Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't taping the judges prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by sarukou View Post
    This is exactly it. Why do you think there is now anonymous - secret - judging?

And, there has been a case under the 6.0 of judges being spied on. Remember 'Footsiegate' at the 1999 World Pairs event? Judges were filmed giving foot-tapping signals to each other.

My guess is that when they were caught, they didn't like it much. Anonymous judging allows for anonymous cheating, so to speak. Unless they are caught on film.

Oh, no! The judges would have to worry about being fair! What a terrible and unnecessary pressure to put them under...
    I think it's a matter of taking the high ground. I don't think there is anyone on this board who is FOR anonymous judging. But the fact is that it's highly questionable that this television station is trying to circumspect basic journalism ethics to get their story.

And the worst part is that the filming didn't really add much to the story.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    But if you are a casual viewer in Japan and watch this you probably now think the South Korean judge was biased and purposely scoring Mao less.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think it's a matter of taking the high ground. I don't think there is anyone on this board who is FOR anonymous judging. But the fact is that it's highly questionable that this television station is trying to circumspect basic journalism ethics to get their story.

It's a bit scary how often I agree with you, Mrs. P!

I was scratching my head when I read this thread, wondering what the point of this exercise was anyway, considering the breakdown of the scores comes out almost immediately and many FS fans in a country where the sport is popular know how the GOE system works. If it was intended to educate the wider audience, they could have just... explained in words? Although it would be terribly unfair, some people from outside Japan might associate this negatively with the Japanese skaters.

Tripping on the Podium
    Is it now Korea & USA vs Japan & Russia?

Personally, I found this program informative. I always wondered how the scores were registered that I tried to get a seat right behind the judges at the TEB. The ticketing didn't work as I wanted and now my curiosity is somewhat resolved.

However, the ISU should not be happy about this. It is certainly against their anonymous judging policy. Also, their intention doesn't seem to be very pure as they were filming only one judge. They really didn't trust this judge, lol

Mashimaro on Ice
    I found it weird that the man ( I think a judge) actually answered questions for the reporters of why he scored Mao that way. I thought judges wouldn't answer questions about individual scores of skaters to the media. Just seems strange.

Rinkside
    Hi. This is my first post. Have been content to read all discussions until now but decided to jump into this discussion.

I feel like this judge is unfairly accused of cheating. Aren't the GOEs that were scored by this judge who was taped on par with most of the other judges?

Can you imagine what the television station could have come up with if Mao had skated without those two jump hiccups and Yuna has fallen twice? Because given the kind of GOEs she was getting in the two seasons leading up to the Olympics, it's likely that Yuna still would have won gold.

ISU really should be grateful to Yuna for holding them up.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    She and Japan should be very pleased with her silver medal.
    Don't worry, they ARE pleased!

http://vancouver.yahoo.co.jp/photos/...p-spo.view-000

Rinkside
    The logic behind the secrecy is a two-sided coin. Yes, the public accountability of individual judges evaporated but that applies to those who try to manipulate the system as well. Say, if you bribed a judge but you can't tell whether s/he delivered then it's likely you just wasted money - unless you bought the whole panel. I think it is better to keep the anonymity to a certain degree for that reason. The public can still tell who the judges are anyway. (They are sitting there with the audience)

Custom Title
    I think what's most ironic about this whole judging business (and slightly ot since it's not about the taping itself) is that a couple of months ago, so many people were insinuating that there would be a Japanese judge or tech caller who was going to unfairly judge any non-Japanese skater (this was after the 4CC when Yuna got a downgrade on her jump). And of course, the Japanese sponsors, who would also influence the outcome. Phil Hersh dedicated an entire article to the conspiracy theory. Instead, what you had was a Korean judge on the judging panel, and a lot of big Korean sponsors for the Olympics.

I know Yuna won fair and square, with no biased judging or "judges being bribed", however, I just find it interesting that so many people were buying into the conspiracy theories against the Japanese. I know there were a few threads about it several months back.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I know Yuna won fair and square, with no biased judging or "judges being bribed", however, I just find it interesting that so many people were buying into the conspiracy theories against the Japanese. I know there were a few threads about it several months back.
    What is skating without conspiracy?:banging:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Glad to see the smile back on Mao's face!!

Quote Originally Posted by usethis View Post
    Say, if you bribed a judge but you can't tell whether s/he delivered then it's likely you just wasted money - unless you bought the whole panel. I think it is better to keep the anonymity to a certain degree for that reason.
    The anonymity idea was put into the Interim System for the 2002-2003 season to try to appease the International Olympic Committee after the Salt Lake City pairs judging scandal. It was then retained in the CoP. The point was not to prevent bribery but to prevent national federation leaders from pressuring judges from their own country to go along with whatever deal the federation chiefs cooked up (e.g., Didier Gailhaguet pressuring French judge Marie Reine Le Gougne.)

I do not think this secrecy idea works at all. In the first place, the judges and federation chiefs are on the same team, they are not adversaries. Secondly, it is quite easy for ISU insiders to find out which judge voted which way -- it is just the public that is in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by urigio View Post
    Hi. This is my first post. Have been content to read all discussions until now but decided to jump into this discussion.

I feel like this judge is unfairly accused of cheating. Aren't the GOEs that were scored by this judge who was taped on par with most of the other judges?
    Welcome. urigio. Post often, post long!

Is the judge in the video really being accused of cheating? Or are the commentators just trying to educate viewers on the importance of GOEs in the ISU judging system? (I do not speak Japanese, so I am just going by reports on this thread.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    That's great to see. Congrats Mao! You did an amazing job!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast