Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

kyla2

Final Flight
Mirai, Mao, Belbin and Agosto, Johhny Weir were all underscored. Yu Na and Lepisto were overscored. It has nothing to do with beauty. It may have more to do with nationality (Belbin and Agosto-they weren't going to put two US teams on the podium), personality (Johhny Weir) and gaining a track record (Mirai). None of which I agree with. Mao was underscored for what she did and Yu Na was overscored for what she did. Should have been closer although the result was right.

Last edited:

Artistry

On the Ice
Overscored: Flatt (if you go to non-US boards, you'll really get a taste of how she looks to non-American fans)
Underscored: Plushenko, Mao, Pang/Tong SP, Johnny (both SP + LP)

kyla2

Final Flight
Artistry, it isn't only the European skating boards that view Rachael Flatt as lacking in artistry. I am American and I feel the same. I think she is a gifted jumper and a nice person. She is totally lacking in every other respect. If she worked at it, i think it could be fixed. But she and her coach have to acknowledge the issues-poor posture, average programs, poor music, poor choreography, and a lack of grace. Take some ballet and dance classes Rachael. Ashley Wagner made tremendous improvements in these areas. Rachael could too if she set her mind to it. One writer described her skating as "slow and methodical." He was right.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Artistry, it isn't only the European skating boards that view Rachael Flatt as lacking in artistry. I am American and I feel the same. I think she is a gifted jumper and a nice person. She is totally lacking in every other respect. If she worked at it, i think it could be fixed. But she and her coach have to acknowledge the issues-poor posture, average programs, poor music, poor choreography, and a lack of grace. Take some ballet and dance classes Rachael. Ashley Wagner made tremendous improvements in these areas. Rachael could too if she set her mind to it. One writer described her skating as "slow and methodical." He was right.

She does take ballet lessons:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/skater-rachael-flatts-winning-ways

StickyFumblings

Rinkside
These are all PCS related.

Overscored:
1. Plushenko SP and LP
2. Domnina/Shabalin OD and FD
3. Lepisto SP and LP
4. Ando SP and LP
5. Dube/Davison SP and LP

Undermarked:
1. Weir SP and LP
2. Belbin/Agosto OD and FD
3. Nagasu SP and LP
4. Kozuka SP and LP
5. Langlois/Hay SP

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What about Mirai?? Are you trying to say that Rachael was better than Mirai in the lp, coming from the fact that she had about a point lead over Mirai in the short??? I strongly disagree.

Mirai flutzed but wasn't called in the LP. TWICE. You can't fix a flutz in a day.
Rachael went for 3-3 in both SP and LP. Did all 5 different triples. Had harder combo. Performed to the music. Interpreted the music better than Mirai. I had Rachael at 4th, Mirai at 5th, Miki at 6th, Lepiseffingtoe at 7th.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mirai flutzed but wasn't called in the LP. TWICE. You can't fix a flutz in a day.
Rachael went for 3-3 in both SP and LP. Did all 5 different triples. Had harder combo. Performed to the music. Interpreted the music better than Mirai. I had Rachael at 4th, Mirai at 5th, Miki at 6th, Lepiseffingtoe at 7th.

Mirai's flutz has not always been called. Sometimes she does, at other times she doesn't. The same goes with Fumie, Yukari, and many other skaters. Perhaps she may be seen borderline for at least some tech callers.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Did you get a chance to see Lepisto's program? I find it odd defending Lepisto as I feel she's been overscored in the past, but besides the crazy "It's the Olympics so let's hand out PBs like it's going out of style" overscoring, I think she didn't get any of the "pretty European bonus." She skated a clean program which really allowed her to show off how good her skating skills. Love her music and how she interpreted the music. And yes the 3T-3T is not as difficult, but that 1.8 GOE was deserved, that combo couldn't have been any better.

Rachael may have that 3-3, but what's up with the slight mule kick she's doing with the flip? I think they're dinging her on GOE just for that. It's no where as bad as Caroline Zhang's but it's defintely noticeable. Rachael skated a great program and I dispute the the DGs on the flips, but she just doesn't have the artistry that Lepisto does and that defintely hurt her.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mirai's flutz has not always been called. Sometimes she does, at other times she doesn't. The same goes with Fumie, Yukari, and many other skaters. Perhaps she may be seen borderline for at least some tech callers.

But she's a chronic flutzer. She switched to the inside edge right at take off every single time. They deliberately not called her on that. Yukari can be borderline, but Fumie is also a chronic flutzer.

Anyway, just watched Rachael Flatt on the Terry Gannon Preview/Review show.
Bezic couldn't believe Flatt's flips were downgraded based on the fact that she was able to land a 3T after that. Peter and Kristi said they didn't see the underrotation at all and were very surprised.
Peter asked Flatt about the UR calls.
She said she was disappointed, she hasn't been called on the flips for a very long time. But it's for her to work on and make sure it's not an issue. and will fix it by worlds. It's something to take in stride at this time.
Asked how did she stay consistent.
She said she trained very hard and stayed confident and focused.
Asked about Stanford.
She said she got accepted after the opening ceremony. Her mom got the letter and thought it was just one of the spam mails the schools (read WashU in effing St. Louis) sent but when opened, it's an acceptance letter. This is definitely an "early write" from Stanford, accepting their "top" candidates. OMG. Early write from Stanford is a big deal because it means they really like you. She's waiting for Harvard, Princeton, Duke. Interesting, no mentioned of Yale.
She has 2 English sheepdogs, Fred and Ethel, from the Lucy Show. She's well spoken, expressed herself very clearly. I think she's one of the best technical skaters from the US. I'm so impressed by Rachael. Definitely will be stalking her on facebook.

Congrat, Flatt. You're the winner in my book.

Bennett

Record Breaker
But she's a chronic flutzer. She switched to the inside edge right at take off every single time. They deliberately not called her on that. Yukari can be borderline, but Fumie is also a chronic flutzer.
Fumie's is more like wobbly edges that's hard to define. I'd actually prefer a clear flutz (because you at least use one of the edges then), but it may have been her efforts to correct her flutz. Yukari has been called on both flip and lutz possibly because of the unclear edges.
I have had an impression last season that Mirai's edge is flat, rather than inside.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Fumie's is more like wobbly edges that's hard to define. I'd actually prefer a clear flutz (because you at least use one of the edges then), but it may have been her efforts to correct her flutz. Yukari has been called on both flip and lutz possibly because of the unclear edges.
I have had an impression last season that Mirai's edge is flat, rather than inside.

I just rewatched Mirai LP again on my DVR to make sure. Yup, both flutzes. Her flip looked to be URed as well, but wasn't called on.

Did you get a chance to see Lepisto's program? I find it odd defending Lepisto as I feel she's been overscored in the past, but besides the crazy "It's the Olympics so let's hand out PBs like it's going out of style" overscoring, I think she didn't get any of the "pretty European bonus." She skated a clean program which really allowed her to show off how good her skating skills. Love her music and how she interpreted the music. And yes the 3T-3T is not as difficult, but that 1.8 GOE was deserved, that combo couldn't have been any better.

Rachael may have that 3-3, but what's up with the slight mule kick she's doing with the flip? I think they're dinging her on GOE just for that. It's no where as bad as Caroline Zhang's but it's defintely noticeable. Rachael skated a great program and I dispute the the DGs on the flips, but she just doesn't have the artistry that Lepisto does and that defintely hurt her.

I saw Lepisto the moment Flatt was in 2nd place. Her 3-3 shouldn't be 1.8 GOE. She was totally off axis on her second 3T and overrotated a bit on the landing. Her lutz was wonky. Her 3Sal+2Toe had absolutely no flow coming out. It's like on a stand still after the 2T. Laura Lepisto has good basic skating skill, but what she did wasn't a 126+.

I stand by my choice. Rachael in 4th. Mirai in 5th. Miki in 6th. Lepisto in 7th.

aftertherain said:
And Yuna is the winner in mine.
I don't mean winner as in Olympics winner. I truly admire a student-athlete and think Flatt is an overall winner. How many girls can solve partial differential equations and do triple triple? Flatt!!!!!!!!!!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Hmm, that does not mean Krsiti was the underdog. From her quote, it was a strategy...to lessen the pressure for her, and very smart of her. She was definately the co-favorite with Madori going into the '92 Olympics. She knew she had to have the 3Lz-3T with a better program to fight off Madori's 3A.

Midori dominated the early Grand Prix series coming into the Olympics. Today on the show, Kristi said she always had Midori in the back of her mind when she trained, thinking what would Midori do, what she's practicing etc... She said she wouldn't mind losing to Midori because Midori is technically the best. Midori is very gracious and nice and always wished Kristi good luck and whatever nice things people do to one another. She said she felt the same way '92 and now, the triple axel program vs. the non triple axel program.

Both Peter and Kristi said the base value for 3A for ladies should go up. The base value for 4T for men should go up.
Kristi also said that the downgrade rule should be less harsh for UR. She wanted people to push the sport and try new things and should be rewarded appropriately. This is coming from a lady who did 3Z-3T to keep up with a 3A. Totally agree!!!!

Terry asked Kristi what's her favorite moment of the Olympics. Kristi said meeting Tamara Moskvina. Kristi said she could listen to Moskvina all day. I heart Kristi.

mishieru07

On the Ice
I don't mean winner as in Olympics winner. I truly admire a student-athlete and think Flatt is an overall winner. How many girls can solve partial differential equations and do triple triple? Flatt!!!!!!!!!!

I admire Flatt for her work ethic too. But I simply cannot "get" her artistry. Shizuka Arakawa ain't a brainiac (she did graduate from Waseda Uni IIRC) but I'll watch her anyday. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Top 5 Overscored:
DomShabs OD + FD - Hot mess TTM, especially after the sublime V/M and D/W. Sloppy, slow and empty choreographically, especially the OD. Those belts should be illegal. I hope Tracy's right in saying they will be by next season.
Dube/ Davison SP - Why are they above M/T when both had a fall?
Chan LP - Love him but thought it was overmarked.
Flatt SP - I thought I saw a UR. The 3-3 was barely squeezed out IIRC.

Top 5 Underscored:
Belbin /Agosto OD + FD - They wuzrobbed of Bronze. I thought they were better than the Russians on both nights.
Pang/ Tong SP - I'd make the point difference between them and K/S less. No difference to the final standings though.
Weir LP - Another wuzrobbed. I wuzrobbed of watching his Lady Gaga ex!
Langlois/ Hay SP - I'll place them ahead of D/D.

There was massive inflation in all the events but the judges got the podiums right anyway. Well with the exception of DomShabs imo.

tetana

Rinkside
To be honest,,,

little bit Overscored
Mao
little bit Underscored
Joannie

Actually I expected Joannie would get 2nd rank when she was finished. I think she was underscored because Mao was overscored. Mao is a so talented girl. However, her jumps in olympic lp were very messy and her interpertion just didn't match with the music at all. I thought some jumps should've been downgraded. However, if i consider she performed just after Yu-na, maybe she should've gotten some advantages unlike the others, so maybe judges did good works. That's why I was satified with the result. In another side, I don't know it was fair for Joannie, though.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest,,,

little bit Overscored
Mao
little bit Underscored
Joannie

Actually I expected Joannie would get 2nd rank when she was finished. I think she was underscored because Mao was overscored. Mao is a so talented girl. However, her jumps in olympic lp were very messy and her interpertion just didn't match with the music at all. I thought some jumps should've been downgraded. However, if i consider she performed just after Yu-na, maybe she should've gotten some advantages unlike the others, so maybe judges did good works. That's why I was satified with the result. In another side, I don't know it was fair for Joannie, though.

Yes, I have a problem with the ladies' Olympic silver medalist having only 3 different types of triples in her LP (Axel, flip, and loop). Mao didn't attempt a 3Lutz or a 3Salchow at all and she singled her 3toe attempt, only doing 4 triples in total (with the 2nd 3flip being badly under-rotated and downgraded by the panel). I guess having 7 triples (5 different types) like Joannie doesn't matter anymore to the judges. :disapp::scowl:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I had Rachael at 4th, Mirai at 5th, Miki at 6th, Lepiseffingtoe at 7th.

You mean you didn't have Rachael 1st,...... :laugh:

I thought she skated her best - but unfortunately her best is just not good enough.

The worst finish by by a US Lady champion at the Olympics in over 50 years, and yet she said she was pleased with herself. :eek:hwell:

After the Ladies LP's Button said Rachael is a steady performer. He couldn't bring himself to say anything more about her. Regarding Mirai, he said she has it all and has the talent to become a world champion.

Justafan

On the Ice
You mean you didn't have Rachael 1st,...... :laugh:

I thought she skated her best - but unfortunately her best is just not good enough.

The worst finish by by a US Lady champion at the Olympics in over 50 years, and yet she said she was pleased with herself. :eek:hwell:

After the Ladies LP's Button said Rachael is a steady performer. He couldn't bring himself to say anything more about her. Regarding Mirai, he said she has it all and has the talent to become a world champion.

Yep...there is no way Rachael should have been 4th. Her posture was poor..her shoulders were slumped...her energy seemed forced...it all affects the presentation. Mirai on the other hand had lovely positions....she is very balletic in her movements.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Give the kid a break! She's only competed at 1 senior Worlds prior to these Games where she finished 5th. It wasn't expected of her to medal at these Games and she should be pleased with herself. It's not like she had a meltdown! For someone of her international status, 7th place at the Olympics is a respectable finish, I think. :) I certainly didn't expect her to finish higher than 5th here, no matter how well she skated.

Justafan

On the Ice
Yes, I have a problem with the ladies' Olympic silver medalist having only 3 different types of triples in her LP (Axel, flip, and loop). Mao didn't attempt a 3Lutz or a 3Salchow at all and she singled her 3toe attempt, only doing 4 triples in total (with the 2nd 3flip being badly under-rotated and downgraded by the panel). I guess having 7 triples (5 different types) like Joannie doesn't matter anymore to the judges. :disapp::scowl:

Being the only woman to ever do 2 triple axels has some bearing....as it should...it was amazing.