Thread: Sochi exhibition at the closing ceremony

Custom Title

Sochi exhibition at the closing ceremony

Was anybody else as impressed with the beautiful sochi "exhibition". I loved the ballet dancers and the opera singers. The whole thing had a Dr. Zhivago feel for me. It was very dreamy.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    Was anybody else as impressed with the beautiful sochi "exhibition". I loved the ballet dancers and the opera singers. The whole thing had a Dr. Zhivago feel for me. It was very dreamy.
    It was the most beautiful presentation of the whole night. A stark contrast to the low-rent cheese the Canadians have been passing off as ceremony. I enjoyed how much figure skating was emphasized in the Sochi display, as well. I'm hoping the Sochi opening ceremony will feature more figure skating than the Canadian one did.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    It was the most beautiful presentation of the whole night. A stark contrast to the low-rent cheese the Canadians have been passing off as ceremony. I enjoyed how much figure skating was emphasized in the Sochi display, as well. I'm hoping the Sochi opening ceremony will feature more figure skating than the Canadian one did.
    I am certainly looking forward to all the Sochi fluff/promotions. All that Russian culture on display. All those Olympians coming home for a (tempestuous) reunion, including the rivals and defectors, ha. I will eagerly await the Opening Ceremonies, too.

Medalist
    I loved the Sochi presentation! If it was this good at the preview, I can't imagine what the real thing is going to be like. I bet Russia is going to put on quite a show!! I wasn't really impressed with Canada's Closing Ceremony, for me the big highlight of Canada's presentation was Michael J. Fox.

Custom Title
    i'm really looking forward to sochi as well!
    the Prince Igor segment made me really happy :D

Custom Title
    It was beautiful. and the only worth watching thing of the entire ceremony...

I looved watching Navka & Kostomarov again.

Was the first girl in close up the daughter of Gordeeva?? the resemblance was striking.

Custom Title
    Love the rich, sophisticate Russian culture and ballet root! Looking forward to the Sochi Olympics! Unfortunately, Russians seemed to have lost this root at this Olympics, especially in ice dance. North Americans, such as Canadian ice dancers have picked it up.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Custom Title
    I missed it. Does anybody anybody have a video link?

I absolutely adored the Sochi exhibition and am so far really happy with how Sochi is shaping up, art wise. Initially, I expected to see one of two things: either a focus on the fact that Sochi is not in what most think of as "Russia" ie Moscow/St. Petersburg or Siberia, and instead on the coast and by the Mediterranean, or to see a very old school Russian, ballet and fur.

While we saw a little of the second, I loved how they took a techonological approach, really showing the advancement of Russia and how far it has advanced in the last 100 years, while still using the art it is famous for. =] It was a beautiful exhibition, and can't wait for opening ceremonies...I believe they will easily top Vancouver's closing, and while I loved the opening, it has potential to top that too, as well as Beijing's. =]

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I loved the part of Sochi, at first moment when i saw the top model opening i said OH, but the concept was very very nice, it was colorful and rich and the ballet part with Golub and the other one dancer from Kirov that I dont remember the name was meshemrizing, and the black sea skating and then the music from prince Igor, it could have been too much but no, it was magical, like a fairy tale.
    And since i m occupied with montages, their opening video was one of the best i ve seen. I like the colors they have for Sochi as well

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    It was beautiful. and the only worth watching thing of the entire ceremony...

Was the first girl in close up the daughter of Gordeeva?? the resemblance was striking.
    Yeah, I was just asking someone was that Daria Grinkov? Or Liza Kulik Or were they both in it?

What was the Prince Igor segment?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    Yeah, I was just asking someone was that Daria Grinkov? Or Liza Kulik Or were they both in it?
    I didn't see Daria Grinkova. Liza was there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post

What was the Prince Igor segment?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw1weml0-r0 the lady on the techno-troika (lol) was singing this

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I haven't seen closing ceremony again but I think Liza was together with Plush

This is a youtube video of Prince Egor with conductor Mr Gergiev

Rinkside
    Sochi has a huge task at hand with 2014 because they set the bar quite high for themselves presenting such a cool exhibition at the Closing Ceremonies. Those Zorbs are funky looking in the dark and I like the strong inclusion of the arts...now put on a good Games, Russia!!! We look forward to it!!