Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I'm not holding my breath either. BUT, Midori didn't land a triple axel in competition until she was 19, I believe. And Tonya didn't land the 3axel until she was 21. Now they were working on it when they were younger, but who knows for really how long it took them to master it.
    I did not know that. I wonder how far Yu Na really got on learning the 3axel. Maybe she can do it. You mentioned Orser said she could rotate them, was she landing them, too?

Putting the 3loop back in her programs will only net her 1.5 more points in base value.
    I mentioned the importance of the 3loop in regard to the possibility that the ISU may limit the number of 2axels. If they only allow 2 double axels in the LP, Yu Na's maximum potential points for jumps will go down by 3.5. The only alternative is for her to learn another triple, and the 3loop may be more feasible than the 3axel.

I mentioned the importance of the 3loop in regard to the possibility that the ISU may limit the number of 2axels. If they only allow 2 double axels in the LP, Yu Na's maximum potential points for jumps will go down by 3.5. The only alternative is for her to learn another triple, and the 3loop may be more feasible than the 3axel.
    There are clips of her practicing the 3loop so I'm sure they are prepared already for if she'd need it.

Here is a news article in English that mentions Orser talking about 3A:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61Q1H020100227

Quote:

For now, she plans to defend her world title in Turin next month and Orser also hopes she will stick around for a while as he wants her to learn some more tricks.

"I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    There are clips of her practicing the 3loop so I'm sure they are prepared already for if she'd need it.
    Do want to see clips. Please to link.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Orser
    "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.
    Well, that makes it sound a lot less serious. We should probably not read too much into it.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 03-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Custom Title
    Nothing is for sure yet, but I also would think, that the most logical step for her is to put 2 3-3 combinations, or some other types of combination like 3-2-2. However Brian must know better. What I'm sure about is that if she will try to learn 3A they won't push it too hard, because Yuna's health is the top priority for them, so there is nothing to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    Nothing is for sure yet, but I also would think, that the most logical step for her is to put 2 3-3 combinations, or some other types of combination like 3-2-2. However Brian must know better. What I'm sure about is that if she will try to learn 3A they won't push it too hard, because Yuna's health is the top priority for them, so there is nothing to worry about...
    She's done 3-2-2 most of her career. She can do them easily she just does the 2axel/2toe/2loop because she switched to the 3lutz/3toe. The thing is that 2 3/3s in the long won't change her base value, so its not worth it.

She's done 3-2-2 most of her career. She can do them easily she just does the 2axel/2toe/2loop because she switched to the 3lutz/3toe. The thing is that 2 3/3s in the long won't change her base value, so its not worth it.
    How about a 3-3-2? Jeremy Abbott does what I believe is a 3Lz-3T-2L which is worth 11.5 points. And he does it in the second half so it goes up to 12.65. That's a lot of points. I think Yuna could do it!

ETA: I realize that under the current rules, in order to do that combo, she would have to eliminate her 2A-3T and her single triple lutz. With the lutz at 6.6 points and the combo at 7.5 it wouldn't be worth it.

If she got back the 3L, maybe. Here's a proposed jump layout

3Z-3T or 3Z-3L
    3F
    2A-3L (can you realistically do this combo? if not do a 2A - 3L sequence) or 2A-3T
    2A-2T-2L
    3S
    3Z-3T-2L
    2A
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-01-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Well, that makes it sound a lot less serious. We should probably not read too much into it.
    I'm with DesertRoad on this one. Until Brian himself reiterates his statement about the triple axel and Yu-Na herself acknowledges it, I'll consider it's not serious...yet.

Midori didn't land a triple axel in competition until she was 19, I believe. And Tonya didn't land the 3axel until she was 21. Now they were working on it when they were younger, but who knows for really how long it took them to master it.
    Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    How about a 3-3-2? Jeremy Abbott does what I believe is a 3Lz-3T-2L which is worth 11.5 points. And he does it in the second half so it goes up to 12.65. That's a lot of points. I think Yuna could do it!
    It would get her no new points because she wouldn't be able to do her 2axel/2toe/2loop. The system is sucky when it comes to combinations.

Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?
    Well who knows how long she was practicing the jump, but I'm figuring that she probably didn't have it cosistent enough to try it in competition until 1989, otherwise she'd have tried it in the 1988 Olympics, don't you think. But the question is how many years did it take her and Tonya to master it, and how long were they landing it in practice before they did it in competition....
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Custom Title
    bekalc
    I know, I just said that for me it seemed more logical to continue trying new combinations (3-3-2 too) than learning 3A. It looks like she already landed it some years ago, but abandoned it because of the risk of the injury. I'm still not sure, because Mao was struggling so much with that jump... It's the hardest jump of all and Yuna doesn't really need it. Of course, it would be amazing to see 3A from her.

It would get her no new points because she wouldn't be able to do her 2axel/2toe/2loop. The system is sucky when it comes to combinations.
    I agree. By the way, I'm not sure, but wouldn't she get some points at least? Like for skating skills or something like this? it just seems surreal that there is no points at all for hard combinations...
    Last edited by Daniel5555; 03-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Rinkside
    Sounds like Orser wanting to milk Yuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    bekalc

I know, I just said that for me it seemed more logical to continue trying new combinations (3-3-2 too) than learning 3A. It looks like she already landed it some years ago, but abandoned it because of the risk of the injury. I'm still not sure, because Mao was struggling so much with that jump... It's the hardest jump of all and Yuna doesn't really need it. Of course, it would be amazing to see 3A from her.
    I'm just not seeing the logic of new combinations that won't get her more points. a 3/3/3 would be amazing, but that will get her no new points. A 3lutz/3loop would be good but the loop is her issue jump and that doesn't merit her much points still... If she wants to improve technically the 3axel (or the quad) and really probably the 3axel is absolutely the place she would go. Orser's right about it, and I'm not sure why that's a joke. What's funny about the 3axel, its an amazing jump. His other quote about how they practiced it earlier and he believes she can do it sounds pretty serious.

The goal would be to keep the combinations she has double axel/3toe, 3lutz/3toe (and practicing the 3flip/3toe) while adding in the 3axel. The only concern really would be injuries.

Yes Yu-na doesn't need the 3axel right now, but she could need it in the future. There are youngsters like Mirai nipping at her heels, so to speak. Getting the 3axel would put her one step ahead of them. Its smart. Now of course we have to see the jump before we know she can do it. But I think working on the 3axel and trying to get it would be the best way to ensure she stays on top.

And of course the jump is difficult. The main thing though would be to learn from Mao and not let the 3axel get in the way of her other jumps, or the rest of her skating. Yu-na is helped by the fact that her technique on the other jumps is a lot better than Maos.

One thing I think Yu-na could do to improve would be to work on her footwork, so that she could maybe get level 4.

Yu-na already has won everything. So she has in a lot of ways nothing to lose.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-01-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Well who knows how long she was practicing the jump, but I'm figuring that she probably didn't have it cosistent enough to try it in competition until 1989, otherwise she'd have tried it in the 1988 Olympics, don't you think. But the question is how many years did it take her and Tonya to master it, and how long were they landing it in practice before they did it in competition....
    I kind of read that she had broken her leg or something and stopped practicing.

Custom Title
    bekalc
    Thank you for explanation. For me Brian talking about 3A is not a joke at all, of course.
    One thing I think Yu-na could do to improve would be to work on her footwork, so that she could maybe get level 4.
    There is always something to improve and she knows it. If she decides to stay for another season, she will improve something for sure.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast