Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

mcc

Rinkside
Mao Asada SP, LP were underscored. (see explanation below)
Rachael Flatt LP was underscored. Random downgrades. Her flips were fine, as good as Mirai's questionable flip that's clearly rotated on ice. At Skate America, Sandra was saying how she had so much transition, hard transition, going into her 2 lutzes. None of that was reflected in her GOE.

I just watched Figure Skating Review/Preview with Terry Gannon, Kristi Yamguchi, and Peter.
Peter: 3A-2T harder jump
Kristi: harder jump, yes. Mao got lower GOE on a much more difficult jump combination
Michael Weiss: Mao Asada 3A-2T, which blows my mind that it's not worth more. I mean, you ask any guy in figure skating that if they'd rather do a 3A-2T or a 3F-3T or 3Z-3T, they would always say the triple triple combination is easier. The front end take off on the triple axel is much harder so the fact that it's lower... A woman did a 3A-2T in a short program and I think that should be valued higher but Yuna gained her points because she executed well.
Terry Gannon: Do you think that they will go back and weight the 3A more?
Michael Weiss: Absolutely, the 3A and 4T are the most difficult jumps to do and should be rewarded I don't want it to be a jump contest, I like the other aspect of the sport, I like things to be executed really well. a 3F-3T executed well should be worth more than a bad 3A.

So there you have it, all 3 thought the 3A-2T are a much harder combination than the 3Z-3T and the base should be worth higher. However, they would give higher GOE to Yuna and higher base to Mao. In reality, Mao got lower base and lower GOE. Real skaters have spoken and unanimously agreed that 3A-2T base should be higher.

Mao declared she will skate until Sochi and now many insist 3A should be rewarded higher than now.
Then how about raising the base value of 3A step by step until Mao can beat Yuna in every competition with that 3A?
20 point would be enough? or 30 point?
I wonder what will happen if someday Yuna come back with tremendous 3A-3T.

newvie

Rinkside

So there you have it, all 3 thought the 3A-2T are a much harder combination than the 3Z-3T and the base should be worth higher. However, they would give higher GOE to Yuna and higher base to Mao. In reality, Mao got lower base and lower GOE. Real skaters have spoken and unanimously agreed that 3A-2T base should be higher.

Here, you cannot say "underscored". You say "underscored" when the skater gets lower scores than s/he should within the boundary of the scoring system.
Mao already knew that two combinations' base values were about the same and she still insisted on a 3A combo and didn't make it huge enough to get high GOE.

Well, I would say 3A-2T is more difficult than 3Z-3T simply because 3A is more difficult than 3Z.
Lol, adding triple after a triple jump suddenly sounds so easy. I wonder why top skaters like Miki and Joannie cannot just add 1 more turn at the end.

And I would say top 3 favorites were all overscored.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree that top three lady skaters were overscored. I also feel that perhaps ladies generally received inflated scores. This may be a trend we've been seeing this season. But at this time, Yuna's scores are exceedingly high compared to her previous ones, even if considering the fact that it's the first time she's ever put two clean programs together. Mao getting her personal LP best here is also strange. She had had better performances with or without two 3As. Rochette also received over 200 despite the two major mistakes. I wonder if they are raising the scores higher and higher.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Enough with this tired harping on counting triples. Didn't this competition prove that she DOES get penalised for lack of triples? More jumps, more points. Laura has quality and charisma oozing out of her skating. If Yu-Na did just three triples, she'd get way more tham 105 points.

Kiira did both 3lutz and 3flip and ended up with 108. Where's her European bonus? She didn't get any, and neither did Laura.

ITA. I'm also very tired of these ridiculous comments of beauty points and European points. As far as I know, the judges are all over the world and don't give score for nationalities or beauty. Is it so hard for some US people to admit that there might be better skaters in the world than US? USA has every year new young competitors so it's clear that their PCS aren't that high yet. You should change the system of choosing the competitors to the international competitions. Isn't that correct that you choose your skaters to worlds and olympics in one competition, in nationals? In Finland they had the whole fall semester to show personal bests and then the 3 best were chosen to Europeans. Now it was easy when Jenni Vähämaa wasn't in, but the system allows you to prove your talent more than in one competition when the pressure is huge.

I don't understand why Leonova got so good PCS. I really don't like her skating. As a Finn I think Kiira was underscored in PCS. Laura got almost 10 points more in PCS, that I don't really get. BTW, I read from the newspaper that Kiira is planning to change her long-time choreographist, I think that's a good decicion.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Was there ugly ladies on the competition? Idid not notice any.
oh, i forgot my own opinion. I fact, i don't have my own, because i lack techinal knowledge. But the commentator in eurosport expected Mirai to be near Joannie and thouhgt she will finish ahead of Laura before the scores were shown.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Underscored - Pang & Tong SP
Johnny Weir LP
Tanith & Ben, OD + FD
Rachel Flatt - LP
Takahiko Kozuka - SP + LP

Overscored - Kavaguti & Smirnov (I do like them, but they were not at their best) - SP
Domnina & Shabalin - OD & FD

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
6 Overscored:
Dube/Davison SP
Lysacek SP
Flatt SP
Ando SP
Asada LP
Chan LP

(NBC didn't bother to even show Lepisto's LP so I can't comment on it.)

4 Underscored:
Mukhortova/Trankov SP
Takahashi SP
Kozuka LP
Weir LP

Poodlepal

On the Ice
"I'm also very tired of these ridiculous comments of beauty points and European points. As far as I know, the judges are all over the world and don't give score for nationalities or beauty. Is it so hard for some US people to admit that there might be better skaters in the world than US? USA has every year new young competitors so it's clear that their PCS aren't that high yet. You should change the system of choosing the competitors to the international competitions. Isn't that correct that you choose your skaters to worlds and olympics in one competition, in nationals?"

In my opinion, four Americans were undermarked in order to keep them from getting a certain medal or placement : Johnny (kept from being in gala or possibly deserved bronze) D/W (I thought they should have won, but many, many think V/M were better, so I may be in the minority here) B/A (kept off the podium so Russia wouldn't be completely shut out) and Rachael (kept down in case there was a splat-fest of the three chosen ones, Yuna, Mao and Joannie). I also think both pairs should have been a few places higher, too, come to think of it, although neither of them were podium threats. Evan was marked fairly within the CoP. Mirai (possibly) would have had edge or UR calls had she skated before the special ones. But since they all did well, they could give her full credit, knowing she would not somehow slip ahead of one of them. This is my opinion only, of course, I was not on the judging panel.

I'm not being sarcastic or confrontational here, but please, somebody tell me of another performance where someone other than an American did a seemingly clean performance only to get a low score because of invisible UR's and edge calls.

I don't mean Evgeni or Mao, either. Evgeni and Mao may have gotten underscored, too, but for a different reason. The difficulty of their special tricks were not appreciated enough (as is the case with Jeret Peterson, the freestyle skiier with a hurricane trick).

At first I loved the CoP. I loved seeing underdogs like Julia Sebesteyen or Jeremy Abbott come from like 7th place and win. But now, even more than 6.0, it is used to prop up the chosen ones. Is there a maximum number of points it is possible to get? Because it seems like if they like someone, they can just pile point after point on them and keep anyone from catching up.

sson4won

Spectator
All I want to say is "Is every lady did her 3Z-3T?"

I come to think it's very easy when I began to read all the over/underscore thread...
Yes there's several 3-3s, but 3Z-3T with 2A-3T, extra 3Z and 3F is done by only one lady.
I don't think 3A is the most fabulous & hardest thing to ladies unless there's no question about the quality.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I actually didn't have too many issues with the scoring. I thought Flatt's 3t and 3lz in the SP were UR, but both her 3f in the LP looked fine so she got docked for it in the wrong program but it means the outcome should have been the same. If Rachael's flips in the LP had been ratified though I think her score would have been higher than Mirai's which I don't agree with because I find Mirai to be a much more complete skater.

I think Mirai got hurt in the SP because she skated so early but I think a lot of the FS scores had to do with when the skaters went. Like I think Mirai deserved her 126 but I think had she been in the third group it would have been lower, maybe 115 or 120. Kiira's score would have also been a bit higher I think had she skated later. I didn't really have any issues with Lepisto's marks - she finally landed her triples in the FS and her performance was stunning, she has nice edging and good speed and was a joy to watch. Leonova I think would have gotten a higher FS score had she skated later, she landed 7 triples and even though 3 had bad landings I think she could have gotten a higher score than 110. The scores were all really high on Thursday, so I'm just wondering if this trend will keep up in all the competitions following the Olympics.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I actually didn't have too many issues with the scoring. I thought Flatt's 3t and 3lz in the SP were UR, but both her 3f in the LP looked fine so she got docked for it in the wrong program but it means the outcome should have been the same.

:laugh::laugh:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Over scored like crazy were Plushenko PC marks for both SP and LP (disgusting really, and turning the competition into a farce) and Dom/Shab OD and FD. It will be painful to watch 4 years from now. Over scored also for Z&Z. This team is meh. Undisputed wionner but the score was too big: Kim.

A bit over scored were D&D and Chan and Asada LP.

Underscored? C&P CD and OD.

fairly4

Medalist
to me the whole competition was overmarked--
especially the ladies--
what was wrong for me the judges are supposed to impartial--they wasn't why- check out their scores from this year and previous years and all of sudden their was a jump of 30 points for yu-na- joannie 10 points, yes her mother died -but judges are supposed to score by what they see on ice- not by what they heard off of the ice etc.not where they skate-what email etc. (politics) sorry but it just goes to show how much the judges pay attention to politics, what happening off the ice then on. joannie skated decent but didn't deservie 131.28 in the long. if you look closely at the video-her initial score outscore mao- replay -mao initially came out with a 130.78 -but when it printed up it comes up a 131.78.
the scoring was overmarked all disciplines- it seems thy almost followed the inflated scores from the country nationals.
yes skating was good- but the judging /scores was horrible to point of rigged. go back in the year and who they stated was going to win 2nd, 3rd, came to play-and it happened.
miria higher score than at nationals.
yu-na skated about same at teb and higher score.
scoring horrible-sorry to repeat

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Underscored:

1. Johnny Weir SP and LP

2. Belbin/Agusto were underscored throughout the whole competition

Overscored:

1. Patrick Chan SP and LP....enough said.

2. Dominina/Shabalin FD

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Overmarked
Shen and Zhao SP and LP (especially LP)
Yuna Kim SP and LP
Rochette SP and LP
Lysacek SP and LP

This post was apparently meant just to spice things up at the board. :disapp:

My only definite overscore would have been Plushy's PCS. He was definitely gifted to stay no worse than silver.

I'm in the minority: I thought the judging was excellent. I loved being able to see the CoP immediately after the skate on VANOC's site and say, "oh, so that's what they saw." It often changed my "wuzrobbed" thought to "oh, okay, now that makes sense."

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt LP was underscored. Random downgrades. Her flips were fine, as good as Mirai's questionable flip that's clearly rotated on ice. At Skate America, Sandra was saying how she had so much transition, hard transition, going into her 2 lutzes. None of that was reflected in her GOE.

I just watched Figure Skating Review/Preview with Terry Gannon, Kristi Yamguchi, and Peter.
Peter: 3A-2T harder jump
Kristi: harder jump, yes. Mao got lower GOE on a much more difficult jump combination
Michael Weiss: Mao Asada 3A-2T, which blows my mind that it's not worth more. I mean, you ask any guy in figure skating that if they'd rather do a 3A-2T or a 3F-3T or 3Z-3T, they would always say the triple triple combination is easier. The front end take off on the triple axel is much harder so the fact that it's lower... A woman did a 3A-2T in a short program and I think that should be valued higher but Yuna gained her points because she executed well.
Terry Gannon: Do you think that they will go back and weight the 3A more?
Michael Weiss: Absolutely, the 3A and 4T are the most difficult jumps to do and should be rewarded I don't want it to be a jump contest, I like the other aspect of the sport, I like things to be executed really well. a 3F-3T executed well should be worth more than a bad 3A.

Thanks for sharing this. I like Michael Weiss's comments. Very balanced. Did they say anything about Flatt? I have no idea what anyone is saying about her UR calls aside from her coach since I can't get NBC.

BigJohn

On the Ice
If you leave out the Dom&Shab OD and FD inflated scores and C&P underscore in the OD, dance was decently scored. I would have the top 2 teams scored a little higher, simply because I want V&M to own the best score recorded in ice dance and as of now, they are 2nd to N&K.

V&M are better than N&K. D&W over at least B&A also makes a lot of sense.