Cirque On Ice starring Shawn Sawyer and Gary Beacom! | Golden Skate

Cirque On Ice starring Shawn Sawyer and Gary Beacom!

oakl0008

Rinkside
Hey all!

Haven't found a whole lot about this, but apparently former Olympians (and dang wonderful skaters I might add) will star with a bunch of other multi-level skaters in a show called "Cirque On Ice" on March 20th and 21st at the Archie Browining Sports Centre in Victoria, BC. This isn't the first time Beacom and Sawyer skated in a show like this. In 2008 they both starred in Peter Pan On Ice at the same arena.

This so makes me wish I could beam myself from Ontario to British Columbia. Price is sooo much better than SOI and CSOI and I wish there were more dates for this show!

Anyone know any more about this?

Here is what I could find on the event:

http://www.timescolonist.com/Cirque/2631330/story.html

Your thoughts.

oakl0008

Rinkside
I wish they were able to tour this show accross the country at least. I can understand that the money wouldn't be there though. And the fact that skaters of all ages are in the cast could make it difficult. $12 per ticket sure beats those SOI prices!

What I REALLY wish is that they could find a way to professionally record this, or remake it on camera as a skating special. I know the show hasn't started yet but the home video snippets of Peter Pan On Ice I saw on youtube showed how great it was and how great it could be.

This makes me wish the days of those great high budget skating specials like Strawberry Ice and Carmen On Ice to name a few were still here. With the new technology available and movies like Avatar 3D, it's too bad that figure skating lost it's popularity in order to catch up.

Also, I would think that Shawn Sawyer (my favorite skater), has the moves that would show up well on camera. I wish he existed in the days of skating specials so we could see his full potential. :biggrin:

Wishful thinking, I know. But I can dream.

I also wish Sawyer was able to do shows like Festa On Ice in Korea. It really looks like he was well recieved there during 4CC's. Again, more wishful thinking. :p

But of course, his career direction is all up to him. So here's hoping he makes good choices!

figuristka

Medalist
Shawn is one of my favourtie skaters on and off the ice. I hope if he does choose to retire, he gets lots of work in shows. Iam sorry i cannot go to this as iam presently i Europe. I had wished he had been the skater at the Olympics, he would have done well iam very sure.

oakl0008

Rinkside
Guys, for anyone who's wondering, it looks like Sawyer won't be skating in Cirque after all and has been replaced. He has been a last minute addition to the SOI cast and is now practicing in Florida.

Here's where I found this news: http://www.racquetclubofvictoria.com/welcome.htm

I'm thrilled for Sawyer, however I think he sold out a bit by pulling out of this commitment at the last minute the second SOI finally gave him a spot. Bad taste if you ask me.

And if this is indeed the American tour, Sawyer just opened himself up to a massive backlash. Was he living under a rock during the media firestorm questioning why 2008 world medallist Johnny Weir was left off the tour?? SOI convieniently said that they didn't have enough spots, then add Weir at the last minute.

Again, Sawyer's my favorite skater but something's off about this.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm glad he got asked back to Stars on Ice. I was wondering why he wasn't going back,if he hadn't been asked or what. That makes me maybe want to go to the show lol. It makes sense that it's the Canadian one though and not the American. It would have been weird if the American one took Shawn and not Johnny, because Shawn is also gay but of course not of the same I guess 'undesired' temperament of Johnny Weir.

oakl0008

Rinkside
Forgive me guys, it totally looked like he was invited to the U.S. tour. I stand corrected!

Looks like he's replacing Patrick Chan on the CSOI tour. I wonder what happened there. Someone said apparantly Chan wanted to spend time with family, but pulling out of a tour like CSOI, makes me wonder. No biggie.

Yea I am happy for Shawn and wondered why he wasn't first choice in the first place. Kind of looks demoralizing that Shawn seems to be the second choice or the fall back plan for when one of their big guys can't skate on the tour.

I agree with you on all you said blue_idealist. Of course Johnny did skate with COI so I wouldn't think he wasn't a team player. Sawyer, while I always loved his skating and always will, seems to have butched up his skating a bit if you compare his style to that of 2006. I find that a bit sad because Sawyer is one of the few that could pull off such elegance and wispy beauty that was wonderful to watch. It's my own nostalgic opinion here but I think he has somewhat blocked his true artistic potential by doing that to fit in with what the show appears to prefer in men's skating.

Which brings some wishful thinking: Shawn Sawyer and Johnny Weir on the same tour? Now that would be something. I doubt it would happen but I so wish it did.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Shawn will be much more entertaining to crowds than Patrick any day. :) Maybe Chan's injury is aggravating him again, but he doesn't want to say anything? just a thought..

I never really noticed Shawn's skating being 'butched up'.. but I don't remember his older performances that well. I wasn't really a fan of his until the last couple of years - it was the 2008 Free Skate at Skate Canada that drew me in.

oakl0008

Rinkside
Totally agree about Shawn and Patrick. Sawyer was the reason I went to see the show last year. The show itself was meh, but Sawyer's skating was great. I also questioned why they didn't invite Sawyer in the first place when Chan was originally invited. So I guess I was just saying that it appears that Sawyer is , to the CSOI management as opposed to us :biggrin: , that Sawyer is the last resort if they can't sign any other guy, which I found a bit sad. Of course, he DID get a spot in the Skate Canada competition at almost the last minute and that turned out well for him. :biggrin:

Here is what I am comparing his present skating style to (the 2006 Olympics LP, he even did an ina bauer!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDnWDCFubc

In 2005 and 2006 it was his elegant and wispy movement on the ice that drew me in, even before his flexibility. So compare that to his style now and it appears somewhat butched up in a way, which does concern me a little for the reason that it could make his flexibility appear as a gimmick. That would be sad since I never saw Sawyer as a gimmick but as a genuine performer.

Oh and I think his LP costume needs to start sparkling again. He looks good in sparkles. :biggrin:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Shawn Sawyer was quite the last resort.. they didn't ask Chipeur or Reynolds, I assume.. wouldn't want the audience to fall asleep :p

Shawn looks good in all costumes, lol :love:

oakl0008

Rinkside
The truck driver on ice (sorry Vaughn) who thinks he's Elvis Stojko and Howdie Doodie (sorry Kevin) who thinks he's Alexei Yagudin in SOI?! I just shudder at the thought! *Shudder* *Shudder*

I also believe, in a business way, not that I know anything about business, that the fact that Sawyer is an IMG skater made it easier for SOI to include him in the first place. That being said, he's made it work for him (I saw his skating last year) and I hope that success continues for years to come. That's not a guarantee for every skater that joins a tour. It can go good or bad. So far, Sawyer seems to fit. I just hope the show production itself is of better quality than last year, especially at the current prices. I'm also contemplating on going. Money is an issue but I don't want to pay so low that the skaters look like ants, lol. I hope you are able to go to a show near you too. :D

I have never seen Sawyer in a bad costume. He is stunning in looks and how he presents himself (oh yea). And I do like his all-black costume. It's just that I have this relatively new and crazy job at this movie theatre and I have to wear all black so Shawn Sawyer now reminds me of WORK. LOL.

More colour please! More sparkles please!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, I probably won't be going this year. I'm a student with no job at the moment, so I can't afford any of the good tickets, and the last time I sat in the cheap seats I didn't enjoy it at all - could barely see the skaters. I lucked out in 2004 though, my Dad got free tickets for the first level but people ended up not showing up to sit in the seats right beside the ice, so some worker said we could sit there. I ended up shaking some of the skaters' hands. lol. :D