Rachael and Mirai NOW! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael and Mirai NOW!

Nadia01

Final Flight
Oh Gosh, I read your post as I was having breakfast and almost tossed my wheaties!

Poor Miki :cry:

I think Miki & Morozov dating is true. I heard that from someone else too in Japan, though I don't know where he read/heard about it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Miki & Morozov dating is true. I heard that from someone else too in Japan, though I don't know where he read/heard about it.

Yeah I've heard it from multiple sources. Gosh though, Miki is famous and beautiful, she can do better than Morozov!

Wicked

Final Flight
I find Rachael to be a boring, solid skater. I don't connect to her at all. I do respect her skating. Mirai, I think is wonderful and I think she is right when she says she's the future. Going to Frank seems to really be working out for her.

The idea of Miki and Morozov dating just makes me sad. They do not seem like a fit. If true, I hope they're happy.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think Rachael is solid. But there's nothing about her skating that stands out. Her jumps are there, but the technique isn't great and the jumps themselves aren't impressively well done. She's slow, but her skating skills are decent...but not great. Her spins positions are hideous, quite frankly, and the spins themselves are slow. There's no wow factor to her skating. Additionally, her built isn't the one usually associated with a beautiful line - which isn't her fault at all, but she certainly could be packaged a lot better. Her dresses don't often flatter her figure and the bump-it was bad (glad it was toned down for the Olys). In short: she doesn't really call your attention with her skating.

I think her flips looked a little pre-rotated, but it certainly was a harsh call. But her jumps looked very short in the SP and she didn't get hurt for it, so I'd call it a wash.

Nagasu, on the other hand, may under-rotate, but her skating has a lot more pizazz and it factor. Her spins and spirals are among the best in the world. Her jumps may be occasionally questionable on rotation, but when they're done well, they're one of the best among the US ladies. She's got good skating skills and speed and fantastic personality.

Rachael might be more consistent, but Mirai is more impressive. I think Rachael will skate clean more often than Mirai, but a clean Mirai should beat a clean Rachael every time.

heyang

Record Breaker
Rachael is a very 'solid' skater - consistent.

During some post competition commentary on Olympic late night, Dick Button essentially said that Mirai has a very natural performance style, whereas Rachael tends to seem more 'choreographed'. Mirai's performance is 'unforced'.

Both have good technical skills, but, for many, Rachael lacks an 'it' factor of Mirai - she doesn't 'sparkle' as naturally as Mirai. A Lot of people thought Mirai should have won the US title because of her performance factor. I think under 6.0, Mirai would likely have had her 2nd US title over Rachael.

IMHO, I feel Rachael is like another Sarah Hughes - steady, consistent, not a lot of flare, but wins with performance of 'lifetime' at the world level. IMHO, Mirai has the POTENTIALl to be another Yu-Na. Caroline Zhang may be the next 'Sasha' - beautiful skater with nerve issues, assuming Caroline can also defeat her technique issues. I certainly hope that CZ can defeat both technique and nerve issues.

I'm really hoping that Mirai and Ashley can earn 3 spots for next year's World's. It's a highly likely possibility, but then you never know what the other competitors will do now that they aren't under the Olympic spot light and how all the media attention will impact the top 6 ladies from the Olympics.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I actually enjoyed Rachel's performance at Nationals. It was her best ever for me. She seemed quite free and put a lot of energy into the performance. At Olympics she was quite a bit tighter, perhaps because she knew that even if she skated perfectly she likely wouldn't be on the podium.

Mirai was a little tighter in terms of the performance at Olympics, but she also didn't make a mistake like she did at Nationals so overall I'd rate her LP at the Olympics as better.

I'd like to see Mirai skate to music that is more unique. I don't find her Carmen to be special. Her interpretation is actually kind of confused because, for example, she has a concerned look on her face leading into the 2Axel-3Toe but then right before the jump she suddenly goes "Oh, I have to present this!" and pulls out a big smile that doesn't really have anything to do with the music.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I actually enjoyed Rachel's performance at Nationals. It was her best ever for me. She seemed quite free and put a lot of energy into the performance. At Olympics she was quite a bit tighter, perhaps because she knew that even if she skated perfectly she likely wouldn't be on the podium.

Mirai was a little tighter in terms of the performance at Olympics, but she also didn't make a mistake like she did at Nationals so overall I'd rate her LP at the Olympics as better.

I'd like to see Mirai skate to music that is more unique. I don't find her Carmen to be special. Her interpretation is actually kind of confused because, for example, she has a concerned look on her face leading into the 2Axel-3Toe but then right before the jump she suddenly goes "Oh, I have to present this!" and pulls out a big smile that doesn't really have anything to do with the music.

I don't think Mirai's quite polished yet. But I assume that if she stays with Frank and does what she needs to do, she may end up as one of the biggest challengers for Sochi OGM.

I'm really hoping that Mirai and Ashley can earn 3 spots for next year's World's. It's a highly likely possibility, but then you never know what the other competitors will do now that they aren't under the Olympic spot light and how all the media attention will impact the top 6 ladies from the Olympics.
Mirai and Ashley? Did I miss something?

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I don't think Mirai's quite polished yet. But I assume that if she stays with Frank and does what she needs to do, she may end up as one of the biggest challengers for Sochi OGM.

What does that mean specifically? I think she is more refined than 98% of the women. I think it was her lack of international exposure/reputation that held her back at the Olympics.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Yeah I've heard it from multiple sources. Gosh though, Miki is famous and beautiful, she can do better than Morozov!

Morozov is also famous and beautiful. Those two will have lovely skating babies that pop out of the womb with a salchow entry, right into riverdancing footwork with a perfectly arched hunchback.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I don't want this thread to get too far into rumor, but wow. If that is true it should make for an interesting coach/student relationship to say the least.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What does that mean specifically? I think she is more refined than 98% of the women. I think it was her lack of international exposure/reputation that held her back at the Olympics.

I agree and of the US Ladies only Alissa is a more refined skater than Mirai at this point. Some could argue for Ashley but certainly not Rachael who still needs so much work on her spins and positions.

About "Carmen" - many thought it was an odd choice but it turns out to have been a briliant choice for Mirai. We may have seen better character portrayals but Mirai skated to the music exceptionally well.

Was it an accident that Mirai brought the audiences to their feet at Natls and the Olympics before the music even ended?
Closing with the rousing Gypsy Dance and using Mirai's speed and spectacular spinning abilty was smart, smart, smart.

Frank had commented that "Carmen" was picked to help Mirai grow - and I think we will see her music selected with a similar purpose each season leading toward 2014.

I think Lori did a great job with the choreo. I say that because it is one of the few programs I have bothered to watch again on YouTube. I watch it because it is so much fun and very entertaining watching Mirai skating to this music.

Apparently the judges thought so too as 4th place at the Olympics on a night when many better known and more experienced Ladies skated their best is not too shabby.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Morozov is also famous and beautiful. Those two will have lovely skating babies that pop out of the womb with a salchow entry, right into riverdancing footwork with a perfectly arched hunchback.

:rofl: Too Much!!! :laugh: Where can I send you the bill, for having to take my laptop in to get the coffee spray cleaned out!

ms9421

Spectator
I'm not a big fan of Rachael's skating at all, but I only just saw her Olympic LP, and if it's true that both her flips were downgraded, I sure do smell something fishy going on. The first one might've been questionable (but even then, it looked no worse than the flips of some others that weren't downgraded), but the second one looked completely clean to me. I paid close attention to her landing foot, and I saw no evidence of her making the turn on the ice. Wuzrobbed!

You don't brains and niether does the Judges they use one camer I saw not thing wrong with with Rachael skating was great . You guys must not see reel good Because I great eye site. Racheal great skate they just don't like Americans especally Russia who I hate Period. Bye the people Racheal tring go Stanford U. She's not to worry about bad Judges what they think her skating, she had a great time at the Olympic Games now she getting ready for College. She will not have time Skate anymore after this fall because her College is as hard as Harvard and Yale. Also she great persom maybe some of you stop riping her just enjoy her as a person. You Andalusia need act more like her stop being jerk. She thank her fans, everybody support, she had great ime there, just maybe if you acted like her you everybody else on this board would be better for it and better person.

Last edited:

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Alissa is much slower skater than Mirai, at least it looks that way to me. I do like Alissa's skating, I don't enjoy watching her skate, however. I am dreading a mistake, or two, or three every program from her. In this way I find Alissa not as refined as Mirai.
I agree and of the US Ladies only Alissa is a more refined skater than Mirai at this point. Some could argue for Ashley but certainly not Rachael who still needs so much work on her spins and positions.

About "Carmen" - many thought it was an odd choice but it turns out to have been a briliant choice for Mirai. We may have seen better character portrayals but Mirai skated to the music exceptionally well.

Was it an accident that Mirai brought the audiences to their feet at Natls and the Olympics before the music even ended?
Closing with the rousing Gypsy Dance and using Mirai's speed and spectacular spinning abilty was smart, smart, smart.

Frank had commented that "Carmen" was picked to help Mirai grow - and I think we will see her music selected with a similar purpose each season leading toward 2014.

I think Lori did a great job with the choreo. I say that because it is one of the few programs I have bothered to watch again on YouTube. I watch it because it is so much fun and very entertaining watching Mirai skating to this music.

Apparently the judges thought so too as 4th place at the Olympics on a night when many better known and more experienced Ladies skated their best is not too shabby.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Alissa is much slower skater than Mirai, at least it looks that way to me. I do like Alissa's skating, I don't enjoy watching her skate, however. I am dreading a mistake, or two, or three every program from her. In this way I find Alissa not as refined as Mirai.

It depends on how you interpret the meaning of "refined."
Certainly jumping is important and Mirai seems to be a much more secure jumper than Alissa.

Looking at their expression, the IN and the way they hold positions I would give an edge to Alissa right now.

That isn't meant as a knock on Mirai and I expect by next season she will have even better artistry. I think her team worked hard - and is still working hard on fixing up Mirai's jumps and the ur/edge problems. When this becomes more secure we will most likely see Mirai's artistry blossom.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
It depends on how you interpret the meaning of "refined."
Certainly jumping is important and Mirai seems to be a much more secure jumper than Alissa.

Looking at their expression, the IN and the way they hold positions I would give an edge to Alissa right now.

That isn't meant as a knock on Mirai and I expect by next season she will have even better artistry. I think her team worked hard - and is still working hard on fixing up Mirai's jumps and the ur/edge problems. When this becomes more secure we will most likely see Mirai's artistry blossom.

I agree with that. When she's not jumping, Alissa is the most beautiful skater. Too bad about her competitive nerves. And Mirai is just starting to realize her artistry.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Alissa is a beautiful skater but is more like Sasha in that she gets nervous. The other thing is that Alissa is not the whole package - she has flexibility, great spins, and expression but doesn't have the technical goods (jumps), consistency, and competitive nerves to back her up. Mirai does have these things and that is why she is the full package and on her way to becoming a star. Alissa is also 6 years older than Mirai so of course she would be more polished and sophisticated, Mirai will grow in these areas as she gets older.

Rachael is a very 'solid' skater - consistent.

During some post competition commentary on Olympic late night, Dick Button essentially said that Mirai has a very natural performance style, whereas Rachael tends to seem more 'choreographed'. Mirai's performance is 'unforced'.

Both have good technical skills, but, for many, Rachael lacks an 'it' factor of Mirai - she doesn't 'sparkle' as naturally as Mirai. A Lot of people thought Mirai should have won the US title because of her performance factor. I think under 6.0, Mirai would likely have had her 2nd US title over Rachael.

IMHO, I feel Rachael is like another Sarah Hughes - steady, consistent, not a lot of flare, but wins with performance of 'lifetime' at the world level. IMHO, Mirai has the POTENTIALl to be another Yu-Na. Caroline Zhang may be the next 'Sasha' - beautiful skater with nerve issues, assuming Caroline can also defeat her technique issues. I certainly hope that CZ can defeat both technique and nerve issues.

I'm really hoping that Mirai and Ashley can earn 3 spots for next year's tWorld's. It's a highly likely possibility, but then you never know what the other competitors will do now that they aren't under the Olympic spot light and how all the media attention will impact the top 6 ladies from the Olympics.
Good thinking Post!
If the would be 11 points at the Olys were to count towards the 1011 season, we could add Ashley or whomever to next years Nats but it is only counted at Worlds. I believe Mirai and Rachael could garner at least 13 points in Torino.

Their nemesis in Torino will be Ando, Kostner, Lepitot and a suprising Meier. which could knock out he American hopes.