Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Yu-Na Kim Interview...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    I think Yu-Na will always have an urge to compete, because she is a strong competitor by nature I'd definitely love to see her back in 2014, but definitely don't think she needs to compete in every Grand Prix circuit or World Championship from now until then to do it. I think that is too much to ask of anyone, IMHO. And that's not coming from just a spectator. And since I lost my ability to really skate again due to an illness, I'd hate to see Yu-Na or any skater wind up suffering an injury that takes them off the ice for good. We really don't know what kind of long term affects this type of training (3+3 combinations, 3As, 2A+3Ts, even the spins and positions required in spirals, etc.) will have on these young athletes. Women have not been competing at this intense of a level for very long, and the way it affects their bodies as they become adults, and eventually reach their 30's, 40's, etc. It's really a big unknown if it could be seriously damaging in the long run ... it's almost like seeing the medical trials of a new medicine and wondering what kind of affects it will have down the road and these young women are our guinea pigs for it.

Aside from that, I think Yu-Na also deserves some time back in her home country. I'm sure it would mean the world to the Korean people to be able to see their idol in person, performing shows there and not just competing. They have been so supportive of her, and Yu-Na has been equally charitable in her donations and strong in living up to their expectations... she deserves a victory lap in her home country, and her fans would love it. Yu-Na would also make a great cultural ambassador for South Korea, much like some of the Korean idols of the past. BoA was hailed for her dominance in Asia, being declared Best of Asia, by her fans... but now the entire globe knows Yu-Na Kim and her popularity extends far beyond the Asian borders. Whatever she chooses to do, I'm sure she will make an impact.
    I think she also has an opportunity to really help build Korea's figure skating program. She's already funding the juniors program herself and that tells me she desires that that South Korea would not have her as a one-hit wonder but rather a foundation of other great skaters. I bet she will advocate for the most promising skaters (like Min Jung-Kwak) to go to Orser and I bet she would help fund their training there.

Actually, give her a few years and I think she would be a pretty good coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think she also has an opportunity to really help build Korea's figure skating program. She's already funding the juniors program herself and that tells me she desires that that South Korea would not have her as a one-hit wonder but rather a foundation of other great skaters. I bet she will advocate for the most promising skaters (like Min Jung-Kwak) to go to Orser and I bet she would help fund their training there.

Funding the Juniors is such a generous act from her.I like also Hyeong-Jung Kim and Na-Young Kim, I really hope Yu-Na stays at least two more seasons so the youngters have the opportunity to participate in Worlds and develop of their own.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    And since I lost my ability to really skate again due to an illness, I'd hate to see Yu-Na or any skater wind up suffering an injury that takes them off the ice for good. We really don't know what kind of long term affects this type of training (3+3 combinations, 3As, 2A+3Ts, even the spins and positions required in spirals, etc.) will have on these young athletes.
    bethissoawesome, I feel so bad for you. Every injury news I really breaks my heart. Staying injury-free seems as important as being talented to me.
    Yeah, it's not only the jumps. I think my back will crack if I do Biellmann or pearl position. I have no idea how they do sitspin-and Evan's sitspin never fails to wow me-when it is nearly impossible to sit on one leg myself. I always thought camel would be easiest of all but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think Kwak might just be a later bloomer than Yuna was. She reminds me of Christina Gao. You are right, Kwak might never win international medals but I think there is a chance she could, I really enjoy her skating a lot and her jump technique for the lutz is very good, plus her flexibility is even better than Mirai's! The other thing is that she was 22nd at Jr Worlds last year and just finished 13th at the Olympics...she is clearly making rapid progress. At 4CC she got 101 points for her FS and her previous season's best was 67, if she can make that much progress in such a short amount of time it says something promising about the girl.
    I have no idea how far she can go in the future, but her reactions at K&C are just priceless!!! She is adorable! LOL
    To me she seems to have so many things-jumps, spins, spirals, flexibility, and probably nerves too? Her basic skating skills and presentations are not there though. So this makes me wonder how difficult it is to improve basic skating skills. I wondered same thing couple of years ago about Caroline, so it must be not so easy I guess.

Looking at Orser makes me think she might make a good coach. Still I'm not so certain. When you are very talented yourself, some things are just so natural for you like breathing that you find it really difficult to teach it to others. Anyway it will be interesting to see Yuna the coach! Yay! I know I'll root for her pupils.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    I have no idea how far she can go in the future, but her reactions at K&C are just priceless!!! She is adorable! LOL
    To me she seems to have so many things-jumps, spins, spirals, flexibility, and probably nerves too? Her basic skating skills and presentations are not there though. So this makes me wonder how difficult it is to improve basic skating skills. I wondered same thing couple of years ago about Caroline, so it must be not so easy I guess.
    Well, Kwak does not have a bad mule-kick like Caroline so while I agree her basic skating is not the best, she seems to have pretty solid jumps with decent technique and the ability to compete well at important events. The other thing is that Caroline just went through a growthspurt and could get away with her bad technique when she was so little, so her troubles may be due to her growth more than anything else. Kwak is extremely thin but is already 5'3" so is not likely to grown 4 more inches like Caroline has over the past couple years.

I really think when a skater makes that much progress in a short amount of time it means they have a lot of potential. Christina Gao for example, placed 5th at nationals and was 3rd at the JGPF showing great jumps and a lovely presence, but last year she was 3rd at nationals in the junior division but did not skate that well (the event was pretty much a splatfest - she fell 3 times in the FS and placed 2nd in that portion of the competition), the year before she was last (12th) in the novice division at nationals and the year before that she was 13th at REGIONALS.

Mirai is another example. She has been making tremendous progress in the past few months.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGYqyf55rM (Mirai in fall of 08)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiXBCHq2f4Q (Mirai in fall of 09)
    If you compare those performances to the one we saw her perform on Thursday, there is no comparison, she has improved SO much.

I think that, if you have the talent, you can go places if you have the right people to guide you. Gao didn't become a very strong skater until she went to Orser, and Mirai with her grown 5'4" frame did not become successful on the senior level until she went to Frank Carroll (her success when she was a junior was different because she was 4'7" and 70 pounds). I tend to think if Kwak is managing to do as well as she is without a renown coach it means she could really go places if she were to go to a great coach.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 02-28-2010 at 08:39 PM.

skating philosopher
    Well, Kwak does not have a bad mule-kick like Caroline so while I agree her basic skating is not the best, she seems to have pretty solid jumps with decent technique and the ability to compete well at important events. The other thing is that Caroline just went through a growthspurt and could get away with her bad technique when she was so little, so her troubles may be due to her growth more than anything else. Kwak is extremely thin but is already 5'3" so is not likely to grown 4 more inches like Caroline has over the past couple years.

I really think when a skater makes that much progress in a short amount of time it means they have a lot of potential. Christina Gao for example, placed 5th at nationals and was 3rd at the JGPF showing great jumps and a lovely presence, but last year she was 3rd at nationals in the junior division but did not skate that well (the event was pretty much a splatfest - she fell 3 times in the FS and placed 2nd in that portion of the competition), the year before she was last (12th) in the novice division at nationals and the year before that she was 13th at REGIONALS.

Mirai is another example. She has been making tremendous progress in the past few months.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGYqyf55rM (Mirai in fall of 08)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiXBCHq2f4Q (Mirai in fall of 09)
    If you compare those performances to the one we saw her perform on Thursday, there is no comparison, she has improved SO much.

I think that, if you have the talent, you can go places if you have the right people to guide you. Gao didn't become a very strong skater until she went to Orser, and Mirai with her grown 5'4" frame did not become successful on the senior level until she went to Frank Carroll (her success when she was a junior was different because she was 4'7" and 70 pounds). I tend to think if Kwak is managing to do as well as she is without a renown coach it means she could really go places if she were to go to a great coach.
    I agree the right coach is key here. I am not a fan of the S. Korean coaches at all. They are great about jump technique, but not much else. Plus they like to force their poor skaters into perfection by an overkill amount of reptitions, which I think why we saw Yuna with so many injuries in the early years of her senior career and why Yuna was so unhappy with skating.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuna advocated for Min-Jung to go to Orser.

Custom Title
    I agree the right coach is key here. I am not a fan of the S. Korean coaches at all. They are great about jump technique, but not much else. Plus they like to force their poor skaters into perfection by an overkill amount of reptitions, which I think why we saw Yuna with so many injuries in the early years of her senior career and why Yuna was so unhappy with skating.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Yuna advocated for Min-Jung to go to Orser.
    Min-Jung and Christina Gao look so much alike that would be so cute, the skinny little asian teenagers could take the world by storm

skating philosopher
    Min-Jung and Christina Gao look so much alike that would be so cute, the skinny little asian teenagers could take the world by storm
    Oh my gosh CUTENESS FEST!!!!

Seriously, that would be really awesome. Christina and Min-Jung are the same age and I can see how it would be great for them to train together and push each other. It seems that Orser's crew get along really well and seem like a tight-knit family. That would be a great enviroment for a developing skater like Min-Jung.

Custom Title
    Oh my gosh CUTENESS FEST!!!!

Seriously, that would be really awesome. Christina and Min-Jung are the same age and I can see how it would be great for them to train together and push each other. It seems that Orser's crew get along really well and seem like a tight-knit family. That would be a great enviroment for a developing skater like Min-Jung.
    I agree. I'm glad other people think she has talent too. She is adorable but she also has a lot of promise, and she has a true lutz, not a flutz, which is very rare these days!

On the Ice
    someone in the yu na kim forum posted this link. it showed yu na's parents during the ladies' free skate. very interesting as the clip showed her parents unable to watch from their seats and shedding some tears after her performance.

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id...53&page=3&bbs=

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    someone in the yu na kim forum posted this link. it showed yu na's parents during the ladies' free skate. very interesting as the clip showed her parents unable to watch from their seats and shedding some tears after her performance.

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id...53&page=3&bbs=
    Well...I didnot watch her performance and cried the next day, watching Yuna crying after her performance. For Yuna, It must have been tears of relief and satisfaction. But for me, it was from sympathy. Most Koreans remember what a difficult time she's been through to be there - all the injuries, financial difficulties, the indifference in figure skating in Korea...Personally, I hope that she'll be able to have a normal life as a 19-year-old in Canada, not here in Korea.
    Last edited by ilunga1965; 03-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Yu-Na Kim had the two performances that any great Olympic champion would wish to have. It was more than just winning the Olympic gold; she was able to leave that ice both times knowing she couldn't have delivered better performances under the pressure she was dealing with. A clean SP and a clean LP is any skater's dream at the Olympics! I'm so proud of her! She was lovely in every respect. My love and respect for her skating grew as a result of this championship. She's such a strong and stunningly beautiful athlete!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3