Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Sorry guys, I tried to look for the link to the .gif that was posted at Golden Skate showing YuNa's attempted 3Axel (in the 2009-2010 season Archives...don't remember where to look for it. :frown:) I don't think it was fully rotated, but it was a beauty--she sailed through the air and was something like 20 degrees short.

ETA: I'm so FACKING good!

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=figureskating&no=183874&page=30

Did a search at the YNK forum. :rock:

Thank prettykeys! That was amazing :love: although, to be honest, I do not want to get my hopes up. I hope this 3A talk won't put additional pressure on Yuna. But I would looooooove to see that beauty in competition!

enlight78

Medalist
maybe if both yu-na and mao have a 3A they will have to change the rules ladies having to do a 2A in the short; but then mao and Yu-na should might as well compete with the men.

ks777

Record Breaker
Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?

She was landing 3axels in exhibitions when she was 14yo but she never put it until later probably because she broke her foot around when she was 15-16yo practicing a quad toe. She really didn't need it because you couldn't win with just jumps back then.. you had to have a good school figure skills.

DesertRoad

Final Flight

She really didn't get the rotations done there. Long way from the real thing.

Links to Yuna landing the loop:

Here's a link to a recent practice with the 3Lo (around 4:10):

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010...figure-skating.html?scp=1&sq=yu-na kim&st=cse

\o/ Yay! Her 3loop looks strong and perfect there. Not that she ever lost the technique to do it, just that it was hurting her physically, right? It's not that she even needs the loop. It's only 1.5 points more then the double axel. But like I said, if they ever change the rules and limit the number of double axels, then a 3loop would significantly boost her points.

There are other ways for Yu Na to challenge herself on the ice besides doing more difficult jumps. She can always try to do more difficult footwork, learn a new spiral, try some new spin positions, etc. And my personal preference is that she challenges herself artistically. Use music and themes that are unusual. Incorporate movement and styles from other dance forms. I'd be just as pleasantly surprised by that as I'd be if she landed a new jump.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
She really didn't get the rotations done there. Long way from the real thing.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to get my hopes up. It was some time ago and things could have improved or gotten worse (I am tempted to say better since this is the first time Brian mentions it, but I won't). But the height and coverage!

\o/ Yay! Her 3loop looks strong and perfect there. Not that she ever lost the technique to do it, just that it was hurting her physically, right? It's not that she even needs the loop. It's only 1.5 points more then the double axel. But like I said, if they ever change the rules and limit the number of double axels, then a 3loop would significantly boost her points.

I think her back injury caused her to become much more tentative on the loop since she stopped landing it after her injury of early 2007. It was a mental block not a technical issue. As you can see, the technique is pretty strong. Besides, she used to do it at the beginning of her program. The double axel in the second half is only 1.15 less points, which she makes up for in GOE, so it's not worth it.

gourry

Final Flight
Reading 'Mao wants to go for quad' thead and 'Orser wants Yuna to go for 3A' thread back to back was kind of weird experience. LOL
I don't mind them trying those jumps as long as they stay healthy.
If Yuna stays to compete which I sincerely wish she'll need some new goals and motivation. Trying new tricks and test how far she can go would be good one I guess. Of course, it doesn't have to be technical way. Artistic pursuit would be just as difficult and wonderful as well, but artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
But artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?

Well, under modern under rotation rules and tech calls, I'd say technical improvement is just as subjective, if not more so (there are some jump landings that look absolutely identical to me in high frame rate slow motion, and yet one gets an UR call and the other doesn't, whereas I can tell you that skating to a little used Gershwin piece is a lot more original than Scheherade). And it depends on what Yu Na's ultimate goal is, to challenge herself or get more points? She can be the 6th woman to land a 3axel in international competition, or she can be the first woman to use some wacky Steve Reich piece (j/k about Steve Reich. Original though that'd be, it'd also give me a headache).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, under modern under rotation rules and tech calls, I'd say technical improvement is just as subjective, if not more so (there are some jump landings that look absolutely identical to me in high frame rate slow motion, and yet one gets an UR call and the other doesn't, whereas I can tell you that skating to a little used Gershwin piece is a lot more original than Scheherade). And it depends on what Yu Na's ultimate goal is, to challenge herself or get more points? She can be the 6th woman to land a 3axel in international competition, or she can be the first woman to use some wacky Steve Reich piece (j/k about Steve Reich. Original though that'd be, it'd also give me a headache).

Yes, I think Yuna has the potential to pick out some unique music and make it her own. Evan's interpretation to Scheherade wasn't even 10 percent of Yuna's.

ETA: But of course, I can respect that Kwan did it first. :)

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Yes, I think Yuna has the potential to pick out some unique music and make it her own. Evan's interpretation to Scheherade wasn't even 10 percent of Yuna's.

ETA: But of course, I can respect that Kwan did it first. :)

But it was a lot better than Zhang/Zhang's.... :)
I initially hated Evan's Sheherazade but the more I watched it the more I liked it so maybe it is of acquired taste? At this olympics, I was even touched! LOL But I agree. Yuna's version is waaaaay better.

Anyway, I don't take this very seriously just yet, but surely can't help but thinking what ifs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kwan was the first to use a lot of wonderful pieces of music, but she was definitely not the first with Scheherezade.

I meant that she used it before Yuna Kim. Good trivia question: who used Scheherezade first. Looks like Matt Savoie used Concerto in F at 2001 Nationals. But it looks like he's the only other one.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Reading 'Mao wants to go for quad' thead and 'Orser wants Yuna to go for 3A' thread back to back was kind of weird experience. LOL
I don't mind them trying those jumps as long as they stay healthy.
If Yuna stays to compete which I sincerely wish she'll need some new goals and motivation. Trying new tricks and test how far she can go would be good one I guess. Of course, it doesn't have to be technical way. Artistic pursuit would be just as difficult and wonderful as well, but artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?
3Lz-3Lo may be a good one then. Only Miki does that lately.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I meant that she used it before Yuna Kim. Good trivia question: who used Scheherezade first. Looks like Matt Savoie used Concerto in F at 2001 Nationals. But it looks like he's the only other one.

Ah, Matt Savoie, he had such good taste, although I think he did skate to Andrea Bocceli or Josh Groban, which docks a whole bunch of points in my respectometer. I seriously doubt he's the only other skater to skate to Concerto in F, though. It's just a lesser used piece, and I have a strong feeling it's going to get a lot more popular in skating now. Yu Na definitely put the piece on the map. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a hit on Korean radio. So Yu Na can still break ground even if she skates to a piece just a few other skaters have skated to before. Imagine if Yu Na skated Adrian Schultheiss's Insane in the Brain program from this season, with the strait jacket and Prodigy and all. Now that'd blow some minds.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I was surprised how healthy and fit Yuna has been this year despite the popular perception of her as "frail one". As Yuna and Mao skated back to back, it was especially apparent. Yuna appeared to have notably stronger quadriceps and overall stronger musculature. After long program, Mao was visibly sweating whereas Yuna didn't even sweat at all. So, whatever training routine she's been doing is working for her. I'd say go for triple axel. She already won every title, and she's got nothing to lose.

cosmos

On the Ice
I was surprised how healthy and fit Yuna has been this year despite the popular perception of her as "frail one". As Yuna and Mao skated back to back, it was especially apparent. Yuna appeared to have notably stronger quadriceps and overall stronger musculature. After long program, Mao was visibly sweating whereas Yuna didn't even sweat at all. So, whatever training routine she's been doing is working for her. I'd say go for triple axel. She already won every title, and she's got nothing to lose.

That is because she is cared by a full-time physio-therapist everyday. This guy is very good, one of the best in Korea. He accompanies her anyplace and anytime.