champion
Chan's FS

Underscored:
everyone who suffered from the overscoring, especially Belgosto and Johnny

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I just rewatched Mirai LP again on my DVR to make sure. Yup, both flutzes. Her flip looked to be URed as well, but wasn't called on.

I saw Lepisto the moment Flatt was in 2nd place. Her 3-3 shouldn't be 1.8 GOE. She was totally off axis on her second 3T and overrotated a bit on the landing. Her lutz was wonky. Her 3Sal+2Toe had absolutely no flow coming out. It's like on a stand still after the 2T. Laura Lepisto has good basic skating skill, but what she did wasn't a 126+.

I stand by my choice. Rachael in 4th. Mirai in 5th. Miki in 6th. Lepisto in 7th.

I don't mean winner as in Olympics winner. I truly admire a student-athlete and think Flatt is an overall winner. How many girls can solve partial differential equations and do triple triple? Flatt!!!!!!!!!!

I did not know that they teach how to solve partial differential equations in high school these days. Wow, that's pretty impressive.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Worst of Olympic skating was D/S winning a medal.

Even with the use of props to help their jumps and transitions they still were not good enough.
Their skating was also slow and a bit sloppy.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Worst of Olympic skating was D/S winning a medal.

Even with the use of props to help their jumps and transitions they still were not good enough.
Their skating was also slow and a bit sloppy.

Belbin/Agosto had an uninspiring, blah OD and FD too though, so I have no problem with the bronze of Domnina/Shabalin. Personally, I wish Delobel/Schoenfelder could have finished with an Olympic medal though. The timing was all wrong for them to do that though.

miki88

Medalist
I tend to think the overall program should have more bearing, not just a single jump element. Joannie's program as a whole was much stronger than Mao's.

But the triple axel is not just one jump. It's the most difficult jump for women and it's special. So in that sense, it should bear a little more weight. Joannie's program in my opinion was a bit overscored. I would have placed Mirai over her in terms of overall quality.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the triple axel is not just one jump. It's the most difficult jump for women and it's special. So in that sense, it should bear a little more weight. Joannie's program in my opinion was a bit overscored. I would have placed Mirai over her in terms of overall quality.

I'll just agree to disagree with ya! ;)

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Give the kid a break! She's only competed at 1 senior Worlds prior to these Games where she finished 5th. It wasn't expected of her to medal at these Games and she should be pleased with herself. It's not like she had a meltdown! For someone of her international status, 7th place at the Olympics is a respectable finish, I think. :) I certainly didn't expect her to finish higher than 5th here, no matter how well she skated.

ITA. Actually Rachael did about the same as she did at World's. I can't comment on Lepisto's performance, if she should or should not have been ahead of her (NBC didn't show it), but one of the people ahead of her this year who wasn't ahead of her last year was Mirai, who wasn't at World's last year.

Frankly, I am disgusted at the animosity towards Rachael. I agree she didn't have the best long program music and costume, but I doubt she choreographed it herself. Someone on her team let her down by trying to make her skate to music better suited for a much more delicate girl, but Rachael did nothing wrong. She didn't fall, she didn't make any errors at all visible to the naked eye, she skated to her blah music in her blah costume about as good as anyone could have. Frankly, her artistry was way above Miki Ando's, yet nobody carries on about her. Oh, but she's a beautiful Asian girl, but Rachael is an average looking Caucasian, along with those other villianesses of figure skating, Kimmie and Sarah. My bad.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Belbin/Agosto had an uninspiring, blah OD and FD too though, so I have no problem with the bronze of Domnina/Shabalin. Personally, I wish Delobel/Schoenfelder could have finished with an Olympic medal though. The timing was all wrong for them to do that though.

Im rewatching the Dance competition and sadly I'd have to agree about Belbin&Agosto, at first I felt bad for they being dumped , beacuse the overscorins for DomShabs was so shamelessly obvious but they also didn't performed to my expectations. I guess they knew they were being left off and didnt put the heart in it. Frankly now I believe the real team who was robbed of bronze was Faiella&Scali.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
ITA. Actually Rachael did about the same as she did at World's. I can't comment on Lepisto's performance, if she should or should not have been ahead of her (NBC didn't show it), but one of the people ahead of her this year who wasn't ahead of her last year was Mirai, who wasn't at World's last year.

Frankly, I am disgusted at the animosity towards Rachael. I agree she didn't have the best long program music and costume, but I doubt she choreographed it herself. Someone on her team let her down by trying to make her skate to music better suited for a much more delicate girl, but Rachael did nothing wrong. She didn't fall, she didn't make any errors at all visible to the naked eye, she skated to her blah music in her blah costume about as good as anyone could have. Frankly, her artistry was way above Miki Ando's, yet nobody carries on about her. Oh, but she's a beautiful Asian girl, but Rachael is an average looking Caucasian, along with those other villianesses of figure skating, Kimmie and Sarah. My bad.

You know, if you want to undo a great point, accuse people of racism when it's not necessary. That's a surefire method to make yourself ignored. I hope you teach at the Elvis Stoijko School of Communication

prettykeys

Medalist
Underscored: YuNa Kim

hehehehehehe

OK, seriously though.

Overscored:
-Evan Lysacek SP (Plushenko and Takahashi deserved a wider margin of a lead)
-All the ladies (but I admit YuNa a little more than the others, particularly LP; I think the judges got carried away;145 would have been sufficiently proportionally boosted and deserving--adjusting SP and LP, I would have given her 220-221 total score still)
-Dom/Shabs OD, that was hideous. I admit their CD was the best (from my amateur, non-technical eyes), but just for the ugliness that was their OD, they should not have podium'd

Underscored:
Johnny Weir (SP and especially LP)
Kozuka LP

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Underscored-
Johnny Weir
Belbin/Agusto
Nagasu
Takahashi

Overscored-
Plushenko (his PCS scores were ridiculous for the programs he skated)
Yu Na
Chan
Lambiel
Lysachek

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I agree. You can't really compare it to the quad for men, because the Men have been trying and landing them for years, often multiple quads in the same program. The number of ladies who even tried triple axels can be counted on two hands, the number who landed them on one. It is a great techincal feat...landing three in the same even and landing them clean is amazing.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
But she's a chronic flutzer. She switched to the inside edge right at take off every single time. They deliberately not called her on that. Yukari can be borderline, but Fumie is also a chronic flutzer.

Anyway, just watched Rachael Flatt on the Terry Gannon Preview/Review show.
Bezic couldn't believe Flatt's flips were downgraded based on the fact that she was able to land a 3T after that. Peter and Kristi said they didn't see the underrotation at all and were very surprised.
Peter asked Flatt about the UR calls.
She said she was disappointed, she hasn't been called on the flips for a very long time. But it's for her to work on and make sure it's not an issue. and will fix it by worlds. It's something to take in stride at this time.
Asked how did she stay consistent.
She said she trained very hard and stayed confident and focused.
Asked about Stanford.
She said she got accepted after the opening ceremony. Her mom got the letter and thought it was just one of the spam mails the schools (read WashU in effing St. Louis) sent but when opened, it's an acceptance letter. This is definitely an "early write" from Stanford, accepting their "top" candidates. OMG. Early write from Stanford is a big deal because it means they really like you. She's waiting for Harvard, Princeton, Duke. Interesting, no mentioned of Yale.
She has 2 English sheepdogs, Fred and Ethel, from the Lucy Show. She's well spoken, expressed herself very clearly. I think she's one of the best technical skaters from the US. I'm so impressed by Rachael. Definitely will be stalking her on facebook.

Congrat, Flatt. You're the winner in my book.

You come off like a such a stalker. It's actually a little bit creepy....

Anyway, I admire Rachael's academic ability and I think its wonderful she can balance both skating and school. However, quite frankly, what should her academics, dogs, acceptance into Stanford, or supeior oratory skills have to do with her skating? The judges need to take into account her skating and ONLY her skating. These other things are irrelevant.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yeah, just reading by their posts, I honestly agree that her looks seem to explain a lot of these posters' dislike of hers and sometimes it's a bit too hard on her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Ahh, ok. I think you are misunderstanding the issues many people, myself included have with Rachael, and it has nothing to do about the way she looks and everything to do with the way she SKATES. And Rachael isn't average looking she's actually a total cutie. My problems with her skating are: her speed (lack thereof), her posture (slumped shoulders), her artistry (not the most flexible or expressive). I actually really like Rachael's SP and think she does a good job showing emotion there, plus her costume is very flattering, she plays up her bubbly persona, her footwork sequence is great, and the upbeat music makes it seem like she's skating faster. My biggest issue is that her LP really does not suit her style of skating - Rachael is a powerful jumper who can pull off a cutesy program easily, but when she skates to soft, slow music she just comes off as boring. Her style and build are similar to that of Alena Leonova and I think if Rachael had a jazzy LP set to Chicago or some other showtune music, her efforts would be more appreciated and she'd come off as a better skater. I really do like her SP quite a bit because it suits her, but I feel her LP highlights her weaknesses rather than showing off her strengths.

As for Mirai, Lepisto, Ando and if they deserved to be higher than Rachael, I will admit that being beautiful can help a skater earn a better placement but feel like this is very subtle and doesn't go the opposite way, ie a skater won't get pushed down lower because she isn't a knockout. I just think Lepisto, Mirai and to a lesser extent Miki all had programs that really suited their skating styles and emphasized their strengths. Mirai is cute and sassy, Laura elegant and upbeat, Miki serious and dramatic. If Mirai had skated to music like Yuna's Gershwin in the LP, I bet she would have seemed boring, or if Lepisto had skated to Chicago like Alena I'm sure we'd all be scratching our heads, or if Miki skated to Romeo and Juliet it would have been totally flat - the thing is, they didn't chose ill-fitting music for their LPs and Rachael did.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I actually quite enjoyed Rachael's 'Romantic Rhapsody' free program a few years ago. That was soft and elegant. I will agree, however, that this season's free program to Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is not suitable for her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I actually quite enjoyed Rachael's 'Romantic Rhapsody' free program a few years ago. That was soft and elegant. I will agree, however, that this season's free program to Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is not suitable for her.

I actually like that program of Rachael's too, but even though it was soft I thought she showed more personality. She did it at Worlds last year. But her LP for most of last year as well was not getting her the best results she probably could get because it was a little slow and boring.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
You come off like a such a stalker. It's actually a little bit creepy....

Anyway, I admire Rachael's academic ability and I think its wonderful she can balance both skating and school. However, quite frankly, what should her academics, dogs, acceptance into Stanford, or supeior oratory skills have to do with her skating? The judges need to take into account her skating and ONLY her skating. These other things are irrelevant.

Oh? Case in point: Joannie Rochette, Mirai Nagasu. Tell me the judges were not generous to both of these girls for their ordeals.
Quite frankly, they have nothing to do with her skating, but it makes me enjoy her skating a lot more. Understand?