Russian president rebukes the country's sports officials, demands resignations | Golden Skate

Russian president rebukes the country's sports officials, demands resignations

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Russian president rebukes the country's sports officials, demands resignations

From Reuters: Kremlin wants resignations after Olympic pride dented

Russian president Dmitry Medvedev gave a TV address where he talked about Team Russia's underperforming medal take at the Olympics. His most severe quote:

"Those responsible should take the brave decision and sign a letter (of resignation). If they can't we will help them."

He also said, "We must drastically change the training of our athletes, judging by what has happened in Vancouver."

He seems to blame a level of corruption in the country's sporting federations, "The athlete, not federations, those fat cats, must be given priority."

I hope Piseev likes it cold, really cold, 'cause there's a gulag in Siberia with his number on it! And I don't even want to think about what the athletes will have to go through as Russia pushes them to redeem the country in Sochi. They'll be expected to win at least 3 platinum medals, or else!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
State-controlled broadcasters led their main Sunday evening bulletins with reports highlighting the poor training facilities for athletes and echoed earlier comments from the country's paramount leader, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

"Of course we expected more from our team," Putin said, while the games were nearing their close on Friday. "But that's not cause to throw up our hands, wear a sackcloth and ashes or beat ourselves with chains."

I think Vladimir Putin's taking it a bit easier than he is. Which is kinda surprising ... to me.

Is it bad that I find this a little bit funny?

...It probably is.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Is it bad that I find this a little bit funny?

...It probably is.

This is pretty hilarious to anybody who doesn't take sports completely seriously. But, on the other hand, I am worried about what the athletes will go through and the pressure they'll be put under. Although, I am actually glad that Medvedev is targeting corruption in the various federations. The money should go towards training the athletes and ensuring their well being. Well, at least the first part of my preceding statement will be put to better practice in Russia, I think.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:I had simultaneously started a thread about this in The Edge ( Will there be a shake-up in Russian Figure Skating)..maybe "the Mods that be" can meld the two , somewhere.

Anyway, I won't just re-spout , but with all the talent they must have ( and I don't only mean the athletes) and being one who's only too willing to like a skater wherever they're from,so long as they thrill me , it's been really quite depressing to watch Russian figure skating stagnate over the years.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:I had simultaneously started a thread about this in The Edge ( Will there be a shake-up in Russian Figure Skating)..maybe "the Mods that be" can meld the two , somewhere.

Anyway, I won't just re-spout , but with all the talent they must have ( and I don't only mean the athletes) and being one who's only too willing to like a skater wherever they're from,so long as they thrill me , it's been really quite depressing to watch Russian figure skating stagnate over the years.

Free Lutai ;)