Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rachael and Mirai NOW!

Rachael and Mirai NOW!

BOTH skaters did their job in Vancouver - Mirai coming close to the podium and Rachael beating out 3 other skaters for a top 10 position. Their placement scores add up to 11 and for Worlds, that means 3 Ladies in next season.

Too late to change music. but I hope Rachael puts a little more schmaltz with big smiles when skating in Torino. The SP is working out fine.

Mirai was wonderful. First time I've seen a great interpretation of Carmen without the pot-boiling story. Mirai played it sassy and kept right with the rhythms of Bizet's scores especially the ending which I call "Beat Out That Rhythm On a Drum" sung by Pearl Baily in Carmen Jones.

Who can disupt their very possible placement scores of more than 13 in Torino?

Too bad there weren't more retirements so they'd have a better shot at a medal at Worlds. But as far as I know Yu-Na, Mao, and Joannie are all going.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Too bad there weren't more retirements so they'd have a better shot at a medal at Worlds. But as far as I know Yu-Na, Mao, and Joannie are all going.
    Poo. I thought Joannie wouldn't go and then we'd have a real shot at a medal. I don't know if Mirai or Rachael will beat Miki there either, I mean, I know they are both capable of it but it depends on the judging, plus I feel like Miki always does well at worlds....

Joannie may be a question mark. Last night after the Closing Ceremony NBC did a short interview with Joannie. She was asked what were her plans for the future and she said that she was going home to be with her family and no media (she said that with a smile), then she may take a vacation in St. Lucia and she was not sure about competing at Worlds she said if her skating is good she may consider it but she was not sure.

Custom Title
    I think Miari is NOW, Rachel didn't really wow anyone (with the exception of people on this board). Miari really wowed people with her FS and showed she is here.

Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    I think Miari is NOW, Rachel didn't really wow anyone (with the exception of people on this board). Miari really wowed people with her FS and showed she is here.
    This.

Mirai was fun to watch, and looked very determined to do well. She really sold her LP.

Rachael was...just...meh. There was no impact. JP media covered her very briefly only b/c she's the reigning US champ, but they didn't consider her a real contender or even someone worthy of great notice.

I'm still puzzled as to how Rachael ended up winning the title in the first place. Was everyone else injured or unable to pass doping test?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    This.

Mirai was fun to watch, and looked very determined to do well. She really sold her LP.

Rachael was...just...meh. There was no impact. JP media covered her very briefly only b/c she's the reigning US champ, but they didn't consider her a real contender or even someone worthy of great notice.

I'm still puzzled as to how Rachael ended up winning the title in the first place. Was everyone else injured or unable to pass doping test?
    Judges gave Mirari under rotations on her jumps. And by doing that could of cost her a bronze medal because the judges were looking extra close at her her jumps because of the under rotations given to her at Nationals

Custom Title
    As far as I know Mirai did not recieve any deductions for UR's at the Olympics. She did receive an edge call in the short program, however. But I could be wrong. Rachael recieved a couple of UR calls in the long, ironically, those looked good, it was the short program jumps that looked suspect to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Czisny and Zhang bombed, Sasha 2-footed just about every jump (and fell), Ashley fell in the SP, Mirai had 3 URs in the FS.

At the Olympics, Mirai got an edge call but no URs in the SP, and didn't get any edge calls or URs in the FS. Rachael had no edge calls or URs in the SP, but got two URs in the FS. If she had been clean in the FS her FS score would have likely been a point or two below Mirai's FS score.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Czisny and Zhang bombed, Sasha 2-footed just about every jump (and fell), Ashley fell in the SP, Mirai had 3 URs in the FS.
    Besides the mistakes of others, it is worth pointing out that Rachael delivered a seven-triple program at U.S. nationals. (Compare: 4 triples for Asada, 6 for Kim at the Olympics.)

Too bad about those underrotation calls in the LP at Vancouver. Without those she probably would have finished fifth ahead of Lepisto and Ando.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post

At the Olympics, Mirai got an edge call but no URs in the SP, and didn't get any edge calls or URs in the FS. Rachael had no edge calls or URs in the SP, but got two URs in the FS. If she had been clean in the FS her FS score would have likely been a point or two below Mirai's FS score.
    Thanks.

I didn't watch US Nat b/c they don't show it here, so I had no idea what happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Besides the mistakes of others, it is worth pointing out that Rachael delivered a seven-triple program at U.S. nationals. (Compare: 4 triples for Asada, 6 for Kim at the Olympics.)

Too bad about those underrotation calls in the LP at Vancouver. Without those she probably would have finished fifth ahead of Lepisto and Ando.
    Yeah, I thought her jumps were maybe a little UR in the SP, but in the LP they looked totally fine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

I actually enjoyed this performance of Rachael's more than any other in the last couple of years, except maybe her SA LP. In any case, kudos to her for a good job. 7th at the Olympics in such a field is not bad at all.

OT, but has anyone heard from Ando after the LP? I hope she's not beating herself up or, more accurately, I hope Morosov is not being harsh with her.
    Last edited by yunasashafan; 03-02-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Banned
    Rachel deserved 5th place and the commentators, all 3 agreed she was undermarked, This girl is not getting the respect she deserves. A difficult, sassy SP among the best out there. She looks a bit matronly at 16 and her body type is not perfect when we all seem to expect Asian teenagers to be the norm. Dorothy respects her and who skates with more elegance than her? Give Flatt a break. She's more than "solid." Her triples were rotated.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    I actually enjoyed this performance of Rachael's more than any other in the last couple of years, except maybe her SA LP. In any case, kudos to her for a good job. 7th at the Olympics in such a field is not bad at all.

OT, but has anyone heard from Ando after the LP? I hope she's not beating herself up or, more accurately, I hope Morosov is not being harsh with her.
    Aren't Miki and Morozov like dating or something? I heard that somewhere so I kinda doubt he'd be mean. At least I hope so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast