Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 143

Thread: Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

  1. #31
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I kind of read that she had broken her leg or something and stopped practicing.
    Yes I remember she was having some big time injuries that summer. Which is my biggest concern with her doing the 3axel. But now that she's done growing, maybe it could be okay. (And if they are careful). She's won everything already so I think in someways she has less to lose now than she did before. We will see. As for Orser, "milking Yu-na" of course the man doesn't want his star student to retire in her prime.

  2. #32
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Yes I remember she was having some big time injuries that summer. Which is my biggest concern with her doing the 3axel. But now that she's done growing, maybe it could be okay. (And if they are careful). She's won everything already so I think in someways she has less to lose now than she did before. We will see. As for Orser, "milking Yu-na" of course the man doesn't want his star student to retire in her prime.
    I was talking about Midori, actually.
    As for Yuna, she sounds healthy lately.

  3. #33
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,425
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Yes I remember she was having some big time injuries that summer. Which is my biggest concern with her doing the 3axel. But now that she's done growing, maybe it could be okay. (And if they are careful). She's won everything already so I think in someways she has less to lose now than she did before. We will see. As for Orser, "milking Yu-na" of course the man doesn't want his star student to retire in her prime.
    I think one advantage with Yuna is that I feel like Orser has been very good about sensing Yuna's abilities and not overworking her. I think is an opportunity here for her to advance the sport now that she does not have the pressure of getting an OGM. And who wouldn't want to see another Mao vs. Yuna matchup? Sign me up, please.

  4. #34
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Orser's right about it, and I'm not sure why that's a joke. What's funny about the 3axel, its an amazing jump.
    Here's what Orser said, according to Reuters: "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

    He was joking. It doesn't mean they won't actually do it, but this isn't an announcement nor is it serious, unless Orser is in the habit of announcing a major strategy and goal to the press before he talks it over with the skater he's coaching.

  5. #35
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,425
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Here's what Orser said, according to Reuters: "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

    He was joking. It doesn't mean they won't actually do it, but this isn't an announcement nor is it serious, unless Orser is in the habit of announcing a major strategy and goal to the press before he talks it over with the skater he's coaching.
    You're probably right. But I think there's a bit of truth in humor. I mean besides bringing back the 3L and getting level 4 footwork, what else can Yuna work on?

  6. #36
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Maintaining the high level of all her jumps? I mean she won't always be in her prime condition as she gets older and she may also be more likely to get injured. Michelle Kwan had to work really hard to maintain at a high level once she was in her 20s.

  7. #37
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,425
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Maintaining the high level of all her jumps? I mean she won't always be in her prime condition as she gets older and she may also be more likely to get injured. Michelle Kwan had to work really hard to maintain at a high level once she was in her 20s.
    Sure. I guess I would assume that would be part of the effort. But if she wanted to push the sport further or leave a bigger legacy behind, I'm just curious what she could do to ensure that.

  8. #38
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Here's what Orser said, according to Reuters: "I'd love her to learn the triple Axel, that would be pretty sweet. But I haven't told her that yet," he conspired.

    He was joking. It doesn't mean they won't actually do it, but this isn't an announcement nor is it serious, unless Orser is in the habit of announcing a major strategy and goal to the press before he talks it over with the skater he's coaching.
    But read for another quote which is this:
    Kim broke her own world record with a combined 228.56 points in the women’s figure skating competition in Vancouver. Nevertheless, Orser seems to want more. “If she wants to raise her score, she needs a triple axel. Though she is an Olympic champion now, she has room for further improvement,” he said.


    He also mentioned the conditions needed for doing a triple axel. “If she’s free from any pain in her ankles, knees and hips, she can practice with time. I really want to see her do a triple axel.”


    Kim did not attempt a triple axel either in practice or in competition this season. “For now, the triple jump is the most important technique, but I believe Yu-na could easily learn the triple axel,” Orser said.
    http://english.donga.com/srv/service...=2010030207658

    It seems to me maybe he's saying this to convince Yu-na to stay. Or to issue a challenge to the other ladies too. But I don't get think what he's saying is a joke. And honestly I think some kind of challenge would be good for Yu-na. She's won everything, she's done 3/3s. So why not encourage her to reach a new level technically and be one of the few ladies in the history of the sport to do that jump...Its the logical next step, if she wants to improve her score.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.

  9. #39
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,142
    Mao might try and master the quad toe-loop,
    Yuna might try and master the triple-axel.

    Before Mao goes for the quad, she's more likely to master the lutz and get her 3-3's back.
    Before Yuna goes for the triple-axel, she's more likely to master the loop. And fix her positions in spirals and spins. And try putting in two 3-3's rather than one.

    But we'll see....

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    I would be pretty psyched if Yu-na did learn it, but I want her to get the triple salchow and loop back before learning this ;D And in the meantime, I'm sure Orser's going to be drilling Yu-na on spins and stretches, which, let's admit it, are good but aren't amazing; Mirai and Mao both are better at this. If Yu-na wants to stay at the top of the game, she needs to get the stretches and spins down pat, get all the triples in before learning the axel. But if there's anyone that could pull off a WOW axel... it's Yu-na. I mean, she has the speed and height already, ne? And the willpower, I'm sure.

  11. #41
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    One question. Why?

    yu-na has gotten record scores repeatedly for programs with mistakes. When she skates clean she is unbeatable. Why not add another 3/3 if he wants to boost her scores. The triple axel is an injury risk and she does not need it.

    That said, if she can skate with her usual artistry and land all her jumps and a triple axel...she will go down as the greatest ladies skater ever. Ever.
    I think you just answered your own question.

    DesertRoad and bekalc both provide some of the best comments! Also, YuNa may not even need to work on the 3Loop (although she might as well, I don't think it needs a lot of fixing, just work to make it more consistent.) She may just use the 3A to replace one of her 2A's.

    It's a really exciting thought, and I don't think Orser is just joking about it. But, will YuNa be down for it? Does she really want to put in all the work and risk injury and pain to learn it? And she does deserve a break.

    An alternative is that she can stick with her current technical arsenal and work on her artistry, like what Michelle Kwan did...but the other idea is more exciting for sure!

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    626
    Yuna can do a 2A off ice like it's nothing.... can hardly imagine how amazing her 3A might be :-)

  13. #43
    it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC; Tokyo
    Posts
    495
    I think Yu-Na's chance on a successful 3A are MUCH better now than they were 3 years ago. She is skating much faster, so her jumps are higher, using the 2A so much and with difficult transitions into it have created a good balance for the muscle memory for the airposition. Even if she doesn't have it, she still is great. The only worst case scenarios I could think of are injury, or too much focus on the 3A messing up her timing on the 2A, which would be very bad considering she uses the jump 4 times between the LP and SP.

    An interesting question (in my book): if both Yu-Na and Mao both do 3A's, how will it affect other female skaters, and would the ISU consider changing the SP rules so that ladies could do either a 2A or a 3A. With only Mao doing it, there is not much sense in re-writing the rule for one skater, but if more than one is successfully completing it, then it starts making sense to change it.

    Yu-Na jump layout with a 3A could be something like....
    3Lz+3T
    3A
    3F
    2A+3T
    3Lz
    3S
    2A+2A SEQ

  14. #44
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    I think Yu-Na's chance on a successful 3A are MUCH better now than they were 3 years ago. She is skating much faster, so her jumps are higher, using the 2A so much and with difficult transitions into it have created a good balance for the muscle memory for the airposition. Even if she doesn't have it, she still is great. The only worst case scenarios I could think of are injury, or too much focus on the 3A messing up her timing on the 2A, which would be very bad considering she uses the jump 4 times between the LP and SP.

    An interesting question (in my book): if both Yu-Na and Mao both do 3A's, how will it affect other female skaters, and would the ISU consider changing the SP rules so that ladies could do either a 2A or a 3A. With only Mao doing it, there is not much sense in re-writing the rule for one skater, but if more than one is successfully completing it, then it starts making sense to change it.

    Yu-Na jump layout with a 3A could be something like....
    3Lz+3T
    3A
    3F
    2A+3T
    3Lz
    3S
    2A+2A SEQ
    Maybe. But I so forsee the controversy brewing if that happens. Because it will be like oh Mao had to endure under the harsh rules before but now Yuna does it too, the rules suddenly change. I hope that rule changes regardless of who else attempts the jump.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Mao might try and master the quad toe-loop,
    Yuna might try and master the triple-axel.

    Before Mao goes for the quad, she's more likely to master the lutz and get her 3-3's back.
    Before Yuna goes for the triple-axel, she's more likely to master the loop. And fix her positions in spirals and spins. And try putting in two 3-3's rather than one.

    But we'll see....
    You go girls!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •