Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Orser wants Yuna to go for the Triple Axel

hellcat

Rinkside
That's true, we don't want Yuna to get hurt :cry:! But Mao seems ok despite all her triple axeling.

Because they have different style of jumps. Mao puts a sudden stop on her speed and translate that energy into the air, and faster rotation in the air w/ less speed & travel distance.

Basically that is much safer than either Yuna's style - i.e. throwing herself into the air at full speed.

Mao's style is probably less stress on her joint landing but loses momentum so that the next jump will be much harder.

Yuna's style helps her to use more of her leg muscle on the 2nd jump as she mainly used her speed on the 1st jump. But the landing from her 1st jump is likely to put more stress on her joint.

prettykeys

Medalist
I agree with hellcat. There is a higher potential and risk for YuNa to injure herself in practicing or trying for the 3Axel because of her speed and height, just the way she executes her jumps.

I will not be disappointed if she doesn't care much for it, and instead, performs beautiful programs in new and different ways.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread (sorry if it was), but the Korean press asked her about this when she arrived, and Yu-Na basically said that what she showed at the Olympics was her technical best and she wasn't really interested in the triple axel. She also said that Orser had never mentioned that to her directly.

Direct quote.

While Asada became the first woman to pull off two triple Axels in an Olympic programme last month, Kim appears less keen on taking on the difficult jump.

The Korean raised an eyebrow at a news conference in Seoul following her triumphant return when informed coach Brian Orser planned to have her attempt the triple Axel in competition.

"That's news to me," said Kim, shooting her Canadian mentor a look. "Are you sure?"

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree with hellcat. There is a higher potential and risk for YuNa to injure herself in practicing or trying for the 3Axel because of her speed and height, just the way she executes her jumps.

I will not be disappointed if she doesn't care much for it, and instead, performs beautiful programs in new and different ways.

Aren't Yuna and Mao the same height?

ryoko

Rinkside
Kinda off topic, but since we did talk about baby yuna, I will post anyways-
Min-jung Kwak went to Toronto with Yuna to train with her at cricket club until the world championship. :love: Maybe Orser could help her out a little?
I hope she stays there and train with orser after the world since orser did say he wants to train more korean skaters.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kinda off topic, but since we did talk about baby yuna, I will post anyways-
Min-jung Kwak went to Toronto with Yuna to train with her at cricket club until the world championship. :love: Maybe Orser could help her out a little?
I hope she stays there and train with orser after the world since orser did say he wants to train more korean skaters.

Ahh thanks for the update, this makes me happy! I really hope Kwak ends up training with him, she has so much potential and Orser's student Christina Gao is just the same age and very similar in build and skating style to Min-Jung, so training together they could become friends and could push each other to become even better :agree:! Kwak is so adorable, and I have no doubt Brian will be able to help her, good luck to her at worlds!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh. Yeah, Yuna jumps really high which would increase the impact on her landings and she also does not have as soft knees as Mao.

I am not sure what you mean. Yuna is already jumping very high on her 3Lz and 3 F.
Her landings appear soft and clean. I seriously doubt if the landing a 3A would hurt Yuna physically. Perhaps the mechanics of the jump itself might be bad for her old back or hip injuries ..........but the landing?

As to the soft knees - Yuna is reported to be one of the softest and quietest skaters since Janet Lynn. Other coaches marvel at her skating when they see her practice.

Button raves about Yuna's jumps and elegance but Peggy Fleming used to gush over the "incredible softness" of Yuna's skating.
I think Yuna has some very good knees.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I am not sure what you mean. Yuna is already jumping very high on her 3Lz and 3 F.
Her landings appear soft and clean. I seriously doubt if the landing a 3A would hurt Yuna physically. Perhaps the mechanics of the jump itself might be bad for her old back or hip injuries ..........but the landing?

As to the soft knees - Yuna is reported to be one of the softest and quietest skaters since Janet Lynn. Other coaches marvel at her skating when they see her practice.

Button raves about Yuna's jumps and elegance but Peggy Fleming used to gush over the "incredible softness" of Yuna's skating.
I think Yuna has some very good knees.

Maybe you are right. I have just heard that Yuna is not naturally flexible and more stiff than some of the other skaters, so I assumed this meant her legs/knees were stiff but it might be referring to her back or hips. I hope Yuna has good knees!

hellcat

Rinkside
In Mao's 3a, a great amoutn of stress gets relieved before the take-off by the quick break using her edge, which turns the speed into the energy to help her take off. Then, with less speed, she can land with less stress on her joint. Now, this jumping style would be heavily influcned by her body weight.

In Yuna's case, it doesn't matter how soft and graceful her landing may look. All her speed and weight will be relying on her joint to support her body not to fall.

Besides, Yuna's style won't be as forgiving as Mao's style regarding 2-foot landing. She'll be more likely to fall hard w/ any 2-foot landing.

Nadia01

Final Flight
In Mao's 3a, a great amoutn of stress gets relieved before the take-off by the quick break using her edge, which turns the speed into the energy to help her take off. Then, with less speed, she can land with less stress on her joint. Now, this jumping style would be heavily influcned by her body weight.

In Yuna's case, it doesn't matter how soft and graceful her landing may look. All her speed and weight will be relying on her joint to support her body not to fall.

Besides, Yuna's style won't be as forgiving as Mao's style regarding 2-foot landing. She'll be more likely to fall hard w/ any 2-foot landing.

Then it's a good thing that she rarely 2-fts her landing.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Maybe you are right. I have just heard that Yuna is not naturally flexible and more stiff than some of the other skaters, so I assumed this meant her legs/knees were stiff but it might be referring to her back or hips. I hope Yuna has good knees!

Yuna is not naturally flexible, you're right, and she relaly had to work to be able to do Bielman. But I think her lack of flexibliity has something to do with her inability to hold certain very balletic positions, rather than her skating skill / technique.

ryoko

Rinkside
Yuna is not naturally flexible, you're right, and she relaly had to work to be able to do Bielman. But I think her lack of flexibliity has something to do with her inability to hold certain very balletic positions, rather than her skating skill / technique.

geez! all these talk about how bendy she has to be! :disapp:
Poor girl does not lack flexibility, it is simply not her greatest strength.
Sure, if you compare her to skaters like cziny and cohen her positions may look mediocre. But they had exceptionally great flexibility and it doesn't mean yuna has horrible one. Her biellman position is pretty and she has wonderful upperbody flexibility. Compared to flatt, ando, suzuki and rochette, Yuna's flexibility is decent IMO. What does she have to do more to prove herself? She could probably work more on turnouts in layback spins, but I think people are waaay too nitpicking. Her flexibility is decent enough to put her in top ten, I think.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sure, if you compare her to skaters like cziny and cohen her positions may look mediocre. But they had exceptionally great flexibility and it doesn't mean yuna has horrible one. Her biellman position is pretty and she has wonderful upperbody flexibility. Compared to flatt, ando, suzuki and rochette, Yuna's flexibility is decent IMO. What does she have to do more to prove herself? She could probably work more on turnouts in layback spins, but I think people are waaay too nitpicking. Her flexibility is decent enough to put her in top ten, I think.

It wasn't meant to be an insult! I had just heard that Yuna had stiff joints and was concerned about 3a but when someone said she had soft knees I was confused. I love Yuna and her spirals even though they aren't a full split.

Nadia01

Final Flight

LOL.

Trust me, I don't mind Yuna's spiral positions anymore. (They used to bug me a lot though but she made some significant improvement)

I'm not a super fan of uber-benders. But I"m merely clarifying that her lack of uber-bendiness doesn't mean she doesn't have good skating skill/tech. :)

RumbleFish

Rinkside
LOL.

Trust me, I don't mind Yuna's spiral positions anymore. (They used to bug me a lot though but she made some significant improvement)

I'm not a super fan of uber-benders. But I"m merely clarifying that her lack of uber-bendiness doesn't mean she doesn't have good skating skill/tech. :)

I want to add that notwithstanding all the criticism she receives from flexibility ubers, Kim Yu Na has made gradual improvements on her stretch and positions since she debuted on senior level.
Her free leg was barely kept above her hips in 06 GP events, but every year since it has been held higher.

I am pleased that in Olys Gala, she even manage to point her toes during the lay back spin and the spiral.
It was barley noticeable, but I have no doubts that she will make more progress. :)

ryoko

Rinkside
LOL.

I see what you mean and I agree.
Sorry, I wasn't particularly targeting you. Uber-benders are prettier to look at. My only problem is that they usually lack speed in spiral sequence and I often feel urge to just give them a little push :laugh: Mirai would be an exception though- she has wonderful stretch and superior speed.