"slow down!" | Golden Skate

"slow down!"

SugarCoated

Rinkside
After my session today at the rink i'm really frustrated. Although i did great things like land my loop again and my waltzes are the best theyve been i seem to have a HUGE problem.

I rush EVERYTHING. In my salchows everything goes so fast that i get twisted and dont throw my leg through, it ends up at some odd crooked position. My toe loop is rushed too because i end up spinning out of control. In my spins (one footed, and or scratch) i throw my leg out and can never get it around and down.

is there any way i can learn to stop rushing these things. is there something i can do to stop being so stiff and start to calm down?

any help would be great!

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
SugarCoated - yes, yes, and yes.

I had a similar problem to yours when I first started working on my freestyle program. Everything was just rush rush rush, from one element to the next. And my adrenaline would just spike up through the roof and I'd have a hard time even getting through the whole program.

But as I started skating to my music, I realized that in order to keep time, I was FORCED to slow things down. So I started using the same concept in practice. I find songs that are the right tempo for the jump/spin/element I'm doing, and sort of sing to myself while I skate. It really helps me with the timing and with calming myself down.

I know it sounds goofy, but hope this helps.

lutzgirl

Rinkside
That iz just like me actually!
I do that all the time i have no patience!
But im learning and so will you!

singerskates

On the Ice
Try to feel your music when skating. The ice is your canvas. Your skates are your paint brush and your music is your paint that swirls onto the ice in time with feeling. Have fun!

Last edited:

SugarCoated

Rinkside
Thanks tons. After reading this i've realized little things that i should be more aware of. The counting thing also seems like it really might help because i did that with my salchow a couple of times and it seemed to work.

icedream

Rinkside
I have the same problem when i'm skating my program! its like i'm scared that the music will end before i do. :\

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Icedream - yes, that is SO me!!! It's like I'm so "worried" about nailing the elements, that before I even finish the one I'm on, I'm already thinking of the next one and just kind of rushing through them all. Sometimes my adrenaline kicks in so high, it gets me started on a migraine (I get the kind with the flashing lights and the aura, and it starts the aura stuff). The only good thing about that is it is an EXCELLENT warning that I am just way to intense and need to kick it down a few notches.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SugarCoated:

This may sound like simple advice, but remember to take deep breaths and focus on what you are doing! Take longer strokes or bigger strides before you attempt a jump. Also, work on your cross-cuts. Make them really deep. You will find this will slow you down. Remember you are not in a race!

Hope this helps