Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Are you guys sure Orser wants Yuna to go for the triple axel? According to this article he says:
"Let me clarify," he said, explaining that Vancouver reporters had asked if there was anything more Kim — who shattered another world record en route to winning the Olympic gold in figure skating — could do to improve. "I said that the only way that she could be technically better is to work on the triple axel."

usethis

Rinkside
Hah.. Just as I thought. It was Mr. Orser's wet dream. Thanks for the quote, sequinsgalore.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Just a question. Difference btw 2A and 3A is only the number of rotations, right? Are takeoff and landing the same for both jumps?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If she does it with her usual speed & height, IMO, the risk for injury is too high. I don't think her ankle/knee will last long from her speed & height of her jump.

Maybe, but Yuna has already won Olympic gold so if training the 3a starts to hurt her joints she can just quit.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Judging by the answer that Brian gave to Korean press, there is no indication at all that he wants her to do 3A...

Here is the video, if you are interested, but there is nothing new: http://www.mediafire.com/?mgznytnnnav (thanks to No1.yuna from Yuna forum).
If you don't know how to open it, you can just open it in Internet Explorer, but try not to do it in fullscreen, because it's really low resolution.

hellcat

Rinkside
1 R is huge difference.

Besides, barely landing 3A doesn't help much as you won't have room for transition moves like the beautiful Yuna's Gold Medal long program performance. In order to make that 3-A part of that quality of a program, you should do much more than just landing 3A.

Lilith11

On the Ice
In that case, I'd recommend that Yu-na cut back on the number of competitions she takes part in. Of course, that doesn't really reduce the amount of stress since there's practice... but at least then, it won't be training, training, training... and she can take it a steadier pace w/room to accomadate relax time so that her joints don't cripple or something. She'd need to pace herself. I mean, she can do just about every triple except the axel, and if she wants to advance technically, I'd say she might also have to limit herself to the major, major competitions like Worlds. That being said, I still hold to my belief that Yu-na could learn it ;D And perhaps even more *coughquadcough* XD I mean, if she's up for it, I'm behind her decision 100%. It'd be awesome to see both Mao AND Yu-na advancing and pushing the boundaries of women's figure skate. As long as she doesn't sacrifice artistry though of course. As we saw w/the Olys, just nailing a triple axel isn't enough; you have to do it w/style and flair and a WOW factor.

Nadia01

Final Flight
That's true, we don't want Yuna to get hurt :cry:! But Mao seems ok despite all her triple axeling.

Mao had better support and equipment from the get-go.

Yuna couldn't even get skating boots that fit her correctly until after she made her Sr. debut.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Mao had better support and equipment from the get-go.

Yuna couldn't even afford to buy skating boots until after she made her Sr. debut.

Hubuwuh? What did she skate in then? Rented boots? Tissue box with a butter knife taped on it?

miki88

Medalist
Hubuwuh? What did she skate in then? Rented boots? Tissue box with a butter knife taped on it?

:laugh: Oh DesertRoad, you crack me up! I heard in her early days, it was hard for Yuna to support her skating, but I think she still had skateboots though. :)

Nadia01

Final Flight

What I mean (lol) is that she couldn't really afford boots that fit her correctly, and she mentionde that the lack of properly fitted boots gave her a lot of problems, mostly joint pain (knees & ankles).

Her 1st skates were very old ones she got from her aunt.

tommyk75

Rinkside
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread (sorry if it was), but the Korean press asked her about this when she arrived, and Yu-Na basically said that what she showed at the Olympics was her technical best and she wasn't really interested in the triple axel. She also said that Orser had never mentioned that to her directly.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
What I mean (lol) is that she couldn't really afford boots that fit her correctly, and she mentionde that the lack of properly fitted boots gave her a lot of problems, mostly joint pain (knees & ankles).

Her 1st skates were very old ones she got from her aunt.

That's terrible. :frown: Poor little Yu Na, having to putter around in her aunt's old smelly skates and grimacing in pain after every stroke. Of course, now she's all grown up and rich and successful, and has the power to have her aunt forcibly put in a chemical bath.

Nadia01

Final Flight
That's terrible. :frown: Poor little Yu Na, having to putter around in her aunt's old smelly skates and grimacing in pain after every stroke. Of course, now she's all grown up and rich and successful, and has the power to have her aunt forcibly put in a chemical bath.

LOL. I think she likes her aunt. I don't think her family could afford to buy her new boots anyway, esp. when they weren't sure if Yuna was really interested in skating or not.

I think this is why she wants to fund a lot of junior skaters' training, etc. in Korea b/c she feels bad for young athletes suffering due to the lack of financial resources, etc.

Yuna's HS has her 1st skates in some glass display BTW. Or so I heard. :)