Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

bmelanie

On the Ice
I've read multiple articles in the Korean media these past few days (English article) where Orser articulated that he thinks the next step for Yuna is the triple axel. It's well-known that one of the original reasons Yuna went to Orser was to learn the triple axel technique, but then liked training with him enough that she stayed. Around that time, however (GP and worlds 2007), she also developed a hernia in her back and missed the timing to learn the triple axel. She was also plagued with injury the following year.

excerpt:
At a press conference, when asked 'What would be Yuna's next step, if she were to continue skating?', Orser replied 'The triple axel.'
'We tried it 2-3 years ago, but not after that. I'm confident that Yuna could do it. We are already receiving high TES with the jumps we have, but with the triple axel she could score even higher.'
He also said that, considering Yuna's age, another go for the Olympic gold medal at Sochi was completely possible, but that it all depended on what Yuna wanted to do.

gaaah now I'm really excited and I hope Yuna keeps skating - I mean, I wouldn't blame her in the least if she retired now, but she's still so young and I feel she could do so much more if she kept with it. She hasn't really talked about retiring, other than the fact that she would definitely like a break, which she rightfully deserves. But Orser's already on-board of she wants it (and therefore by extension David Wilson). And who else to learn 3A from than Mr Triple Axel himself.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope she does it.. she could be even better than she is now!! (unless she gets injured trying it, but hopefully that doesn't happen).

Puppylove

Rinkside
Oooohh, both this and the bit about Mao wanting to go for 4T really bring out the feminist in me. :laugh:

Despite the concerns expressed by some people re: FS regressing & not a sport anymore blah blah blah, the girls are at least talking about really going for it, whether or not it really happens.

Men? Huh. With many of them I'm not sure if I would actually want them to go for it, considering the utter splatfest that is likely to ensue, judging from the Olys. :unsure:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Most of the time when skaters or their team talk future plans for that skating landing some crazy jump, it never comes to fruition. Well, really, in fact, I can't think of a single case where talk translated to reality. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a 3axel from Yu Na. I'd be perfectly happy if she can start doing the 3loop again (without injuring herself, of course). And she might need the 3loop if she keeps competing. There's a chance the ISU will limit the number of 2axels in the LP to 2.

sunrock

Rinkside
And most often, when fans of a skater hear talks from the rival's camp, they like to doubt the opposing party. Just sayin'.

I don't care if Yuna goes for a 3A or not. I don't care if it's Brian merely voicing his fantasies or if it will ever come to fruition. What is annoying is when fans get overly confident that Yuna will do it without anything to really back up their statements or when rival fans project their fears by saying it's impossible and Brian is talking out of his butt.

Why not let Yuna rest for a little bit with that Olympic gold medal weighing down her neck before we dissect what will or will not happen months from now?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And most often, when fans of a skater hear talks from the rival's camp, they like to doubt the opposing party. Just sayin'.

I don't care if Yuna goes for a 3A or not. I don't care if it's Brian merely voicing his fantasies or if it will ever come to fruition. What is annoying is when fans get overly confident that Yuna will do it without anything to really back up their statements or when rival fans project their fears by saying it's impossible and Brian is talking out of his butt.

Why not let Yuna rest for a little bit with that Olympic gold medal weighing down her neck before we dissect what will or will not happen months from now?

As far as I know Desert Road isn't really a uber of Mao's. I think DR is just skeptical. Which is a good thing.
I think people are talking about it because ultimately we want her to do it. I think that Orser knows that 3 2Ax is a bit much and that he's goign to have to have his skater take the next step if she is going to stay competitive.

sunrock

Rinkside
I never mentioned Mao or even meant to imply her. A rival for Yuna is anyone who is not her. Just like a rival for Carolina Kostner is anyone who is not her.

Don't worry, I'm not on the Yuna worship train just because I'm Korean. I always make my Korean friends question whether I'm Korean at heart with my comments. :laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well unless he's trying to sike Yu-na's competitors out, I don't think Brian would mention the 3axel, if he didn't think Yu-na was capable of doing it. I remember a couple of years ago in an interview, Brian mentioned that Yu-na first went to him to learn the 3axel, and that learning the 3axel was actually going fairly well, because she was fully rotating it. But than there were all kinds of injuries that summer happening, so they decided to hold off on it for awhile. Its possible they were working on it for a bit later on. And then they realized the direction Mao's skating was going in so they felt that they didn't need it.

However, I actually sort of agree with Orser about the idea of the 3axel being a good idea. Mao may or not get a 4toe (we'll see just like we'll see about Yu-na getting the 3axel) but Mao could get her 3lutz back, and those 3/3s back. And then Yu-na will be at a disadvantage. Plus, there are people like Nagasu who has better spins/spirals than Yu-na who are getting better. So I think the idea of the 3axel is a good one. As long as they are careful about injuries.

(Great way though to sike her competitors out if Brian's joking)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well unless he's trying to sike Yu-na's competitors out, I don't think Brian would mention the 3axel, if he didn't think Yu-na was capable of doing it. I remember a couple of years ago in an interview, Brian mentioned that Yu-na first went to him to learn the 3axel, and that learning the 3axel was actually going fairly well, because she was fully rotating it. But than there were all kinds of injuries that summer happening, so they decided to hold off on it for awhile. Its possible they were working on it for a bit later on. And then they realized the direction Mao's skating was going in so they felt that they didn't need it.

However, I actually sort of agree with Orser about the idea of the 3axel being a good idea. Mao may or not get a 4toe (we'll see just like we'll see about Yu-na getting the 3axel) but Mao could get her 3lutz back, and those 3/3s back. And then Yu-na will be at a disadvantage. Plus, there are people like Nagasu who has better spins/spirals than Yu-na who are getting better. So I think the idea of the 3axel is a good one. As long as they are careful about injuries.

(Great way though to sike her competitors out if Brian's joking)

Nice points! I think Mao will work to get her 3/3 and Lutz back, especially since she saw the risk of not having either. And I agree with the earlier post that Yuna needs the 3L too.

I think Yuna can do it. She is well trained and Orser seems to have a sixth sense of her abilities and how to train for new jumps and the such.

Of course this all depends on how long Yuna wants to compete....

DesertRoad

Final Flight

I won't bother to address the specious accusations about my fandom. What does that have to do with anything? Argue the point, not the poster. Do you have any examples where a skater or a coaching team talks about training the most difficult jump/combination that's not in the skater's current repertoire, and having that actually happen in a competition? Enough to balance out all the cases where it fizzled?

I also question whether skaters can learn a whole new jump at 19. I wouldn't hold my breath on Yu Na ever landing a 3axel in competition.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
One question. Why?

yu-na has gotten record scores repeatedly for programs with mistakes. When she skates clean she is unbeatable. Why not add another 3/3 if he wants to boost her scores. The triple axel is an injury risk and she does not need it.

That said, if she can skate with her usual artistry and land all her jumps and a triple axel...she will go down as the greatest ladies skater ever. Ever.

amateur

Final Flight
It could also be a case of telling the media what it wants to hear:

"What can Yu-Na work toward in the future as she keeps training (and striving for new achievements and world records?)"

-"Oh, nothing really"

....kinda kills the buzz surrounding their new, young champion.
Given the high profile of the triple axel in this event due to Mao's brave efforts, and this being the only thing that potentially theatened YuNa's win other than her own nerves... it makes sense for Brian to acknowledge it as a next step, whether or not the intent is serious, or hypothetical, or uncertain.

miki88

Medalist
I just thought of something funny.If somehow Yuna masters the 3A and Mao stops doing the 3A (because her body won't ler her anymore) but instead she gets back her 3-3 and lutz and then they rematch and Mao beats Yuna who now has a 3A. Imagine the irony:laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I also question whether skaters can learn a whole new jump at 19. I wouldn't hold my breath on Yu Na ever landing a 3axel in competition.

I'm not holding my breath either. BUT, Midori didn't land a triple axel in competition until she was 19, I believe. And Tonya didn't land the 3axel until she was 21. Now they were working on it when they were younger, but who knows for really how long it took them to master it.

Yu-na IS a really talented jumper with great technique, and she gets a lot of speed and height in her jumps, so I wouldn't count her out as incapable of getting it. Some though think that maybe what she should go for is the quad. Yu-na's 3toe technique is a lot better than Mao's, and she may be more likely to master a 4toe than Mao. However, they could fear it would mess up her 3/3s...?

As for her being unbeatable now, yes she is. But a lot of girls are starting to work on mastering those 3/3s especially the young Russians (and who knows with Mirai) Improving technically is the best way to ensure Yu-na stays on top.

Putting the 3loop back in her programs will only net her 1.5 more points in base value. Another 3/3 will get her nothing base value points, unless its a something like a 3lutz/3loop and even that will only net her one more point. So really the 3axel would be the best bang for her time.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I'm not holding my breath either. BUT, Midori didn't land a triple axel in competition until she was 19, I believe. And Tonya didn't land the 3axel until she was 21. Now they were working on it when they were younger, but who knows for really how long it took them to master it.

I did not know that. I wonder how far Yu Na really got on learning the 3axel. Maybe she can do it. You mentioned Orser said she could rotate them, was she landing them, too?

Putting the 3loop back in her programs will only net her 1.5 more points in base value.

I mentioned the importance of the 3loop in regard to the possibility that the ISU may limit the number of 2axels. If they only allow 2 double axels in the LP, Yu Na's maximum potential points for jumps will go down by 3.5. The only alternative is for her to learn another triple, and the 3loop may be more feasible than the 3axel.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I mentioned the importance of the 3loop in regard to the possibility that the ISU may limit the number of 2axels. If they only allow 2 double axels in the LP, Yu Na's maximum potential points for jumps will go down by 3.5. The only alternative is for her to learn another triple, and the 3loop may be more feasible than the 3axel.

There are clips of her practicing the 3loop so I'm sure they are prepared already for if she'd need it.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
There are clips of her practicing the 3loop so I'm sure they are prepared already for if she'd need it.

Do want to see clips. Please to link.

Brian Orser said:
"I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

Well, that makes it sound a lot less serious. We should probably not read too much into it.

Last edited:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Nothing is for sure yet, but I also would think, that the most logical step for her is to put 2 3-3 combinations, or some other types of combination like 3-2-2. However Brian must know better. What I'm sure about is that if she will try to learn 3A they won't push it too hard, because Yuna's health is the top priority for them, so there is nothing to worry about...