Joannie Rochette Will Carry the Canadian Flag at the Closing Ceremonies | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette Will Carry the Canadian Flag at the Closing Ceremonies

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow. That is a huge honor considering Canada has so many great athletes, won a lot of medal (including some Gold :) ) and they are the host country. Pretty neat.

i love to skate

Medalist
I'm confused. I thought the short track speed skater Charles Hamelin had been selected. Did he request that the honor be given to Joannie instead? Or are they both being honored with carrying the flag in together?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/C...closing+ceremonies+Reports/2624241/story.html

That wasn't official. The COC just made the announcement at their news conference this morning and Joannie is who will carry it. Seems it was a lot of speculation and early guessing that it would be Hamelin.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YO JO! ;) What a special honor for her! This Games must feel surreal for her! She has been in this Olympic bubble and I don't think the true reality of everything has hit her quite yet. I do worry how life will be for her and her dad when they return home back to reality. Joannie has certainly proven she is strong though, stronger than we all believed she ever could be. It was really touching to hear her say in articles I read and video interviews I saw that she will help her dad and teach him how to do things her mom always did for him, like cooking and cleaning. I know they will get through the adjustment together, but it will take time to heal emotionally. I wish them all the best! :love:

Last edited:

UM84

On the Ice
My her mother RIP, what she did was very brave and I'm still deeply saddened by what occured , but I feel there were more derving athletes.

aurora100

Final Flight
Great news for Joanne. Perfect choice for Canada. I am wondering if Yuna would be asked to carry the Korean flag. Does anyone know? I hope she participates in the Closing Ceremony. The girl's got to experience the Olympics outside of figure skating.

ks777

Record Breaker
I heard Mao is also carrying the japanese flag.. I hope Yuna will be carrying the korean flag!!

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Great news for Joanne. Perfect choice for Canada. I am wondering if Yuna would be asked to carry the Korean flag. Does anyone know? I hope she participates in the Closing Ceremony. The girl's got to experience the Olympics outside of figure skating.

It was initially reported that Yuna was going to carry Korea's flag, but then the official announcement named Mo Tae bum (speed skating)

Kissx3

Final Flight
Another great honor for her. I think Canada has the most golds ever or something but I still wouldn't have chosen anyone else personally. She is a perfect example of the indomitable spirit of an Olympian and Canada's international face of these games.