Judging consistency across disciplines | Golden Skate

Judging consistency across disciplines

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
With the Olympics behind us, boards are full of lists of the most overscored and underscored skaters, theories about judging, etc. I was interested in seeing if judging in some disciplines is more consistent than in others. Indeed it is! As before, I'm using the standard deviation as a measure of judging consistence. This table lists standard deviations in judging scoring in all segments of the figure skating competition except for the CD. The first column is the average of GoE and component standard deviations for the given skater; next come the standard deviations for GoE and average components, and then all components one by one. Some larger deviations are highlighted in different colors. What we see with the naked eye is that the most erratic judging belonged to the men's competition this time around. Pairs are a little odd - there are some high deviations in SP, yet unanimity in FS; similarly, judges seemed to agree in ice dancing FS more so than in the OD.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Interesting stuff. Thank you!

Deviation in Plushenko's PCS is most noticeable.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Thanks soo much for that table. Really interesting.

My comments on Dance :

Doesnt surprise me to see high deviations for Reeds OD in Choreo, it was a very nice program but to ask for the judges to evaluate it as more than a second tier team program was too much I guess. The ukranians were also lowballed in the OD IMO and probably the system picked the judges who were harsher with them unfortunately. They are the team with more over the place scores.
VirtueMoir had the lowest deviation which means all the judges were floored by their performance.. finally!!:love::agree:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
great chart. definitely very interesting... men's deviations are all over the place, especially in the younger skaters.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Such a great, interesting post, with lots of work behind! Thank you. Interesting.

LisaS

On the Ice
I must be really dumb, but I don't see a chart. Can someone help me find it?