Who's the most competitive? | Golden Skate

Who's the most competitive?

M

mathman444

Who's the most competitive?

In this month's Blades on Ice, Johnny Weir is quoted as saying,

"From what I saw (in his first season of senior competitions), the women are much less friendly (to each other) than the men. There seem to be some real rivalries. Maria Butyrskaya is a nice lady off the ice, but during a competition she's so intense, she's scary."

In which discipline do you think the skater's are most fiercely competitive?

S

StarChick99

Re: Who's the most competitive?

The ladies. I remember reading an article and even Michelle said that the ladies don't get along very well.

J

Joesitz

the ladies definitely. Figure Skating lends itself to women. Men have many more sports that can interest them.

An example that I saw, was that little Russian jumper who was winning European championships but had a tough time with Tara and Michelle. She almost gave up skating. After the Nagano Oly she took note of what T and M were doing and from then on Irina emerged. Pure competitiveness.

IMO, Dance is to corrupt to even consider it as a competition.

Joe

T

thermalundies

I am odd one out.
I think dancers are competitive at the moment.

M

mathman444

ThermalUndies -- Me, too. I voted for dancers. BTW, I love your login name!

Mathman

PS. Does Scotland have an extensive skating program? Is there a separate Scots Figure Skating Association, different from the British one?

M

mathman444

Interesting that in spite of the Sale & Pelletier/ Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze/ Russian Mafia wars being waged on three different threads in the main folder, NOBODY thinks that pairs are the most competitive discipline.

Mathman

S

StarChick99

well you can't say no one, because according to the poll 1 person does

L

LADSKATER

I think it's pretty much even for all the disciplines. I also believe the media enjoys playing up the reactions of the skaters between one another. Of course, there is fierce competition in the ladies at the moment and they do show their emotions more in the Kiss and Cry than the men. The competition is there among the men as well, they are just better at "hiding" their emotions.

I think we tend to forget here, skaters are people too. With the tremendous pressure they are constantly under (not to mention scrutiny) their emotional sides are bound to show up now and then.

Ladskater

J

Jules Asner

I think the men are the most competitive, the women perhaps give in to cattyness, that is different than being competitive. They are young and its to be expected that girls under the age of 18 are going to sometimes be that way. It's part of nature.

K

Katja73

I said dance. Just watching a final group warm-up or practices is like watching fierce competition. LOL

L

lottafs

I say ladies. I'm betting you there are catfights going on backstage!! :rollin:

R

RealtorGal

Dance. It's ugly out there.

R

rgirl181

I say ladies and I say Michelle is probably the most competitive. Not a diss. It's a good thing, kept in perspesctive, which I think she does. But Sarah and Sasha and just a hair behind. Actually, I think what holds Irina back is that she hasn't found the right way to chennel her competitiveness yet.

But I do agree, ice dance warm-ups are scary. I'm surprised more ice dancers don't get "accidentally slashed" with somebody else's skate.

R

RealtorGal

There is no way that Michelle would have busted her butt all these years to be the best if she were not extremely competitive. You have to want to win BADLY to win that much and that often.

G

GBMalwayz

sad to say, but ladies. Much has been made of Michelle/Irina's friendship, but according to Brennan, they've had dinner together once in all those years of COI touring.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

as SOI's fun and games act said

"The ladies practice is the BEST half hour in the panthium of sport. The skaters are stylishly dressed... but the aggresion is naked, feline! Show up as the little darlin's take to the ice then stand back and WATCH that fur fly! ROWWWWWR!"

:lol: I loved the way Brian Orser said it... Scott was good but Brian was PERFECT :lol: