Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Jenaj, couldn't resist the opportunity to do more stats.
* The last time that a U.S. champion finished worse than Rachael was actually in 1994, when Tonya Harding finished 8th (but Nancy finished with the silver, as we all know.) But since Tonya technical does not have the U.S. title anymore, the last time there was a worse showing was in 1948 when Gretchen Merill also finished 8th.
* Since 1920 when women's figure skating was in the Olympics in some form — only five U.S. figures skating ladies champions did not make the podium. (Teresa Weld Blanchard, 1924, 4th; Maribel Vinson, 1928, 4th; Gretchen Merrill, 1948, 8th; Tonya Harding, 1994 8th*; and Rachael Flatt, 2010, 7th) -- as mentioned Harding shouldn't really count because of the circumstances, but I'm just just going to put it out there.

That was quite educational....

ETA: janetfan beat me to it!

I thought about Tonya - but Nancy would have won if she hadn't been whacked over the knee. Tonya was stripped of her title but then took it to court which allowed her to skate in Lillehamer.
Too bad because the world was then deprived of seeing Princess Michelle (who had not yet become the Kween :)) skate in the '94 Olympics at the tender age of 13.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought about Tonya - but Nancy would have won if she hadn't been whacked over the knee. Tonya was stripped of her title but then took it to court which allowed her to skate in Lillehamer.
Too bad because the world was then deprived of seeing Princess Michelle (who had not yet become the Kween :)) skate in the '94 Olympics at the tender age of 12.

Well we don't know that really. Nancy could have had one of those freak skates that she had in '93 (the reason we only had two spots in '94 in the first place) and done poorly.

Regardless, if you don't count Tanya the stat is more significant — just four U.S. champions not showing up on the podium in the history of the Olympics.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well we don't know that really. Nancy could have had one of those freak skates that she had in '93 (the reason we only had two spots in '94 in the first place) and done poorly.

Regardless, if you don't count Tanya the stat is more significant — just four U.S. champions not showing up on the podium in the history of the Olympics.

There is always the possiblity but by '94 US Skating was cold on Harding and behind Nancy all the way. Nancy would have had to crash and burn to a cinder not to have won US Natls in '94.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There is always the possiblity but by '94 US Skating was cold on Harding and behind Nancy all the way. Nancy would have had to crash and burn to a cinder not to have won US Natls in '94.

That is true. But USFSA got to give Tonya credit for upping the popularity of figure skating during that Olympics. ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
That is true. But USFSA got to give Tonya credit for upping the popularity of figure skating during that Olympics. ;)

No doubt about that. :agree:

We saw NBC do the same thing with Plushy as they portrayed him as the evil and arrogant Russian. And he did not let NBC down either :laugh:

I wish we would have seen this at the '94 Olympics in place of Harding's horrible performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hnVEfLmAuA

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I don't get your judgement about Yuna being overscored. Most of you say that her program was very good and some say that it was the best in the history, but at the same time almost everyone says that she was overscored. But if her program was really that good, it should have much more points than others, it's logical, I guess.

Who was underscored for me: Johnny Weir. I don't get it, I didn't watch his program more than once, so I'm not sure if there is any problem with jumps or something, but he left really good impression on me, I was sure he would score higher.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
The US girls have nothing to be ashamed of.
The person who won, Yu Na, was unbeatable, deserved to win, and was overmarked to boot. Nobody was getting ahead of her.

The person who came in 2nd broke the triple axel record. An exceptional performance

The person who came in 3rd was from the home country that had several people overmarked throughout the competition (although in her case, it was not egregious as it was in the men's and pairs as she did quite well), and was a sentimental favorite. She would be kept on the podium barring a total breakdown, which she did not have.

Nobody from any country was going to dislodge a clean-skating YuNa, Mao or Joannie. They had been around a long time and had the judge's respect and PCS points.

The US sent two borderline unknowns, who were several years younger than the medalists. Both finished in the top 7 and one was ONE SPOT OFF THE PODIUM. I believe Rachael was undermarked in case there was a meltdown from one of the favorites. Had she skated after them, she may have been higher, although probably not on the podium. She does have some weaknesses in her skating, and her program was boring. But she could have been somewhere around 4-5, certainly higher than Miki, whose artistry is worse.

If Joannie wasn't from Canada and didn't have such a sad tale, maybe Mirai would have gotten the bronze. Mirai made fewer mistakes than Joannie in the lp, at least to the naked eye.

The real question about US skating is not "Why didn't these two teenagers finish higher?" but "Where was our experienced adult skater with years of experience who had won the judges' respect during the quadrennial?"

The answer to that is: A--completely imploded and vanished (World Champion Kimmie) B--Fell Splat on the Ice (Alissa) or C--gave it up to go to Harvard, then made a halfhearted comeback attempt (Emily). D--Still around, but in a terrible slump (Former GPF short program winner Caroline)

It would have been great if Mirai or Rachael had shocked everyone and wrested a medal away from the seasoned veterans. But they didn't. It was near impossible. They skated clean, but because they are relative unknowns and still kind of childlike, they got low PCS scores and did not get the benefit of the doubt. We did not have a star to send this year. We sent two kids, and they exceeded everyone's expectations, especially Mirai.

To put Rachael's "poor showing" in perspective, compare her to the US Men's Champion. He isn't a youngster who's a little awkward, like Rachael. He has it all--a quad, artistry, etc. And he can't stand pressure, and completely fell apart, missing most of his jumps in the short program. Or how about the 2006 champion? He partied so hard, he missed the bus and lost his only chance to get a medal. When he finally got his act together and skated well, he was out of vogue with the judges and got clobbered by them. Rachael and Mirai remained calm and sober, give them credit for that.

Hopefully, we'll send Rachael and Mirai to Sochi. By then, Mirai won't look so "sweet 16" and Rachael will improve her posture, stretch and choreography. By then, they would have been around a while, and would be considered favorites. But they could both be long gone by then, injured or in college and replaced with two other teens with little experience. It's a crapshoot.

I hope I said that nicely and don't have to take another class at Elvis Stojko's Communications School! (Hmm--I wonder if it gives out Master's Degrees)

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The next worse I can think of going back to 1956 would have been 1964. This was a couple of years after the '61 plane crash that took our entire team.
15 year old Peggy Fleming finished 6h and then went on to win the OGM in '68.

If this helps your perspective here is a list of US Olympic medal winning Ladies going back to 1956.
1956 - Tenley Albright wins Gold and Carol Heiss wins Silver.
1960 - Carol Heiss wins Gold
1964 - Peggy Fleming finishes 6th
1968 - Peggy wins Gold
1972 - Janet Lynn wins Bronze
1976 - Dorothy Hamill wins Gold
1980 - Linda Fratiane robbed of Gold but wins Silver
1984 - Roz Sumners wins Silver
1988 - Debbi Thomas wins Bronze
1992 - Kristi wins Gold, Nancy wins Bronze
1994 - Nancy wins Silver but was the better skater that night
1998 - Tara wins Gold, Michelle Silver
2002 - Sarah wins Gold, Michelle Bronze
2006 - Sasha wins Silver

2010 - Rachale Flatt finishes 7th

Does that give you a better understanding that a 7th place finish at the Olympics is disappointing for a US Lady champion? We have t go back, way back for such a poor showing from our champion.

Not really. It just says that the US doesn't really have an international star at the moment, like it has in the past. They have had a new US champion every year since 2006 and every year since 2007, the current champion has not done well on the international scene. Anything off Olympic the podium is a disappointment given the past track record.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The US girls have nothing to be ashamed of.
The person who won, Yu Na, was unbeatable, deserved to win, and was overmarked to boot. Nobody was getting ahead of her.

The person who came in 2nd broke the triple axel record. An exceptional performance

The person who came in 3rd was from the home country that had several people overmarked throughout the competition (although in her case, it was not egregious as it was in the men's and pairs as she did quite well), and was a sentimental favorite. She would be kept on the podium barring a total breakdown, which she did not have.

Nobody from any country was going to dislodge a clean-skating YuNa, Mao or Joannie. They had been around a long time and had the judge's respect and PCS points.

The US sent two borderline unknowns, who were several years younger than the medalists. Both finished in the top 7 and one was ONE SPOT OFF THE PODIUM. I believe Rachael was undermarked in case there was a meltdown from one of the favorites. Had she skated after them, she may have been higher, although probably not on the podium. She does have some weaknesses in her skating, and her program was boring. But she could have been somewhere around 4-5, certainly higher than Miki, whose artistry is worse.

If Joannie wasn't from Canada and didn't have such a sad tale, maybe Mirai would have gotten the bronze. Mirai made fewer mistakes than Joannie in the lp, at least to the naked eye.

The real question about US skating is not "Why didn't these two teenagers finish higher?" but "Where was our experienced adult skater with years of experience who had won the judges' respect during the quadrennial?"

The answer to that is: A--completely imploded and vanished (World Champion Kimmie) B--Fell Splat on the Ice (Alissa) or C--gave it up to go to Harvard, then made a halfhearted comeback attempt (Emily). D--Still around, but in a terrible slump (Former GPF short program winner Caroline)

You forgot Ashley and Sasha! Haha, but you made some very good points. Miki's artistry is quite a bit worse than Rachael's but I think because Miki is beautiful and thin her looking pretty on the ice can be seen as artistic? Maybe? And I agree, Yuna and Mao are phenoms, and I knew right from the start, and especially after her mom died, that the judges would let Joannie win that bronze medal unless she pulled a Carolina. So really, our girls did well. If Lepisto hadn't surprised us all Rachael would have been in 5th, and 7th is quite respectable considering the depth of the field.

babyalligator

On the Ice
on a funnier note when it comes to under/over scoring, did anyone else catch the opening of colbert's show monday?
:laugh:

pengdequan

Rinkside
Underscored:pang/Tong sp,Shen/Zhao sp,M/T sp,B/A FD,D/S(FRA) FD,takahashi sp
Overscored:S/S sp,K/S sp,D/D sp,D/S(RUS) FD,S/S lp(a little bit,but won't effect the result),S/Z lp(a little bit ,but won't effect the result),Yuna lp(a little bit ,but won't effect the result),Mao lp(I don't know why,but since this Olympics she has become my least favourite skater in all disciplines of all time,even though she is such a beautiful skater on the ice:think:)

Last edited:

Saundy

On the Ice
This is how I think it should have panned out...

Ladies
1. Yu Na
2. Joannie
3. Mirai
4. Mao (WAY overscored in the long. That silver was a gift IMO)

Dance
1. V/M
2. D/W
3. B/A ( I have always found them boring, but they out-skated the Russians)
4. D/S (Their medal was also a gift...el boro!)

Pairs
They got it right.

Men
1. Evan
2. Johnny
3. Plushy (Another overscore there...)

shine

Record Breaker
I don't understand how people can complain about Rochette being overscored when she scored about the same as Asada doing 7 triples (1 step out) while Asada only had 4? If anything, Nagasu is UNDERSCORED.

ms9421

Spectator
6 Overscored:
Dube/Davison SP
Lysacek SP
Flatt SP
Ando SP
Asada LP
Chan LP

(NBC didn't bother to even show Lepisto's LP so I can't comment on it.)

4 Underscored:
Mukhortova/Trankov SP
Takahashi SP
Kozuka LP
Weir LP

Hey Flatt was under score on both your idoit, Also you people need stop this hate towards Americans, Rachael Flatt Hell alot better Person than you people act on these dumb boards . Sick world wining like babys when we win these medals. Racheal deserve to be aleasts Third. She never complian about once and I know who did it Russia! not People of that country but the JUdges push by the Goverment which I have no love lost with that country for tring to Nuc my family FL in 1960's. Thay continue shoot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hey Flatt was under score on both your idoit, Also you people need stop this hate towards Americans, Rachael Flatt Hell alot better Person than you people act on these dumb boards . Sick world wining like babys when we win these medals. Racheal deserve to be aleasts Third. She never complian about once and I know who did it Russia! not People of that country but the JUdges push by the Goverment which I have no love lost with that country for tring to Nuc my family FL in 1960's. Thay continue shoot themselves in the foot.

If you think Flatt was underscored, what about Leonova? She landed 7 triples in the FS and got 110. I agree that Flatt was a bit underscored in the LP but not in the SP, she is a good jumper but all her other qualities are not up to snuff with the top ladies.

BarbC

Rinkside
Overscored -- Yu-na Kim. She would've won anyway. She did not need to have outrageously high PCS scores to do so.

Underscored -- Johnny Weir, in both short and long programs (most especially the latter). He was robbed of the bronze medal; he did not get the PCS scores he deserved and actually got higher scores for _technical merit_ -- an artistic skater getting higher in technique is something I never expected, nor wished to see. And the crowd knew he was robbed, too -- so did Plushenko. (I think one of the reasons Plushenko was a tad off in how he presented his program is because he had to skate after Weir, who brought the house down, then did not get the scores he deserved.)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't understand how people can complain about Rochette being overscored when she scored about the same as Asada doing 7 triples (1 step out) while Asada only had 4? If anything, Nagasu is UNDERSCORED.

2 of the triples are in sequence, so both triples lost 20% of the base value.
Asada had 4, but 2 are triple axels, which are more than 4 triple toes.
If anything, Rochette is overscored for the SP.

taaak

Rinkside
top 5 underscored:
1.elene gedevanishvili sp
2.Mukhortova/Trankov SP
3..Kozuka LP
4.Weir LP
5.daisuke sp

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Since nothing was really expected of Rachel and Mirai and both skated respectably I feel no real surprise that Rachel felt good about her performance. She did all she was could possibly do. I was not disappointed with her. She agruably should have had higher scores in the LP. (Although I felt she got by with a couple of blantant UR's in the short program.)
You mean you didn't have Rachael 1st,...... :laugh:

I thought she skated her best - but unfortunately her best is just not good enough.

The worst finish by by a US Lady champion at the Olympics in over 50 years, and yet she said she was pleased with herself. :eek:hwell:

After the Ladies LP's Button said Rachael is a steady performer. He couldn't bring himself to say anything more about her. Regarding Mirai, he said she has it all and has the talent to become a world champion.