Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, just reading by their posts, I honestly agree that her looks seem to explain a lot of these posters' dislike of hers and sometimes it's a bit too hard on her.

What is so wrong about her looks? Am I the only person that thinks Rachael is a cutie?
http://talkingmakeup.com/pics/news4/skate1n.jpg
http://www.twistmagazine.com/NUP_135188_3173_Rachael_Flatt.jpg
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/91...570ADEACEB739742A76B4A3023148E30A760B0D811297

She's definitely pretty. Therefore, I think people's complaints about her are due to her skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh? Case in point: Joannie Rochette, Mirai Nagasu. Tell me the judges were not generous to both of these girls for their ordeals.
Quite frankly, they have nothing to do with her skating, but it makes me enjoy her skating a lot more. Understand?

Um, no. I was a Joannie Rochette doubter before this olympics (and obviously you were by your really nasty "Will Joannie Rochette bomb" post). But she put down two great skates. They were full of emotion, full of class, grace and she was pretty much clean (take away a few bobbles) If anything, her mother's death turned on a switch on her. I don't think I can explain it.

As for Mirai, we barely heard much about her mom except before her skate for like five seconds. And no I don't think the judges were gifting her either. She has a beautiful line and flow to her skating and you need that just as much as her jumps. And she skated clean. I think Rachael was underscored, but I don't think it's right to assume that Mirai was overscored. She put down a better performance than Miki and Laura but not as well as Rochette. I think if anyone was overscored, it was Miki. Talk about a snoozer of a program.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Um, no. I was a Joannie Rochette doubter before this olympics (and obviously you were by your really nasty "Will Joannie Rochette bomb" post). But she put down two great skates. They were full of emotion, full of class, grace and she was pretty much clean (take away a few bobbles) If anything, her mother's death turned on a switch on her. I don't think I can explain it.

As for Mirai, we barely heard much about her mom except before her skate for like five seconds. And no I don't think the judges were gifting her either. She has a beautiful line and flow to her skating and you need that just as much as her jumps. And she skated clean. I think Rachael was underscored, but I don't think it's right to assume that Mirai was overscored. She put down a better performance than Miki and Laura but not as well as Rochette. I think if anyone was overscored, it was Miki. Talk about a snoozer of a program.

Geez, I found both of Miki's programs close to unwatchable. I like Miki at times but this whole season was a downer. I blame Morozov and think Miki is still a good skater but needs to have her strengths emphasized with the highlight on her athleticism and not the mock artistry of this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Geez, I found both of Miki's programs close to unwatchable. I like Miki at times but this whole season was a downer. I blame Morozov and think Miki is still a good skater but needs to have her strengths emphasized with the highlight on her athleticism and not the mock artistry of this season.

Yeah but the thing is, Miki's athleticism is draining. She used to be a good jumper but she's lost so much weight these past few years she can barely rotate her triples now! Seriously I was a little worried watching her on Thursday, she looked borederline too thin.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah but the thing is, Miki's athleticism is draining. She used to be a good jumper but she's lost so much weight these past few years she can barely rotate her triples now! Seriously I was a little worried watching her on Thursday, she looked borederline too thin.

Yeah, that was pretty obviously when she tried to do the 3Z-3L. Ugggh....it wasn't even close to rotated.

treshot

Rinkside
Overscored - All the ladies and mens medalists. I can't think of ONE medalist who wasn't. It was so bad that I actually don't feel that Yuna has been overscored that much. I mean, come on, Joannie scored over 200 for a program that was generally skated well but had two glaring mistakes and no 3-3. Mao had that huge score for a program that she had only four triples (two of them axels, I know, I know. If they were not, we wouldn't be talking about her here, since she'd have been off the podium) and no real musicality, interpretation or transition.
Oh, and of course Patrick Chan. I'm just not going to say anything about him because anything I say will be unnecessarily inflammable.

Underscored - Nobody. Which proves that this is the Olympics.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Overscored-

Patrick Chan
Dube & Davison
Plushenko
Domnina & Shalaban
Virtue & Moir

Underscored

Johnny Weir
Vaughn Chipeur
Crone & Poirier
Davis & White
Langlois & Hay

yqs100

On the Ice
Overscored:

K/S SP
Yuna Kim SP +LP
S/S LP

Underscored:
Mao LP
P/T SP
Weir LP

FlattFan

Match Penalty

How is that nasty? It's a valid question. It's circumstantial that Joannie's mom passed away 3 days after the post. I didn't time it, I swear.
If you want nasty, read the other posts about Rachael Flatt. Wasn't Joannie portraying a biblical wh something rhyme with Al Gore, "class" is definitely not what she's trying to emote. Why is her interpretation score so high? LOL. I admire her for bringing her "competitivity" (her word) to both programs and I said several time that she deserved her bronze medal. I just don't agree with the massive score she got for that type of performance. Same with Laura Lepisto. Miki got 126 at last year Worlds for a much more engaging performance.
You don't think the judges were gifting Mirai? Where did the flutzes call go? Flutzes aren't like UR, they don't disappear from one competition to the next. Her flip was rotating on ice, too. If they were that harsh on Rachael, they should ding Mirai as well. I guess it's a bonus for training with the Olympics GOLD medalist.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How is that nasty? It's a valid question. It's circumstantial that Joannie's mom passed away 3 days after the post. I didn't time it, I swear.
If you want nasty, read the other posts about Rachael Flatt. Wasn't Joannie portraying a biblical wh something rhyme with Al Gore, "class" is definitely not what she's trying to emote. Why is her interpretation score so high? LOL. I admire her for bringing her "competitivity" (her word) to both programs and I said several time that she deserved her bronze medal. I just don't agree with the massive score she got for that type of performance. Same with Laura Lepisto. Miki got 126 at last year Worlds for a much more engaging performance.
You don't think the judges were gifting Mirai? Where did the flutzes call go? Flutzes aren't like UR, they don't disappear from one competition to the next. Her flip was rotating on ice, too. If they were that harsh on Rachael, they should ding Mirai as well. I guess it's a bonus for training with the Olympics GOLD medalist.

It has nothing to do with the timing of Joannie's mom death. It was still a bad thread and the admins thought so too since they took the thread down. It would have made more sense to ask something like "How will Joannie do at the Olympics" or "Can Joannie recover from a tough Grand Prix season?"

I agree that some of the posts about Rachael were nasty too and I didn't hesitate to call those people out to (if you recall, one poster accused me of being part of the Flatt Police for doing so.) I'm an equal opportunity "don't be nasty" poster. I would do the same for Yuna Kim or Mao Asada.

hybfc

Rinkside
overscored:
Yuna kim
Rochette
Lepisto's lp
D/S's od and fs
K/S' sp

underscored:
Asada
Jonny Weir
Dasuke
B/A's od and fs
Pang/Tong's sp

Last edited:

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Underscored:
Johnny Weir's LP,
Ksenia Makarova SP and LP.
Khohlova/Novitsky OD and FD.
Bobrova/Soloviev FD.
Muhortova/Trankov SP.
Belbin/Agosto FD.
Akiko Suzuki LP.

Overscored:
Patrick Chan Sp and Lp.
Evan Lysachek Sp and Lp.
Yuna Kim Sp and Lp.
Rachael Flatt Sp.
Laura Lepisto Lp.
Domnina Shabalin FD.
Shen Zhao Lp.
Kerr and Kerr FD.
Delobel Shonfelder FD.
Dube/Davison Sp and Lp.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I wonder if you remember that since this season 09-10 it has been easier to get +GOE according to ISU Communication 1557. That is also one reason why scores are higher than before and why they are not completely comparable to earlier seasons. Before you could hardly ever see +3 GOE, now it's possible with many skaters with some gorgeus element, eg. Mirai's layback spin in FS.

bmelanie

On the Ice
underscored: Johnny Weir and Akiko Suzuki.
I absolutely loved Akiko's performance, both times, and I admire her so much for making such a comeback. I do not get her PCS at all.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean you didn't have Rachael 1st,...... :laugh:

The worst finish by by a US Lady champion at the Olympics in over 50 years, and yet she said she was pleased with herself. :eek:hwell:

Who is the second worst? Kwan? Not sure that statistic is all that illuminating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Who is the second worst? Kwan? Not sure that statistic is all that illuminating.

The next worse I can think of going back to 1956 would have been 1964. This was a couple of years after the '61 plane crash that took our entire team.
15 year old Peggy Fleming finished 6h and then went on to win the OGM in '68.

If this helps your perspective here is a list of US Olympic medal winning Ladies going back to 1956.
1956 - Tenley Albright wins Gold and Carol Heiss wins Silver.
1960 - Carol Heiss wins Gold
1964 - Peggy Fleming finishes 6th
1968 - Peggy wins Gold
1972 - Janet Lynn wins Bronze
1976 - Dorothy Hamill wins Gold
1980 - Linda Fratiane robbed of Gold but wins Silver
1984 - Roz Sumners wins Silver
1988 - Debbi Thomas wins Bronze
1992 - Kristi wins Gold, Nancy wins Bronze
1994 - Nancy wins Silver but was the better skater that night
1998 - Tara wins Gold, Michelle Silver
2002 - Sarah wins Gold, Michelle Bronze
2006 - Sasha wins Silver

2010 - Rachale Flatt finishes 7th

Does that give you a better understanding that a 7th place finish at the Olympics is disappointing for a US Lady champion? We have t go back, way back for such a poor showing from our champion.

Perhaps a new era is upon us with a shift to Asia. But I wouldn't count out the US Ladies just yet. Not with Mirai ready to blossom and Christina improving by leaps and bounds under Orser's training.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Jenaj, couldn't resist the opportunity to do more stats.
* The last time that a U.S. champion finished worse than Rachael was actually in 1994, when Tonya Harding finished 8th (but Nancy finished with the silver, as we all know.) But since Tonya was stripped of her title, the last time there was a worse showing was in 1948 when Gretchen Merill also finished 8th.
* Since 1920 when women's figure skating was in the Olympics in some form — only five U.S. figures skating ladies champions did not make the podium. (Teresa Weld Blanchard, 1924, 4th; Maribel Vinson, 1928, 4th; Gretchen Merrill, 1948, 8th; Tonya Harding, 1994 8th*; and Rachael Flatt, 2010, 7th) -- as mentioned Harding shouldn't really count because of the circumstances, but I'm just just going to put it out there.

That was quite educational....

ETA: ooohh janetfan's post complement's mine!

Last edited: