Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

prettykeys

Medalist
One question. Why?

yu-na has gotten record scores repeatedly for programs with mistakes. When she skates clean she is unbeatable. Why not add another 3/3 if he wants to boost her scores. The triple axel is an injury risk and she does not need it.

That said, if she can skate with her usual artistry and land all her jumps and a triple axel...she will go down as the greatest ladies skater ever. Ever.
I think you just answered your own question. ;)

DesertRoad and bekalc both provide some of the best comments! Also, YuNa may not even need to work on the 3Loop (although she might as well, I don't think it needs a lot of fixing, just work to make it more consistent.) She may just use the 3A to replace one of her 2A's.

It's a really exciting thought, and I don't think Orser is just joking about it. But, will YuNa be down for it? Does she really want to put in all the work and risk injury and pain to learn it? And she does deserve a break.

An alternative is that she can stick with her current technical arsenal and work on her artistry, like what Michelle Kwan did...but the other idea is more exciting for sure! :biggrin:

bibi24

Final Flight
Yuna can do a 2A off ice like it's nothing.... can hardly imagine how amazing her 3A might be :)

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think Yu-Na's chance on a successful 3A are MUCH better now than they were 3 years ago. She is skating much faster, so her jumps are higher, using the 2A so much and with difficult transitions into it have created a good balance for the muscle memory for the airposition. Even if she doesn't have it, she still is great. The only worst case scenarios I could think of are injury, or too much focus on the 3A messing up her timing on the 2A, which would be very bad considering she uses the jump 4 times between the LP and SP.

An interesting question (in my book): if both Yu-Na and Mao both do 3A's, how will it affect other female skaters, and would the ISU consider changing the SP rules so that ladies could do either a 2A or a 3A. With only Mao doing it, there is not much sense in re-writing the rule for one skater, but if more than one is successfully completing it, then it starts making sense to change it.

Yu-Na jump layout with a 3A could be something like....
3Lz+3T
3A
3F
2A+3T
3Lz
3S
2A+2A SEQ

miki88

Medalist
I think Yu-Na's chance on a successful 3A are MUCH better now than they were 3 years ago. She is skating much faster, so her jumps are higher, using the 2A so much and with difficult transitions into it have created a good balance for the muscle memory for the airposition. Even if she doesn't have it, she still is great. The only worst case scenarios I could think of are injury, or too much focus on the 3A messing up her timing on the 2A, which would be very bad considering she uses the jump 4 times between the LP and SP.

An interesting question (in my book): if both Yu-Na and Mao both do 3A's, how will it affect other female skaters, and would the ISU consider changing the SP rules so that ladies could do either a 2A or a 3A. With only Mao doing it, there is not much sense in re-writing the rule for one skater, but if more than one is successfully completing it, then it starts making sense to change it.

Yu-Na jump layout with a 3A could be something like....
3Lz+3T
3A
3F
2A+3T
3Lz
3S
2A+2A SEQ

Maybe. But I so forsee the controversy brewing if that happens. Because it will be like oh Mao had to endure under the harsh rules before but now Yuna does it too, the rules suddenly change. I hope that rule changes regardless of who else attempts the jump.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Mao might try and master the quad toe-loop,
Yuna might try and master the triple-axel.

Before Mao goes for the quad, she's more likely to master the lutz and get her 3-3's back.
Before Yuna goes for the triple-axel, she's more likely to master the loop. And fix her positions in spirals and spins. And try putting in two 3-3's rather than one.

But we'll see....

You go girls!!! :rock::rock:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I would be pretty psyched if Yu-na did learn it, but I want her to get the triple salchow and loop back before learning this ;D And in the meantime, I'm sure Orser's going to be drilling Yu-na on spins and stretches, which, let's admit it, are good but aren't amazing; Mirai and Mao both are better at this. If Yu-na wants to stay at the top of the game, she needs to get the stretches and spins down pat, get all the triples in before learning the axel. But if there's anyone that could pull off a WOW axel... it's Yu-na. I mean, she has the speed and height already, ne? And the willpower, I'm sure.

How does Yu-na need her 3sal back? When she's already doing it in competition. She hasn't missed a3sal this season??? But as for her spins/spirals, I'm sure she'll work on her stretch a little bit, but really she's never going to be a Mirai. Besides some think ultra flexibility is bad for the jumps. The 3A would be the smartest place technically for her to improve on.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I would be pretty psyched if Yu-na did learn it, but I want her to get the triple salchow and loop back before learning this ;D And in the meantime, I'm sure Orser's going to be drilling Yu-na on spins and stretches, which, let's admit it, are good but aren't amazing; Mirai and Mao both are better at this. If Yu-na wants to stay at the top of the game, she needs to get the stretches and spins down pat, get all the triples in before learning the axel. But if there's anyone that could pull off a WOW axel... it's Yu-na. I mean, she has the speed and height already, ne? And the willpower, I'm sure.

when did Yuna lose her salchow????? she just did it three days ago in the second half of her program for the fourth time this season (out of four competitions) :unsure:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
How does Yu-na need her 3sal back? When she's already doing it in competition. She hasn't missed a3sal this season??? But as for her spins/spirals, I'm sure she'll work on her stretch a little bit, but really she's never going to be a Mirai. Besides some think ultra flexibility is bad for the jumps. The 3A would be the smartest place technically for her to improve on.

You beat me to it! She missed it once in her entire carreer (that I can remember, correct me if I am wrong) for crying out loud!

prettykeys

Medalist
Sorry guys, I tried to look for the link to the .gif that was posted at Golden Skate showing YuNa's attempted 3Axel (in the 2009-2010 season Archives...don't remember where to look for it. :frown:) I don't think it was fully rotated, but it was a beauty--she sailed through the air and was something like 120 degrees short.

ETA: I'm so FACKING good!

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=figureskating&no=183874&page=30

Did a search at the YNK forum. :rock:

Last edited:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Sorry guys, I tried to look for the link to the .gif that was posted at Golden Skate showing YuNa's attempted 3Axel (in the 2009-2010 season Archives...don't remember where to look for it. :frown:) I don't think it was fully rotated, but it was a beauty--she sailed through the air and was something like 20 degrees short.

I remember seeing it. Was it on yunaforum though?

ryoko

Rinkside
orser wants to teach baby yuna!

Just saw the news-
Orser says she was impressed by min-jung, and would love to teach her if there is a chance.
Oh I really hope this happens! Min-jung, despite of lack of speed and choreography, has some wonderful qualities and training under Orser will totally turn her into something special.
Min-jung and Yuna went to same highschool. Since Yuna is her idol and she has been granting scholarship to Min-jung, it will be lovely to see two of them train together. :love:

Nadia01

Final Flight

You're mixing Yuna & Mao there.

Yuna has 3S. Mao does not.

Yuna doesn't have 3Lo. Mao does tho.

So the only 3L Yuna doesn't have (in competition; practice doesn't count) is 3Lo.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Just saw the news-
Orser says she was impressed by min-jung, and would love to teach her if there is a chance.
Oh I really hope this happens! Min-jung, despite of lack of speed and choreography, has some wonderful qualities and training under Orser will totally turn her into something special.
Min-jung and Yuna went to same highschool. Since Yuna is her idol and she has been granting scholarship to Min-jung, it will be lovely to see two of them train together. :love:

I hope that's true!

It'll be so good for Min-Jung to train with her idol. Imagine how motivating that must be. :)

ryoko

Rinkside
I hope that's true!

It'll be so good for Min-Jung to train with her idol. Imagine how motivating that must be. :)

I just find Min-jung SO ADORABLE :love:
After SP her score came out she was ranked number 2, and had brief interview with korean reporters. At the end of the interview she asked the reporter, "Am I going into the freeskate??" LOL. And the reporter was like... why are you asking me LOL. She is so cute!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just saw the news-

Ahh, this makes me excited :love: . Yes, her skating is a bit slow and her footwork is not the most difficult but she can jump, spin, bend herself like a rubber band and has limbs that go on for days. Plus she's improved so much just since this fall even - I watched her performances from Jr. Worlds last year and JGP Lake Placid this fall on icenetwork and she is so much better now! With a good coach I think she could really go places - I mean, when I watched Christina Gao at nationals last year I didn't think she was anything special, she could jump but she fell a lot and was awkward, but now, since going to Orser, she's turned into a rising star! And Mirai for that matter too - last year she was pretty much a mess, but now that she's been with Frank Carroll she just keeps improving at a rapid pace and is one of the best skaters in the world! I hope that works out for Min-Jung, she is soo cute! :agree:

Nadia01

Final Flight
I just find Min-jung SO ADORABLE :love:
After SP her score came out she was ranked number 2, and had brief interview with korean reporters. At the end of the interview she asked the reporter, "Am I going into the freeskate??" LOL. And the reporter was like... why are you asking me LOL. She is so cute!

What I love the most about her is that she really skated her heart out, and it's obvious she's a very sweet girl. I hope she toughens up (mental game) a little bit because I think she's gonna need it as she rises to the top.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Just saw the news-

That would be great!!! I'd LOVE for him to coach Haejin Kim as well (the 12 year old girl that placed 1st above Min-jung at Korean Nats this year). Now THAT would definitely be a trio who could sweep the 2014 Oly's. Imagine how crazy that would be... going from one Olympics to having the first South Korean medalist ever to the next and having a sweep O_O

ryoko

Rinkside
That would be great!!! I'd LOVE for him to coach Haejin Kim as well (the 12 year old girl that placed 1st above Min-jung at Korean Nats this year). Now THAT would definitely be a trio who could sweep the 2014 Oly's. Imagine how crazy that would be... going from one Olympics to having the first South Korean medalist ever to the next and having a sweep O_O

Don't forget about Russian Trio! I can never spell their names though.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Do want to see clips. Please to link.

Links to Yuna landing the loop:

Here's a link to a recent practice with the 3Lo (around 4:10):

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010...figure-skating.html?scp=1&sq=yu-na kim&st=cse

And in competition at the 07 GP Russia, less than 2 and a half years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyvLuzyJSk

She was already getting around 73 points technical score and 10 points in GOE back then. I guess 78 at the Olys is not too far off after all.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus07/gprus07_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Last edited: