Any coaching change for mao after worlds? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Any coaching change for mao after worlds?

☆Genie

Rinkside
http://www.sanspo.com/vancouver2010/news/100228/oai1002280504004-n1.htm

This season, Russian Coach Tatiana Tarasova coached Mao asada, however next season she will have a new coach in hope of 2014 Sochi Olympics. The coach will be a technical coach in guide to advancement. Mao Asada's training environnement is well equipped, and wants her coaches to come to her rink. This is the first criteria. Tatiana Tarasova has difficulties moving long distances for a while now because of her high blood pressure, thus she was unable to give direct instructions. Tatiana Tarasova wants to continue to maintain her relationship with Mao asada, but this time it'll be a choreographer and also an advisor.

Bennett

Record Breaker
What makes no sense and shows that they aren't thinking is the fact that the next Olympics will be in Russia. And there are quite a few young Russian skaters who are coming up who are quite talented. Including a young girl Tarosova works with. However I think Mao's biggest issues are technical, and perhaps this time Mao will go for a different style program wise.

I don't think TAT's political power matters as much as a more substantial thing like teamwork. I also hope Mao goes for a different type of program, as TAT is capable of something delightful.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
☆Genie;481538 said:
http://www.sanspo.com/vancouver2010/news/100228/oai1002280504004-n1.htm

This season, Russian Coach Tatiana Tarasova coached Mao asada, however next season she will have a new coach in hope of 2014 Sochi Olympics. The coach will be a technical coach in guide to advancement. Mao Asada's training environnement is well equipped, and wants her coaches to come to her rink. This is the first criteria. Tatiana Tarasova has difficulties moving long distances for a while now because of her high blood pressure, thus she was unable to give direct instructions. Tatiana Tarasova wants to continue to maintain her relationship with Mao asada, but this time it'll be a choreographer and also an advisor.

Thanks Genie! I think this means Mao is essentially getting a new coach who will work beside her in japan. Really happy to hear this :thumbsup: As I said before, I don't mind TAT doing only choreo because she was responsible for the Ladies in Lavender SP and Caprice Ex, which are both wonderful. Anyways, she has been merely an advisor all this time so doesn't seem like a big change of role for her hehe.

☆Genie

Rinkside
Thanks Genie! I think this means Mao is essentially getting a new coach who will work beside her in japan. Really happy to hear this :thumbsup: As I said before, I don't mind TAT doing only choreo because she was responsible for the Ladies in Lavender SP and Caprice Ex, which are both wonderful. Anyways, she has been merely an advisor all this time so doesn't seem like a big change of role for her hehe.

Yes, I realized this. Mao simply entered the olympics without a coach, but an advisor. I think Tat's assistant could be considered as her coach, but meh. I really liked those two programs.. they weren't too light but had power in them. I also want Lori Nichol to choreograph her FS.

Iscariot

On the Ice
I am kinda glad to read that she will have a jump coach along side with her, it will be nice to see if he/she can help her get the triples more stable, because those 3A at the olympics were just stunning, for me even better than the on at 2008 4CC, Tatiana has coreographed mao programs well, so i dont have any problems with it, hope Mao can reborn again

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hope she can get a really good coach to come to her rink. that should not be too hard. It does not have to be a "big name" just someone who can devote all his/her time to Mao and have a good relationship with her. Mao did a great job with her triple axels this season, but she had to pull back on them a but and practice her other jumps she so will never miss/cheat her easier triples. She should start practicing a 3/3 and/or her lutz again this summer.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I hope she can get a really good coach to come to her rink. that should not be too hard. It does not have to be a "big name" just someone who can devote all his/her time to Mao and have a good relationship with her. Mao did a great job with her triple axels this season, but she had to pull back on them a but and practice her other jumps she so will never miss/cheat her easier triples. She should start practicing a 3/3 and/or her lutz again this summer.
I agree that it does not have to be a big name. There would be numerous talents without big fame.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If Yuna retires maybe Mao can go to Brian Orser? Kidding :laugh:

Well, actually I think it could be a good idea..., especially as I believe that this is Yu-Na´s last season as an ISU skater. Maybe Mao should think what she wants most, to stay in Japan or to win an Olympic gold medal?

Anyway, hopefully Mao´s working with Tarasova in any form will be totally over!!!

Last edited:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Well, actually I think it could be a good idea..., especially as I believe that this is Yu-Na´s last season as an ISU skater. Maybe Mao should think what she wants most, to stay in Japan or to win an Olympic gold medal?

Anyway, hopefully Mao´s working with Tarasova in any form will be totally over!!!

I don't think those two are opposite. there are a lot of talented coach in Japan. If she and her team couldn't be satisfied with them,she should go oversees to find good one for her.
But if they can find,of course, japanese coach is better.

however, actually i haven't read the article about "Mao doesn't wnat to go abroad to train". that's why she doesn't go to Russia is she felt something danger there before. I don't know what that means though.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
ITA. Mao also seems like she needs a steady support system from a coach that treats her as more than just another skater on their roster. She is under constant scrutiny and a lot of pressure from her country, and she also has that nasty habit of adding pressure to herself as well. Mao needs a good support system just as much as she needs a good coach.

I hope TaT's position just drops to advisor though... her music selections and choreography for Mao have been awful and truly show that she doesn't understand Mao as a skater, and if you are putting all your trust in a coach that is supposed to make your star shine but makes it fade because they don't understand you, it leads to a lot of self-doubt and confidence issues... both of which Mao has suffered from.

prettykeys

Medalist
I just wanted to say that I don't think Tat was purely bad for Mao. I do believe Mao's personality on the ice showed more dimension after working with Tarasova (Mao is still sweet, but with a fire I didn't see in her programs before), Mao did improve on the consistency of her 3A, and it's not like Tarasova is completely incapable of putting together nice programs for Mao (especially her Tango and Caprice exhibitions.) So I don't think anyone knows how much really went on behind the scenes and who was calling most of the shots, but I don't think it's fair that Tarasova is being so demonized. After Mao's LP here in Vancouver, was Tat really mad and disappointed at Mao, or was she perhaps more incensed at the impossible score given to YuNa just before? (I don't think she was mad at Mao.) I know Tarasova looks fierce on the outside--she does have the presence of a lioness--but I don't think she is overly mean to or hard towards Mao. I don't think anyone could be, and if she were, then why would Mao have insisted on staying with her?

So whether Mao has a complete team change or continues to have some association with Tarasova, I don't think her influence can be so dismissed. Mao has gotten better in some ways. And moving into the future, what Mao learned from her could prove to be valuable.

sleepymom

Rinkside
The news sounds like Mao will go forward with status-quo. Hm.. is it really a good idea?

Also, her condition - TAT as head director, or advisor , and staying in Japan - limits number of possible coaches available to her. I doubt already well-known coaches would want to work with her under TAT, esp. TAT is always in Russia so in essence just head-in-name. Honestly, she has all the resources in the world to hire the best coach, and she's not doing it. I agree that she needs to prioritize her needs and goals, and invests her efforts in smarter way.

miki88

Medalist
The news sounds like Mao will go forward with status-quo. Hm.. is it really a good idea?

Also, her condition - TAT as head director, or advisor , and staying in Japan - limits number of possible coaches available to her. I doubt already well-known coaches would want to work with her under TAT, esp. TAT is always in Russia so in essence just head-in-name. Honestly, she has all the resources in the world to hire the best coach, and she's not doing it. I agree that she needs to prioritize her needs and goals, and invests her efforts in smarter way.

Well not exactly. She will get a new technical coach which IMAO most essential change she needs. TAT just stays at her current role as "advisor". It really doesn't need to be a well-known coach. I mean TAT is well-known but it certainly didn't help. But at least Mao will have a real coach to work with not TAT's assistant or herself.

sleepymom

Rinkside
Well not exactly. She will get a new technical coach which IMAO most essential change she needs. TAT just stays at her current role as "advisor". It really doesn't need to be a well-known coach. I mean TAT is well-known but it certainly didn't help. But at least Mao will have a real coach to work with not TAT's assistant or herself.

The bold part is the point that I'm trying to make. That she doesn't need to settle on unknown coach, and she shouldn't. If you think about it, it's strange that someone like Mao's willing to settle on unknown - so more than likely unproven - technical coach when she can afford anyone in the world. But I guess we'll have to wait and see who's going to be Mao's new coach, and how that pan out.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
however, actually i haven't read the article about "Mao doesn't wnat to go abroad to train". that's why she doesn't go to Russia is she felt something danger there before. I don't know what that means though.

I don´t wonder that, I would not even want to travel there in these days. Would not feel safe...

Last edited: