When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice?

janetfan

Match Penalty
To rework his technique, He needs money.
He said it takes more than 90000 dollars a year to keep skating. and most of figure skaters take this amount of money a year to keep skating. - It's no secrect. and it's really LOT'S of money.
Does he have anywhere else to make money other than doing ice show? If he doesn't do this ice shows than how can he buy the foods that he need to survive? how can he pay his rant and water bills and etc? His parents don't have money. and he is an adult.
Prize money don't even come cloze the money he need to keep skating.
How can he rework his techniques without doing the shows? Does the money falls down from the sky? Does he have any sponser? (except Rindell who gives only skates not money). Your post is just ridiculous. What is wrong with you??

Every skater needs money to train and not just Johnny.
They may go about it in different ways and skating in shows is certainly a way to earn money.

If Johnny is the most popular skater in USA as his fans like to claim then he should be able to find sponsorship money, no?

I don't think Johnny is going to continue as a competitive skater and that is certainly his choice.
His statement that he pulled out of Worlds in order to rework his technique sounds dubious.

It is fine if you believe it but I think it sounds odd. The best thing Johnny could have done to help his skating career would have been to go to Worlds and win a medal.

Instead he has decided to hit the talk show circuit and play off his Olympic buzz (which I thought was good - and maybe it is a good idea to play the celebrity game rather than training hard for a few weeks and going to Worlds).

I have no problems with his choices but it doesn't mean I have to buy into this "rework the technique" business as a valid excuse for pulling out of worlds.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dumb question, probably, but what is Johnny's take on this? Was he invited and HE decided it wouldn't fit? Or is that too absurd to think at this point and Johnny wouldn't jump at any skating opportunity because he needs the cash even though SOI seems more and more tired every year? bet he makes just as much, if not more, to hit up the hollywood circuit.

Nan

Rinkside
Wow, all this discussion about Johnny Weir is unbelievable!!

First, we have the Olympics - Johhny wears real fur and PETA protests and then he states he is being threatened with death threats so at the last minutes he changes his costume, he was in the spotlight!

Next, last year he went on and on and on how he felt he should have been put on the team for Worlds. So this year he made the team and said he was going until the last minute and then said he was not going because he needed to work on his programs. Perhaps if he wasn't so busy going on talk shows, doing media and attending parties he could have been training for Worlds. Then his fans stated good for him and hoped the other men would do bad so it would prove they needed Johnny. Ryan Bradley has an injured foot but he is going and will give it his all which is something you can never say about Johnny!

Next, Johnny thinks how can I stay in the spotlight. I know I will state that SOI doesn't want me because I am not family friendly. SOI releases a statement that is not true but his fans don't believe it. Johnny always tells the truth and everyone else is a liar to hear them. Now we have his fans attacking the people who attend SOI and call them all kinds of names and on the SOI message board stated that anyone who attends, along with the skaters on the show, are all bigots. Someone even said SOI was crazy for not having him because he would be the star of the show, they don't get that it is STARS on Ice, not the Johnny Weir show. Someone even suggested throwing salt rock on the ice and now some fans are stating they should protest at the shows with signs and bull-horns! Now the fans are attacking religion, Evan L, Michelle K, Jeremy A, Michael W, etc. etc. etc. Next thing you know one of his fans will try sometime stupid and harm the other skaters!

Johnny Weir was a terrific skater years ago but when he decided he wanted to be a star he didn't train like he should have and now he cries about needing money. Please, the other skaters have bills to pay like him, perhaps they don't shop and shop like he does. If he wants his own show let Lady GaGa, Elton John and all his fans give him the money to do it.

Perhaps Johnny should get a job outside of skating but a company would not want someone like him, not because he is gay, but because he would whine and whine and whine about everything and want to be in the spotlight!

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1. The fact is that his reality show has made him more fans who are not necessarily skating fans.
2. His Olympic performance and good sportsmanship made him even more fans.
3. People want to see him and can't understand why he isn't appearing in Stars On Ice - it doesn't make sense to them.
4. All his TV interviews and his charming appearances have made him even more fans. They want to see him again!
5. His Facebook page is filled with fans who have never heard of him before the Olympics. He must be doing something right!

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I dont understand the reworking of the technique. I think he could of probably thought of something more believable, but Im glad he is doing what he can for himself. I dont think he would medal, and the USFSA left him off the team last year, when they could have made an exception. Sometimes, what goes around comes around.

Wicked

Final Flight
dumb question, probably, but what is Johnny's take on this? Was he invited and HE decided it wouldn't fit? Or is that too absurd to think at this point and Johnny wouldn't jump at any skating opportunity because he needs the cash even though SOI seems more and more tired every year? bet he makes just as much, if not more, to hit up the hollywood circuit.

I thought I read in one of those million articles about this, that Johnny's agent has been approaching SoI for years to get him on the tour and has been rebuffed.

KKonas

Medalist
I thought I read in one of those million articles about this, that Johnny's agent has been approaching SOI for years to get him on the tour and has been rebuffed.

Johnny was with COI agent Rocky Marval and was contracted to COI until the tour folded 2 years ago. I believe Tara Modlin is his current agent. Last year when he was off the World Team, SOI might not have been interested. Don't know why not this year - any number of reasons. As far as reworking technique - strange because it's not his technique so much that's a problem. Problem is he can't do difficult footwork into jumps because then he can't do jumps, which is why Galina totally watered down Wilson's choreo.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Johnny was with COI agent Rocky Marval and was contracted to COI until the tour folded 2 years ago. I believe Tara Modlin is his current agent. Last year when he was off the World Team, SOI might not have been interested. Don't know why not this year - any number of reasons. As far as reworking technique - strange because it's not his technique so much that's a problem. Problem is he can't do difficult footwork into jumps because then he can't do jumps, which is why Galina totally watered down Wilson's choreo.

Good points and I give you two names - EVAN and JEREMY

Johny has been surpassed by them and SOI was never about scraping the bottom of the barrell for second tier skaters.

Does that mean they are haters or prejudiced against whatever Johnny claims or denies he is? :laugh:

Maybe SOI just wants the best skaters.

Mafke

Medalist
Johny has been surpassed by them and SOI was never about scraping the bottom of the barrell for second tier skaters.

I guess that explains Steven Cousins (rimshot)

Abbot hasn't really surpassed Weir competitively yet (though he will have if he skates reasonably well at worlds), but even then he won't have passed him in terms of star quality and audience appeal and drawing power.

Those are three things I think SOI might want to give some thought to. On the other hand, Abbot does have the 'right' management and Weir doesn't.

Does that mean they are haters or prejudiced against whatever Johnny claims or denies he is? :laugh:

That's ridiculous. Again, I'd like to know if you've seen the show lately. I really hate to name names in this context, but SOI has a number of *former* champions who are, to put it gently, gliding over the hill and far from top tier today, whatever they might have been 5-10 years ago. Not to mention the hoop and comic skating acts who are also part of the show (and frankly get some of the biggest applause!). It would be hard to make a case that Johnny is surpassed by - even if we stick to currently competing SOI members - Alissa Czisny. But then you don't seem to be concerned with making an argument in this thread, but just sneering.

On a more factual level, yes, you're right: Evan has surpassed Johnny as a champion and I haven't seen a single post suggesting he should not be part of SOI. Jeremy - not so fast. He was far below Johnny at the biggest competition of all a month ago. Let's see what he does in Torino. Even so, again, no one has said he shouldn't be in SOI. You're turning it into a zero sum game but it doesn't have to be that.

But the point is, SOI is a show, not a competition, and needs skating stars who can connect with audiences. The world saw Johnny's ability to do that at the Olympics. Even if you don't like him, a lot of people would pay money to see him skate live.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Do any SOI skaters have contract with SOI for a long period of time, say several years?

It's obvious that they want Jeremy, not Johnny. And they think that one of these two will be enough since one is current and two times National Champion and the other is three times past National Champion and past World bronze medalist. Does every one in US vote for who should be on the team or SOI decides it?

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I guess that explains Steven Cousins (rimshot)

Abbot hasn't really surpassed Weir competitively yet (though he will have if he skates reasonably well at worlds), but even then he won't have passed him in terms of star quality and audience appeal and drawing power.

Those are three things I think SOI might want to give some thought to. On the other hand, Abbot does have the 'right' management and Weir doesn't.

And Jennifer Robinson(rimshot??) Last SOI I went to was a major snooze.... Would love to see some ROCK STAR skaters at a show.

Nan

Rinkside
I watched the Joy Behar show last night. I thought it was very interesting that Johnny stated he never heard the "family friendly" comment made by SOI, as far as he knows it was never said to Tara and he has no idea where all this "family friendly" statement came from. There was also some other very interesting things he said about the Olympics and why he didn't medal, etc. He loves playing the victim.

I think Johnny has played the media, public and his fans to keep himself in the news. Will the media now report that the statement by SOI was right and Johnny does not have idea where the "family friendly" remark came from???

Last edited:

oakl0008

Rinkside
Hey all (again). Here's more proof that SOI's "explanation" for not including Weir on the tour doesn't hold water.

I just mentioned this on the announcements board. Shawn Sawyer has pulled out of his commitment to Cirque On Ice with the Raquet Club of Victoria as he was a last minute addition to the SOI tour. Although I don't blame him for taking this opportunity, Sawyer sold out by pulling out of his previous committment.

And it makes me sad that Sawyer opened himself up completely to the load of backlash that may come of this. Was he living under a rock during the media storm as to why former world medallist Weir was yet again left off the tour.

I'm thrilled for Sawyer, but in another breath, have lost some respect for him.

http://www.racquetclubofvictoria.com/welcome.htm This is where I found the news. Anyone have anymore to share on this new tidbit?

Last edited:

oakl0008

Rinkside
Forget what I said about Weir, Sawyer was added to the CSOI cast. They need to be specific on these things!