Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

bekalc

Record Breaker
Nothing is for sure yet, but I also would think, that the most logical step for her is to put 2 3-3 combinations, or some other types of combination like 3-2-2. However Brian must know better. What I'm sure about is that if she will try to learn 3A they won't push it too hard, because Yuna's health is the top priority for them, so there is nothing to worry about...

She's done 3-2-2 most of her career. She can do them easily she just does the 2axel/2toe/2loop because she switched to the 3lutz/3toe. The thing is that 2 3/3s in the long won't change her base value, so its not worth it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She's done 3-2-2 most of her career. She can do them easily she just does the 2axel/2toe/2loop because she switched to the 3lutz/3toe. The thing is that 2 3/3s in the long won't change her base value, so its not worth it.

How about a 3-3-2? Jeremy Abbott does what I believe is a 3Lz-3T-2L which is worth 11.5 points. And he does it in the second half so it goes up to 12.65. That's a lot of points. I think Yuna could do it!

ETA: I realize that under the current rules, in order to do that combo, she would have to eliminate her 2A-3T and her single triple lutz. With the lutz at 6.6 points and the combo at 7.5 it wouldn't be worth it.

If she got back the 3L, maybe. Here's a proposed jump layout

3Z-3T or 3Z-3L
3F
2A-3L (can you realistically do this combo? if not do a 2A - 3L sequence) or 2A-3T
2A-2T-2L
3S
3Z-3T-2L
2A

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Well, that makes it sound a lot less serious. We should probably not read too much into it.

I'm with DesertRoad on this one. Until Brian himself reiterates his statement about the triple axel and Yu-Na herself acknowledges it, I'll consider it's not serious...yet. :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Midori didn't land a triple axel in competition until she was 19, I believe. And Tonya didn't land the 3axel until she was 21. Now they were working on it when they were younger, but who knows for really how long it took them to master it.
Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?

bekalc

Record Breaker
How about a 3-3-2? Jeremy Abbott does what I believe is a 3Lz-3T-2L which is worth 11.5 points. And he does it in the second half so it goes up to 12.65. That's a lot of points. I think Yuna could do it!

It would get her no new points because she wouldn't be able to do her 2axel/2toe/2loop. The system is sucky when it comes to combinations.

Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?

Well who knows how long she was practicing the jump, but I'm figuring that she probably didn't have it cosistent enough to try it in competition until 1989, otherwise she'd have tried it in the 1988 Olympics, don't you think. But the question is how many years did it take her and Tonya to master it, and how long were they landing it in practice before they did it in competition....

Last edited:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
bekalc
I know, I just said that for me it seemed more logical to continue trying new combinations (3-3-2 too) than learning 3A. It looks like she already landed it some years ago, but abandoned it because of the risk of the injury. I'm still not sure, because Mao was struggling so much with that jump... It's the hardest jump of all and Yuna doesn't really need it. Of course, it would be amazing to see 3A from her.

It would get her no new points because she wouldn't be able to do her 2axel/2toe/2loop. The system is sucky when it comes to combinations.
I agree. By the way, I'm not sure, but wouldn't she get some points at least? Like for skating skills or something like this? it just seems surreal that there is no points at all for hard combinations...

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
bekalc

I know, I just said that for me it seemed more logical to continue trying new combinations (3-3-2 too) than learning 3A. It looks like she already landed it some years ago, but abandoned it because of the risk of the injury. I'm still not sure, because Mao was struggling so much with that jump... It's the hardest jump of all and Yuna doesn't really need it. Of course, it would be amazing to see 3A from her.

I'm just not seeing the logic of new combinations that won't get her more points. a 3/3/3 would be amazing, but that will get her no new points. A 3lutz/3loop would be good but the loop is her issue jump and that doesn't merit her much points still... If she wants to improve technically the 3axel (or the quad) and really probably the 3axel is absolutely the place she would go. Orser's right about it, and I'm not sure why that's a joke. What's funny about the 3axel, its an amazing jump. His other quote about how they practiced it earlier and he believes she can do it sounds pretty serious.

The goal would be to keep the combinations she has double axel/3toe, 3lutz/3toe (and practicing the 3flip/3toe) while adding in the 3axel. The only concern really would be injuries.

Yes Yu-na doesn't need the 3axel right now, but she could need it in the future. There are youngsters like Mirai nipping at her heels, so to speak. Getting the 3axel would put her one step ahead of them. Its smart. Now of course we have to see the jump before we know she can do it. But I think working on the 3axel and trying to get it would be the best way to ensure she stays on top.

And of course the jump is difficult. The main thing though would be to learn from Mao and not let the 3axel get in the way of her other jumps, or the rest of her skating. Yu-na is helped by the fact that her technique on the other jumps is a lot better than Maos.

One thing I think Yu-na could do to improve would be to work on her footwork, so that she could maybe get level 4.

Yu-na already has won everything. So she has in a lot of ways nothing to lose.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker

Well who knows how long she was practicing the jump, but I'm figuring that she probably didn't have it cosistent enough to try it in competition until 1989, otherwise she'd have tried it in the 1988 Olympics, don't you think. But the question is how many years did it take her and Tonya to master it, and how long were they landing it in practice before they did it in competition....

I kind of read that she had broken her leg or something and stopped practicing.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
bekalc
Thank you for explanation. For me Brian talking about 3A is not a joke at all, of course.
One thing I think Yu-na could do to improve would be to work on her footwork, so that she could maybe get level 4.
There is always something to improve and she knows it. If she decides to stay for another season, she will improve something for sure.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I kind of read that she had broken her leg or something and stopped practicing.

Yes I remember she was having some big time injuries that summer. Which is my biggest concern with her doing the 3axel. But now that she's done growing, maybe it could be okay. (And if they are careful). She's won everything already so I think in someways she has less to lose now than she did before. We will see. As for Orser, "milking Yu-na" of course the man doesn't want his star student to retire in her prime.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yes I remember she was having some big time injuries that summer. Which is my biggest concern with her doing the 3axel. But now that she's done growing, maybe it could be okay. (And if they are careful). She's won everything already so I think in someways she has less to lose now than she did before. We will see. As for Orser, "milking Yu-na" of course the man doesn't want his star student to retire in her prime.

I was talking about Midori, actually.
As for Yuna, she sounds healthy lately.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think one advantage with Yuna is that I feel like Orser has been very good about sensing Yuna's abilities and not overworking her. I think is an opportunity here for her to advance the sport now that she does not have the pressure of getting an OGM. And who wouldn't want to see another Mao vs. Yuna matchup? Sign me up, please.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Orser's right about it, and I'm not sure why that's a joke. What's funny about the 3axel, its an amazing jump.

Here's what Orser said, according to Reuters: "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

He was joking. It doesn't mean they won't actually do it, but this isn't an announcement nor is it serious, unless Orser is in the habit of announcing a major strategy and goal to the press before he talks it over with the skater he's coaching.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here's what Orser said, according to Reuters: "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

He was joking. It doesn't mean they won't actually do it, but this isn't an announcement nor is it serious, unless Orser is in the habit of announcing a major strategy and goal to the press before he talks it over with the skater he's coaching.

You're probably right. But I think there's a bit of truth in humor. I mean besides bringing back the 3L and getting level 4 footwork, what else can Yuna work on?

miki88

Medalist
Maintaining the high level of all her jumps? I mean she won't always be in her prime condition as she gets older and she may also be more likely to get injured. Michelle Kwan had to work really hard to maintain at a high level once she was in her 20s.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maintaining the high level of all her jumps? I mean she won't always be in her prime condition as she gets older and she may also be more likely to get injured. Michelle Kwan had to work really hard to maintain at a high level once she was in her 20s.

Sure. I guess I would assume that would be part of the effort. But if she wanted to push the sport further or leave a bigger legacy behind, I'm just curious what she could do to ensure that.

bekalc

Record Breaker

But read for another quote which is this:
Kim broke her own world record with a combined 228.56 points in the women’s figure skating competition in Vancouver. Nevertheless, Orser seems to want more. “If she wants to raise her score, she needs a triple axel. Though she is an Olympic champion now, she has room for further improvement,” he said.

He also mentioned the conditions needed for doing a triple axel. “If she’s free from any pain in her ankles, knees and hips, she can practice with time. I really want to see her do a triple axel.”

Kim did not attempt a triple axel either in practice or in competition this season. “For now, the triple jump is the most important technique, but I believe Yu-na could easily learn the triple axel,” Orser said.
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2010030207658

It seems to me maybe he's saying this to convince Yu-na to stay. Or to issue a challenge to the other ladies too. But I don't get think what he's saying is a joke. And honestly I think some kind of challenge would be good for Yu-na. She's won everything, she's done 3/3s. So why not encourage her to reach a new level technically and be one of the few ladies in the history of the sport to do that jump...Its the logical next step, if she wants to improve her score.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
Mao might try and master the quad toe-loop,
Yuna might try and master the triple-axel.

Before Mao goes for the quad, she's more likely to master the lutz and get her 3-3's back.
Before Yuna goes for the triple-axel, she's more likely to master the loop. And fix her positions in spirals and spins. And try putting in two 3-3's rather than one.

But we'll see....

Lilith11

On the Ice
I would be pretty psyched if Yu-na did learn it, but I want her to get the triple salchow and loop back before learning this ;D And in the meantime, I'm sure Orser's going to be drilling Yu-na on spins and stretches, which, let's admit it, are good but aren't amazing; Mirai and Mao both are better at this. If Yu-na wants to stay at the top of the game, she needs to get the stretches and spins down pat, get all the triples in before learning the axel. But if there's anyone that could pull off a WOW axel... it's Yu-na. I mean, she has the speed and height already, ne? And the willpower, I'm sure.