Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Top 5 Underscored

1) Johnny Weir LP
2) Belbin and Agosto FD
3) Belbin and Agosto OD.. they were basically underscored the whole time
4) Langlois and Hay SP
5) Denney and Barrett LP

Top 5 Overscored

1) Domnina and Shabalin FD
2) Domnina and Shabalin OD
3) Dube and Davison SP
4) Jeremy Abbott LP
5) Rochette LP (sorry)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Top 5 Underscored:

1.) Kozuka SP and LP
2.) Johnny Weir LP
3.) Mirai SP
4.) Brezina SP and LP
5.) Oda SP

Top 5 Overscored:

1.) Dube and Davison SP
2.) Lambiel SP and LP
3.) Joannie SP (I thought the FS score was fine considering the scores of others)
4.) Domnina and Shabalin FD and OD
5.) Jermey Abbott LP

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Thanks for sharing this. I like Michael Weiss's comments. Very balanced. Did they say anything about Flatt? I have no idea what anyone is saying about her UR calls aside from her coach since I can't get NBC.

Everyone was surprised. Since she's not in contention, no one said anything more than that.
I suspect they held her down just to make sure had there been a splatfest, she would still be down enough to keep her off the podium. I forgot who said this but the first flip should definitely be rotated because she still had enough speed to execute the 3T. The second 3F, Scott said it was borderline and should go to her.

I'm really proud of Rachael and think she deserves 4th place. Her score should be really close to Joannie's 3rd place though.

Fan123

Rinkside
I know. Kidding.

Terry: Did you feel that [pressure] in 92?
Kristi: No, the pressure was on Midori. Leading up to the competition was the triple axel, the triple axel, the triple axel. And the whole question was can my program hold up to her program with the triple axel. I felt like I was the underdog coming into the Olympics. And I played that way, I kept telling myself that and deflected the pressure.

So, from first hand source, Kristi was the underdog in '92, not co-favorite like some posters said before.
Hmm, that does not mean Krsiti was the underdog. From her quote, it was a strategy...to lessen the pressure for her, and very smart of her. She was definately the co-favorite with Madori going into the '92 Olympics. She knew she had to have the 3Lz-3T with a better program to fight off Madori's 3A.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Everyone was surprised. Since she's not in contention, no one said anything more than that.
I suspect they held her down just to make sure had there been a splatfest, she would still be down enough to keep her off the podium. I forgot who said this but the first flip should definitely be rotated because she still had enough speed to execute the 3T. The second 3F, Scott said it was borderline and should go to her.

I'm really proud of Rachael and think she deserves 4th place. Her score should be really close to Joannie's 3rd place though.

You don't think Mirai deserved 4th? :scowl: Mirai was awesome! I think Rachael should have been 5th or 6th, I'd have her about even with Miki at this event.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Both of Mirai's, most obviously the SP. If there wasn't a system check in place as to whether or not someone had "paid their dues" to the sport she would've medaled. Not that I oppose the medalists and I understand that the "pay your dues" mechanism is ingrained in the sport. I'm just sayin'.

sbtrn

Spectator
Yu Na Kim was way overscored especially in LP. Best ladies program in Olympic history? Did anyone see Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Shizuka Arakawa to name a few. Lu Chen in 1998 was awesome and she got the bronze medal. No doubt she is a beautiful skater, but I just didn't feel the excitement when I watched her like I felt when I watched the above skaters.
Mao Asado, way underscored. Rachel Flatt and Miria Nagasu, underscored.
Belbin and Agosto, underscored. Johnny Weir underscored. Plushenko, way overscored.

BlackAxel

Final Flight

What about Mirai?? Are you trying to say that Rachael was better than Mirai in the lp, coming from the fact that she had about a point lead over Mirai in the short??? I strongly disagree.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
How do I get the feeling that almost every US skater was underscored (except Evan) and every other top 10 skater was overscored :sheesh:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
The competition was great, most skaters performed better than expected, but there can no be figure skating without some moments where the judging and/or scores makes us go "uhmmm"" :think::unsure:

So what where the top 5 performances in which the judges were too generous or too strict.

TOP 5 UNDERSCORED:

01. Johnny Weir's LP :
For just a few seconds after hi finished skating, I thought he might medal by a few points
if the judges go for it, sadly I was soo wrong.
02. Pang & Tong's SP:
While I was ok with the placement , they were too far from the top 3 and undservedly so.
This probably cost them the gold medal.
03. Belbin & Agosto's OD:
Skating after VM was unfortunate for them, but still way better than the aboriginal show.
04. Khokhlova & Novitski's FD:
Ahh the tragic faith of being the second dropped team. Their FD was the voidiest of the
evening. A shame.
05. Mukhortova & Trankov's SP:
They were beautiful despite the mistake but the judges didnt hesitate in burying them down
to 8th below the local kids.

TOP 5 OVERSCORED:

01. Domnina & Shabalin's FD
Nuff said.
02. Chan's LP
There was no need to held him up, he already had a default place in the gala.
03. Lambiel's SP
Such an amazinq skater, but always underperforming, yet the judges didnt mind at all.
04. Zaretski's FD
SamuelsonBates, CappelliniLanotte, CronPoirier, BobrovaSoloviev, all teams much deserving
of a top 10 finish.
05. Kim's FD.
The best ladies winning performance in olympic history ??. Yes. A world record breaker with
over 17 points in just GOE?? I dont think so.

Now, tell me yours...

I must agree with yours, although I think Kim's performance is #1 in my book for overscored. Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski's winning programs were much better.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I agree. Every US skater except Evan was underscored. He was the only one who got the marks he deserved.

Actually I don't feel that way. I just get that feeling from this thread. But of course it's nothing new as far the most writers are from US! I think Mirai and Rachael got what they earned, Mirai's PCS were almost too high in LP, imho. But I'm just a beautiful European, Finn, so I know nothing of this sports :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually I don't feel that way. I just get that feeling from this thread. But of course it's nothing new as far the most writers are from US! I think Mirai and Rachael got what they earned, Mirai's PCS were almost too high in LP, imho. But I'm just a beautiful European, Finn, so I know nothing of this sports :laugh:

Were Mirai's pcs so high or was it her TES and GOE that gave her a good score?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
How do I get the feeling that almost every US skater was underscored (except Evan) and every other top 10 skater was overscored :sheesh:

LOL, this is a US-Canadian centered discussion board after all. :laugh: If you go to other websites the story is quite different..

jennylovskt

Medalist
Actually, it's easy to answer the thread opener's question. Anyone who has massive PCS and didn't deserve it were over scored, and vise versa.

Overscored:
1. Lysacek's SP
2. Lysacek's LP (didn't deserve the total score which has resulted in his win)
3. D/S's OD
4. D/S's FD (should be in fourth place over all)
5. Yu Na Kim's LP (even though she deserved the win)

Underscored:
1. Takahashi's LP (PCS level was too low. It was ridiculously placed on the same level as Lysacek's:disagree:)
2. Plushenko's SP
3. B/A's OD
4. P/T's LP

Last edited:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Were Mirai's pcs so high or was it her TES and GOE that gave her a good score?

No, I think her TES and GOE were earned, she made the elements clean and beautifully. But when making Carmen or any other very well-known music, you should give something new, something strong. That I could'n see. Besides music, even though she showed a lot more maturity than her approximately-age-competitors like Kwak, Makarova, Flatt, Hecken, I don't think she is higher eg. in performance and interpretation than Meier, Phaneuf, Korpi, Suzuki... Well, I know this is just a matter of taste. But when thinking this side of the figure skating and not only jumps, I think better competitors to US would have been eg. Cohen and Czisny. Nagasu will be fantastic in few years, she already showed some sparks of her strong presentation. Much more than Flatt, who I feel quite boring skater, sorry guys...

doug_log

On the Ice
Over Scored:
Plushenko LP
Plushenko SP
Lambiel SP
Lambiel LP
Ando SP

Under Scored:
Flatt LP
B/A FD
Oda LP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No, I think her TES and GOE were earned, she made the elements clean and beautifully. But when making Carmen or any other very well-known music, you should give something new, something strong. That I could'n see. Besides music, even though she showed a lot more maturity than her approximately-age-competitors like Kwak, Makarova, Flatt, Hecken, I don't think she is higher eg. in performance and interpretation than Meier, Phaneuf, Korpi, Suzuki... Well, I know this is just a matter of taste. But when thinking this side of the figure skating and not only jumps, I think better competitors to US would have been eg. Cohen and Czisny. Nagasu will be fantastic in few years, she already showed some sparks of her strong presentation. Much more than Flatt, who I feel quite boring skater, sorry guys...

PCS scores are higher when you perform a really good program and lower when you perform a poor one. Mirai's PCS were higher than Meier, Phanuef, Korpi because she delivered a clean performance while Meier and Phanuef put down pretty poor performances and Kiira's was only alright (she looked very tentative going into a lot of her jumps). We saw this in the men's competition - Joubert and Verner are both capable of getting very high PCS but because they performed so poorly their PCS were not much higher than most of the men that finished similarly to them in 15th-20th position even though these men are tier 2 skaters and they are not.

So essentially what i'm trying to say is that a clean Meier, Phanuef, Korpi likely would have had PCS comparable to or higher than to those of Mirai. The other thing is that Mirai skates very fast and does make an effort to really emote to her music, and has good transitions what with her spread eagle, ina bauer and other clever connecting steps.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree that Meier is fantastic in interpretation and choreo. But she is relatively slow. Mirai is very fast. In PCS, SS is usually a deciding factor (this didn't apply to Stephane's performances at Oly though).

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
I must agree with yours, although I think Kim's performance is #1 in my book for overscored. Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski's winning programs were much better.

Except under COP Sarah Hughes would have gotten below 100 and possibly below 90 b/c she underrotated every single jump