Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 130

Thread: Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014

  1. #16
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    There is also an article that says Mao is thinking of bringing back her 3-3 in her program. If Mao brings her 3-3 back, then I think she has to bring her lutz back. As for her quad, I think it is not a big deal because it may just be a jump that stays in practice (Miki and her quad) if she doesn't get it consistent enough.
    She should focus on getting her 3-3 ... if she had that plus the 3a ... she may very well become the unbeatable one, given all her other wondereful qualities. Would she reallly be able to fix her 3-3 while focusing on the quad, even just for practice?

    It would probably take a lot of tedious work, though, getting rid of her flutz and practicing proper rotation technique. I guess it makes her feel better to work on a huge jump no one else can do, like the 3a and the quad..

    It's all up to her...

  2. #17
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    A Mao quad is a tantalizing thought, but for sure I want to see her do a full set of triples (including keeping that 3A in tip-top shape), get those 3-3's landed consistently, and have beautifully crafted programs that highlight her personality, first. Personally, I don't think the quad is worth it, compared to the other things she can work on and polish over 4 years. An 8-triple LP would be a more realistic, attainable, and rewarding goal.

  3. #18
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    She should focus on getting her 3-3 ... if she had that plus the 3a ... she may very well become the unbeatable one, given all her other wondereful qualities. Would she reallly be able to fix her 3-3 while focusing on the quad, even just for practice?

    It would probably take a lot of tedious work, though, getting rid of her flutz and practicing proper rotation technique. I guess it makes her feel better to work on a huge jump no one else can do, like the 3a and the quad..

    It's all up to her...
    I think it will depend on the new technical coach she has. If it is a good coach, then he/she will help her focus on the jumps she needs to perfect on. I wouldn't pay to much credence on the quad talk because there was a similar news ages ago that said Mao was practicing a quad salchow. It's merely a possiblity but that doesn't mean she will attempt it in competition.

  4. #19
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    I think Mao will be able to do the quad around 2012, but I don't know if her body will be able to hang onto it until 2014.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I just rewatched YuNa's and Mao's free skate. The think that strikes me is that, though I love both of them, I like Mao's upper body carriage just a bit more. She has a fluidity in her arms and back that YuNa lacks. I love the way Mao moves to music, and the way she projects emotion. When she's on, she sparkles like no one else. But I really disliked this program, especially the frenzied footwork with the fliung arms. And that garish costume. Her whole presentation worked against her rather than for her.

    I'd love to see her with Nobuo Sato. If she doesn't want to leave Japan (and I understand not wanting to leave home turf), he seems like the meticulous, steady, tasteful coach she needs. I gather she's strong-willed, but I would imagine he is too. And maybe Yuka could collaborate with him on her training! Asada is a national treasure, and there ought to be a way to bring her gifts to full flower.

    As for a quad jump, let her go for what she wants--it's her life and her body. But like most of you, I'd rather see her work on her existing (or nonexistent) other jumps and combinations.

  6. #21
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    54

    I hope Mao finds a great coach

    Mao should train with someone over the next few years who can help her get the most out of the COP system. Evan and Yu-Na were examples of how to maximize every point available. I think that Frank Carroll, Brian Orser, Schpilband/Zueva and also the choreographers did an excellent job.
    If I were a top level skater, I would want to go to one of these coaches.
    Belbin/Agosto, the other Russian ice dancers, and Mao Asada certainly did not benefit from the smartest strategies, which are really needed in the increasingly demanding system.

  7. #22
    Always Believed! Sk8n Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    520
    The exact wrong way to approach her skating in the next four years. She needs to move away from jump, jump,, jump and spend some time working on her basic skating skills, edges and expression. I hope she finds a coach who will help her to skate freely and joyously. TaT was the wrong coach for her. I posted in another thread, Is aw both Yu-Na and Mao at J. Worlds 4 years ago. I don't think Mao has improved much since then (she did the 3 ax then, too), but Yu-Na has polished her skills over the past 4 years. I hope Mao finds a coach who can help her to do that because God knows the girl is an amazing talent.

  8. #23
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    The exact wrong way to approach her skating in the next four years. She needs to move away from jump, jump,, jump and spend some time working on her basic skating skills, edges and expression. I hope she finds a coach who will help her to skate freely and joyously. TaT was the wrong coach for her. I posted in another thread, Is aw both Yu-Na and Mao at J. Worlds 4 years ago. I don't think Mao has improved much since then (she did the 3 ax then, too), but Yu-Na has polished her skills over the past 4 years. I hope Mao finds a coach who can help her to do that because God knows the girl is an amazing talent.
    She did improve in her expression though. She used to have the same serious expression throughout the programs. Her footwork, spirals, and spins have also gotten better because she is getting higher levels for them. She just needs a good technical coach to help her with her jump issues. I think the quad is mostly just talk though.

  9. #24
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,389
    I think Asada needs:

    1. a good technical jump coach that will work on getting her a full set of six functional triples, something she's never had (at the same time at any rate).

    2. a team member to concentrate on how to utilize her strengths and minimize her weakness in CoP (it seems like her team this year was thinking in 6.0 terms).

    3. to lighten up a little, how on earth did overblown gloominess and despair turn into her comfort zone? She needs to work on light and airy. She could use a fun SP to start with (well maybe work up to that with a fun exhibition piece).
    Last edited by Mafke; 02-28-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: more hot air!

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Itcaip View Post
    but i am so glad she is leaving tarasova.. i hope she finds someone who knows how to work the system and who can correct her jumps..
    she is?????

  11. #26
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Well it is pretty crazy to make that kind of statement four years away, i highly doubt she will have her 3 axels then never mind a quad. Her body is not a machine.

  12. #27
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    3. to lighten up a little, how on earth did overblown gloominess and despair turn into her comfort zone? She needs to work on light and airy. She could use a fun SP to start with (well maybe work up to that with a fun exhibition piece).
    Paradoxically, I think Mao is somehow most comfortable when she is pushing her comfort zone, and that is why she tackled "dark and gloomy." "Light and airy" is her natural element!

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well it is pretty crazy to make that kind of statement four years away, i highly doubt she will have her 3 axels then never mind a quad. Her body is not a machine.
    To be fair, people "highly doubted" she would be able to put 3 axels in her Olympics even after she got 2 ratified in the 2008 GPF. If Mao said she can do it, I believe she can do it.
    On the other hand, if Sasha said she can do a triple flip in Sochi, I would laugh so hard.

  14. #29
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    To be fair, people "highly doubted" she would be able to put 3 axels in her Olympics even after she got 2 ratified in the 2008 GPF. If Mao said she can do it, I believe she can do it.
    On the other hand, if Sasha said she can do a triple flip in Sochi, I would laugh so hard.
    Sasha could always do the wonky 3Flips we have seen from Rachael lately.
    And Sahsa had enough ability to keep the US Ladies Olympic medal streak going.

    I think Flatt's disappointing 7th place finish speaks for itself. It is the worst showing by a US Lady champion in almost 50 years. I wish her well at college and am happy we have Mirai, the skater Button has pegged as a future world champion.
    Last edited by janetfan; 02-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.

  15. #30
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    The thread title is really misleading.

    The original news source never said Mao said she will do a quad at Sochi.

    However, it's an attestment to how much people actually think that it might be possible for her to accomplish this feat, given the reaction it's getting here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •