Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree that 7th place in arguably the best Ladies competition in a while is nothing to sneez at, and Rachael should be very proud. I think, however, that janetfan was referring to the worst finish for a US champion. Emily was the US bronze medalist in Torino.

Oh good point. But you know, I thought Mirai's URs were bogus at nationals and that's what cost her the championship, so seeing Rachael be the one to get bogus URs here was kinda the same thing, so she finished 7th instead of 4th or 5th. So at least she won the US championship instead of being 3-time US silver medalist which would have just been aggravating for her, and even if she had gotten credit for those triple flips here, she wouldn't have medaled at the Olympics anyway, and while 4th is pretty exciting because it's just shy of a medal, being 5th or 6th is hardly different than being 7th. Mirai skated great but coming into the Olympics before the competition started I thought Rachael would be 5th or 6th and Mirai would end up like 8th or 10th - I was pleasantly surprised when Mirai was 4th :agree:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just when I was feeling kinda down on skating, Mao (as always) picks me up, and picks me up big time! :)

My God, if I was a skater, I would want to be Mao Asada. She embodies such determination & strength of will that it makes me wish I could capture it in a jar & use it whenever I needed it most. As with the two 3axels she landed in the FS, this latest statement makes me want to become SuperWoman (ala Lynda Carter from the 70's). Living through Mao Asada vicariously is an amazing experience, lol.

She's a great role model for women everywhere, proving that women can do anything men can do, and with beauty & joy! I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever Mao sets her mind to do she will, and thus I see her becoming the first woman in history to land *both* a triple axel & a quad in the FS, and that's not even taking into account what she has up her sleeve when it comes to the SP.

Now I see that there is meat behind one of her tweets wherein she said that she talked to The King at the Gala about wanting to learn the quad, and EP said she could train with him anytime. :) Lol, Mao & I both share the same role model it seems. First she was in the audience at Rostelecom Cup in October 2009 to watch The King skate his magnificent FS, and said she wanted to train the 3axel to the point that she could be like him ~ that is, do the quad right out of the starting block without any prep ~ and she did, she did!:rock: Now she talks with him at the Olympic Gala to learn the quad, and as with the 3axel, I know she will master it. Just keep following in The King's footsteps, Mao-Chan, and one day your name will be written alongside theirs ~ Gillis Grafstrom, Sonja Henie, Evgeni Plushenko, Mao Asada ~ The Immortals.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So you think Asada will win medals in 2014 and 2018? If not, I really don't get your criteria for classifying someone as immortal.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Emily was not the US Champion. Do you already forget how Alissa was crucified here for a year because as US champion she didn't do well enough at Worlds?

Emily was a last minute replacement for Michelle and our third skater in Torino.
So yes, when our champion can't do better than 7th it is disappointing. 7th place is what we expect from a second or third Lady.

It is interesting that it was Mirai who has apologized for letting the medal streak end. She said she plans to start a new one in 2014.
Yeah, but beating Rachael for that is not very fair. Neither Sasha nor Wagner could beat her anyway and they would have placed lower. Better thank your champion for getting 7th.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, but beating Rachael for that is not very fair. Neither Sasha nor Wagner could beat her anyway and they would have placed lower. Better thank your champion for getting 7th.

I thank Evan for wining the OGM.

Mirai is the #1 American Lady and I thank her for finishing 4th at her first big Intl event. Very impressive as she beat Miki, Laura, Rachael, Akiko and the others.

So you thank who you want - and I will thank who I want.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sasha could always do the wonky 3Flips we have seen from Rachael lately.
And Sahsa had enough ability to keep the US Ladies Olympic medal streak going.

I think Flatt's disappointing 7th place finish speaks for itself. It is the worst showing by a US Lady champion in almost 50 years. I wish her well at college and am happy we have Mirai, the skater Button has pegged as a future world champion.

Let me remind you Sasha was cleaning the ice on her flip at nationals. Sasha was in the scene since 2000 and lucky to medal in 2006. Sasha is day old bread, Rachael is the future.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I agree, had Alissa, Caroline, or Sasha been sent instead of Rachael they could have easily placed 15th or something like that. Even Ashley could probably not have bettered Rachael's 7th place finish considering how Laura, Akiko, Miki, and Mirai all skated. People were disappointed with Alissa at Worlds because she completely bombed the SP and only landed 4 triples in the FS and only 3 of them were ratified. Rachael delivered a great SP and LP, earning season's bests in both, and made no mistakes to the blind eye, and landed 7 triples in her FS and had 5 ratified. She did a good job and has no reason to be disappointed because she did her best.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Let me remind you Sasha was cleaning the ice on her flip at nationals. Sasha was in the scene since 2000 and lucky to medal in 2006. Sasha is day old bread, Rachael is the future.

The future of what?
Let me remind you that Sasha is an Olympic Silver medalist and Flatt is a 7th place Olympic finisher, the worst showing by a US Lady Champion going back before WW2.

I hope Flatt does better at Worlds because Mirai can't get back the third spot for USA all by herself.

Mirai is the future. Her talent is obvious and has fans and experts gushing. Orser praised Mirai as did Button.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The future of what?
Let me remind you that Sasha is an Olympic Silver medalist and Flatt is a 7th place Olympic finisher, the worst showing by a US Lady Champion going back before WW2.

I hope Flatt does better at Worlds because Mirai can't get back the third spot for USA all by herself.

Mirai is the future. Her talent is obvious and has fans and experts gushing. Orser praised Mirai as did Button.
Rachael is steady.

Am I not mistaken or does 4+7=11? In order to get 3 spots back the US ladies results just have to add up to 13 or less meaning Rachael doesn't have to do better to get 3 spots back, in fact both girls could do worse and still get 3 spots back. What did Orser say about Mirai? I didn't hear anything about that. Frank is a great coach for Mirai but if she ever switches again Orser is probably a good choice.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I know this thread is supposed to be about Mao, but since it has gone off topic about Rachael Flatt, I just wanted to say as an American I am proud of how she did at the Olympics. She skated two clean programs, and did her country proud, as well as herself!:thumbsup:

By the way, this Olympics has totally destroyed whatever respect I used to have for those older than me. As the old saying goes in order to be treated with respect, one must act with respect first. And in this day & age we see more & more a-holes; a reflection on our society no doubt. The internet makes it okay for a coward to hide behind the anonymity of the 'net, especially males abusers that pick on women, be it physically, emotionally, or mentally. This coming from a former social worker, one whom used to work at a battered women's shelter. I've seen it all.

Back on topic:

:love:GOOOOOOOOOO MAO-CHAN!!!!!:love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Am I not mistaken or does 4+7=11? In order to get 3 spots back the US ladies results just have to add up to 13 or less meaning Rachael doesn't have to do better to get 3 spots back, in fact both girls could do worse and still get 3 spots back. What did Orser say about Mirai? I didn't hear anything about that. Frank is a great coach for Mirai but if she ever switches again Orser is probably a good choice.

The NY Times article I linked in the "Wow Mirai" thread has some very complimetary words from Orser.

kyla2

Final Flight
Snarky Comments

There are an awful lot of snarky comments about Mao on this thread. She certainly doesn't deserve it. She delivered 2 fully rotated triple axels in her Lp and one in her short. The next time you can find a woman skater who can do that, be sure to let me know. I would never underestimate her. She has a ton of potential. All of this advice is very entertaining from armchair coaches.

FrozenHotCoffee

Spectator
It's just sad that her basic skating skills needs fix, that she needs a new jump coach, because she has been one of the top female skaters in the world, and a national treasure of Japan, and now she is the olympic silver medalist. I think it would be good for her to go USA or Canada but I don't know, she seems she likes to train at home, considering every time she goes, she had short stays mostly. I think, she has a diva- like personality which is natural thinking that she has been at the top. Fixing them would never be easy so I wouldn't be surprised if she skips next season.

As other people in here said, she really needs a good strategy team. I know some people are complaining about the base value of the quad jumps. But the rules are rules and it's a new order. The quad... I don't think that she has a time for that.

I just read an interview of Orser saying that Yu-na's next goal is 3A btw. Mao will need a quad then. It's just sad...:no::cry:

miki88

Medalist
It's just sad that her basic skating skills needs fix, that she needs a new jump coach, because she has been one of the top female skaters in the world, and a national treasure of Japan, and now she is the olympic silver medalist. I think it would be good for her to go USA or Canada but I don't know, she seems she likes to train at home, considering every time she goes, she had short stays mostly. I think, she has a diva- like personality which is natural thinking that she has been at the top. Fixing them would never be easy so I wouldn't be surprised if she skips next season.

As other people in here said, she really needs a good strategy team. I know some people are complaining about the base value of the quad jumps. But the rules are rules and it's a new order. The quad... I don't think that she has a time for that.

I just read an interview of Orser saying that Yu-na's next goal is 3A btw. Mao will need a quad then. It's just sad...:no::cry:

Diva like personality?? I can never associate that with Mao. She's one of the most humble athletes around. She tends to get homesick so that's why she prefers to remain in Japan and near her family.

Bennett

Record Breaker

Wow, is Yu-Na continuing? How exciting!
It's kind of interesting that both didn't give up the longtime dreams that they had talked about years ago (the 3A for Yuna and the quad for Mao).

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Wow, is Yu-Na continuing? How exciting!
It's kind of interesting that both didn't give up the longtime dreams that they had talked about years ago (the 3A for Yuna and the quad for Mao).

I don't think it's confirmed yet. I think Orser said he wouldn't be surprised if she came back and he would love for her to learn the 3A, but that she doesn't know it yet. I guess if she decides to continue he'll suggest working on the 3A.

nddandy

Rinkside
If I were Mao.. I would try to fix the Flutz first and then improve her weak lotto triple axel

CassieH

Rinkside
If I were Mao.. I would try to fix the Flutz first and then improve her weak lotto triple axel

I agree. Some users keep saying that Asada's 3As should have more goe, but the below website explains why she got low goe for her 3As.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_vancouver/Asada Triple Axel.htm

Asada need to work with her 3A more rather than quad jump if she really want to win OGM.
I really hope that she find someone who knows CoP very well like Orser and Wilson.

Last edited:

bibi24

Final Flight
I agree. Some users keep saying that Asada's 3As should have more goe, but the below website explains why she got low goe for her 3As.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_vancouver/Asada Triple Axel.htm

Asada need to work with her 3A more rather than quad jump if she really want to win OGM.
I really hope that she find someone who knows CoP very well like Orser and Wilson.

Photos could have been taken from different angles.... instead of one take with a video.

Just saying.... :p