Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    Don't forget about Russian Trio! I can never spell their names though.
    Do you mean Polina Shelepen, Anna Ovcharova, and Elizaveta Tuktumysheva?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Sorry guys, I tried to look for the link to the .gif that was posted at Golden Skate showing YuNa's attempted 3Axel (in the 2009-2010 season Archives...don't remember where to look for it. ) I don't think it was fully rotated, but it was a beauty--she sailed through the air and was something like 20 degrees short.

ETA: I'm so FACKING good!

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id...183874&page=30

Did a search at the YNK forum.
    Thank prettykeys! That was amazing although, to be honest, I do not want to get my hopes up. I hope this 3A talk won't put additional pressure on Yuna. But I would looooooove to see that beauty in competition!

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    maybe if both yu-na and mao have a 3A they will have to change the rules ladies having to do a 2A in the short; but then mao and Yu-na should might as well compete with the men.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Wow I didn't know that! Why didn't Midori try 3A in comp earlier? She would have had it, no?
    She was landing 3axels in exhibitions when she was 14yo but she never put it until later probably because she broke her foot around when she was 15-16yo practicing a quad toe. She really didn't need it because you couldn't win with just jumps back then.. you had to have a good school figure skills.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Do you mean Polina Shelepen, Anna Ovcharova, and Elizaveta Tuktumysheva?
    yup yup
    gotta LOVE that Tuktumysheva girl! She is one heck of a competitor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    yup yup
    gotta LOVE that Tuktumysheva girl! She is one heck of a competitor.
    i've seen her performances at Russian nationals this year and last year. Very impressive! And with a 3-3? and true Lutz to boot!

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    She really didn't get the rotations done there. Long way from the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    Links to Yuna landing the loop:

Here's a link to a recent practice with the 3Lo (around 4:10):

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/...a%20kim&st=cse
    \o/ Yay! Her 3loop looks strong and perfect there. Not that she ever lost the technique to do it, just that it was hurting her physically, right? It's not that she even needs the loop. It's only 1.5 points more then the double axel. But like I said, if they ever change the rules and limit the number of double axels, then a 3loop would significantly boost her points.

There are other ways for Yu Na to challenge herself on the ice besides doing more difficult jumps. She can always try to do more difficult footwork, learn a new spiral, try some new spin positions, etc. And my personal preference is that she challenges herself artistically. Use music and themes that are unusual. Incorporate movement and styles from other dance forms. I'd be just as pleasantly surprised by that as I'd be if she landed a new jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    She really didn't get the rotations done there. Long way from the real thing.
    Yeah, that's why I don't want to get my hopes up. It was some time ago and things could have improved or gotten worse (I am tempted to say better since this is the first time Brian mentions it, but I won't). But the height and coverage!

\o/ Yay! Her 3loop looks strong and perfect there. Not that she ever lost the technique to do it, just that it was hurting her physically, right? It's not that she even needs the loop. It's only 1.5 points more then the double axel. But like I said, if they ever change the rules and limit the number of double axels, then a 3loop would significantly boost her points.
    I think her back injury caused her to become much more tentative on the loop since she stopped landing it after her injury of early 2007. It was a mental block not a technical issue. As you can see, the technique is pretty strong. Besides, she used to do it at the beginning of her program. The double axel in the second half is only 1.15 less points, which she makes up for in GOE, so it's not worth it.

Custom Title
    Reading 'Mao wants to go for quad' thead and 'Orser wants Yuna to go for 3A' thread back to back was kind of weird experience. LOL
    I don't mind them trying those jumps as long as they stay healthy.
    If Yuna stays to compete which I sincerely wish she'll need some new goals and motivation. Trying new tricks and test how far she can go would be good one I guess. Of course, it doesn't have to be technical way. Artistic pursuit would be just as difficult and wonderful as well, but artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    But artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?
    Well, under modern under rotation rules and tech calls, I'd say technical improvement is just as subjective, if not more so (there are some jump landings that look absolutely identical to me in high frame rate slow motion, and yet one gets an UR call and the other doesn't, whereas I can tell you that skating to a little used Gershwin piece is a lot more original than Scheherade). And it depends on what Yu Na's ultimate goal is, to challenge herself or get more points? She can be the 6th woman to land a 3axel in international competition, or she can be the first woman to use some wacky Steve Reich piece (j/k about Steve Reich. Original though that'd be, it'd also give me a headache).

skating philosopher
    Well, under modern under rotation rules and tech calls, I'd say technical improvement is just as subjective, if not more so (there are some jump landings that look absolutely identical to me in high frame rate slow motion, and yet one gets an UR call and the other doesn't, whereas I can tell you that skating to a little used Gershwin piece is a lot more original than Scheherade). And it depends on what Yu Na's ultimate goal is, to challenge herself or get more points? She can be the 6th woman to land a 3axel in international competition, or she can be the first woman to use some wacky Steve Reich piece (j/k about Steve Reich. Original though that'd be, it'd also give me a headache).
    Yes, I think Yuna has the potential to pick out some unique music and make it her own. Evan's interpretation to Scheherade wasn't even 10 percent of Yuna's.

ETA: But of course, I can respect that Kwan did it first.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-02-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Kwan was the first to use a lot of wonderful pieces of music, but she was definitely not the first with Scheherezade.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yes, I think Yuna has the potential to pick out some unique music and make it her own. Evan's interpretation to Scheherade wasn't even 10 percent of Yuna's.

But it was a lot better than Zhang/Zhang's....
    I initially hated Evan's Sheherazade but the more I watched it the more I liked it so maybe it is of acquired taste? At this olympics, I was even touched! LOL But I agree. Yuna's version is waaaaay better.

Anyway, I don't take this very seriously just yet, but surely can't help but thinking what ifs.

skating philosopher
    Kwan was the first to use a lot of wonderful pieces of music, but she was definitely not the first with Scheherezade.
    I meant that she used it before Yuna Kim. Good trivia question: who used Scheherezade first. Looks like Matt Savoie used Concerto in F at 2001 Nationals. But it looks like he's the only other one.

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Reading 'Mao wants to go for quad' thead and 'Orser wants Yuna to go for 3A' thread back to back was kind of weird experience. LOL
    I don't mind them trying those jumps as long as they stay healthy.
    If Yuna stays to compete which I sincerely wish she'll need some new goals and motivation. Trying new tricks and test how far she can go would be good one I guess. Of course, it doesn't have to be technical way. Artistic pursuit would be just as difficult and wonderful as well, but artistry is subjective and some people will still deny her artistry anyway, so maybe technical improvement would be more practical goal?
    3Lz-3Lo may be a good one then. Only Miki does that lately.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast