Thread: Lysacek's Olympic Costume

Medalist

Lysacek's Olympic Costume

Can someone please explain to me why Evan had snakes sewn onto his LP costume? For the life of me, I can't figure out why the snakes are there and it's driving me crazy!!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    General snake symbolism? This is a bit far-fetched but I can imagine Evan thinking that way.
    The Gadsden flag of the American Revolution depicts a rattlesnake coiled up and poised to strike. Below the image of the snake is the legend, "Don't tread on me." The snake symbolized the dangerousness of colonists willing to fight for their rights and homeland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent...9#Guardianship

Custom Title
    I think it has to do with the music that he picked, Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov. The music is based on the book One Thousand and One Nights (aka Arabian Nights). I think Evan is portraying the "mad king," Shahriar, who has come to mistrust all women and has beheaded a thousand of them (one every night after marrying them). Scheherazade eventually charms him with her continous stories that she leaves at a cliffhanger each night so that the king requests her to finish the next evening and so on.

The snakes are just part of "middle eastern" imagery that is often thought of by westerners (think Arabia-->Persia--->India--->snake charmers, cobras, etc). It's not culturally accurate, but it conveys the theme.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Raatkirani View Post
    ... Evan is portraying the "mad king," Shahriar, who has come to mistrust all women ....

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Evan himself explains the snakes in this video:

http://www.mefeedia.com/news/28760206

Summary: He's skating to Scheherazade, which is about the battle between an evil king and a slave for the love of a woman. One of the snakes represent the slave, the other represents the evil king, and they meet in the middle as they battle. He portrays the two different characters in the program, switching back and forth.

Well, um, ok. Scheherazade redone as snakes on a split personality. Whatever you say, Evan.