Podium Predictions! | Golden Skate

Podium Predictions!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So Junior Worlds starts next week and I'm curious to see what people's predictions for the results are!

My predictions:

Men

1.) Dennis Ten
2.) Hanyu Yuzuru
3.) Armin Mahbanoozadeh

I was really impressed with Ten at the Olympics and Armin at nationals. I don't know much about Hanyu but from what I hear he is very good. Hochstein or Messing could also potentially sneak onto the podium depending on how everyone else performs.

Ladies : for those that don't know, Ashley Wagner has withdrawn and Kiri Baga is going to take her place.

1.) Kanako Murakami
2.) Christina Gao
3.) Anna Ovcharova

I love all three of these skaters, they are so energetic and cute :agree:! Normally I would have Polina Shelepen above Anna but she has been struggling with her jumps and spins a lot recently while Anna has been performing very well. I think Polina might be going through a big growth spurt and it's affecting her jumps.

Pairs:

1.) Sui/Han
2.) Zhang/Wamg
3.) Takahashi/Tran

Asian sweep like at the JGPF.

I don't watch ice dance but hopefully someone else has imput!

Jiarry

Rinkside
My predictions:

Men

1.) Dennis Ten
2.) SONG Nan
3.) Hanyu Yuzuru

Ladies :
1.) Kanako Murakami
2.) Christina Gao
3.) a Russian girl

Pairs:

1.) Sui/Han(>160 pts)
2.) Takahashi/Tran
3.) Zhang/Wang

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Men:

3 from

Dennis Ten
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nan Song
Armin Mahbanoozadeh

Where is Ross Miner? Does he withdraw?

Ladies:

3 from

Kanako Murakami
Christina Gao
Polina Shelepen
Polina Agafonova
Anna Ovcharova

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Yes, Ross Miner has withdrawn. Due to his sprained ankle before Nationals, think he has not had time to properly recover/train.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
3.) a Russian girl

:laugh: I love how we all agree on this and how they are grouped together. I hope these young Russians stay good so that they can revamp ladies figure skating in their country! Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarova are doing a good job but I think some of these young girls have the potential to be the next Irina if puberty and/or injuries don't slow them down!

Also, does anyone know anything about Agnes Zawadski? She won the Jr. Title at US nationals but was not on the JGP and qualified through regionals and sectionals. Apparently she won the competition by a big margin too. As far as I know she does not go for 3-3 but appears to be a more grown up skater than most of the podium favorites, which may not help her much considering it is junior worlds. Potentially she could medal but I don't know much about her and if she's consistent or not, etc. Anyone know how she stacks up next to Murakami, Gao, and the Russians?

Narumi1997

Rinkside
:laugh: I love how we all agree on this and how they are grouped together. I hope these young Russians stay good so that they can revamp ladies figure skating in their country! Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarova are doing a good job but I think some of these young girls have the potential to be the next Irina if puberty and/or injuries don't slow them down!

Also, does anyone know anything about Agnes Zawadski? She won the Jr. Title at US nationals but was not on the JGP and qualified through regionals and sectionals. Apparently she won the competition by a big margin too. As far as I know she does not go for 3-3 but appears to be a more grown up skater than most of the podium favorites, which may not help her much considering it is junior world
Potentially she could medal but I don't know much about her and if she's consistent or not, etc. Anyone know how she stacks up next to Murakami, Gao,
and the Russians?
At US nationals I believe Zawadzki scored higher than Gao but Gao skated senior while Zawaszki skated Junior.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
At US nationals I believe Zawadzki scored higher than Gao but Gao skated senior while Zawaszki skated Junior.

Yeah. I just don't know if where Agnes has had no ISU experience if her PCS scores will be really low here and she will be kept down because of reputation scoring.

bekalc

Record Breaker

You can't really compare the two though because I have a feeling Christine's scores were held back purposely, whereas not so much with Agnes. (They had no reason to with Agnes) Plus one thing that could hold Agnes back is I hear that she doesn't skate with a lot of speed (this is an issue with most of Tom Z's students...)

Last edited:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Agnes DOES have the highest total of all the competitors coming into JW. She scored 171 at US Nats, while K. Murakami scored 166 at Japanese Nats. Although I know it isn't really feasible to compare scores between national events, still....it is impressive. She will be the dark horse of this event.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agnes DOES have the highest total of all the competitors coming into JW. She scored 171 at US Nats, while K. Murakami scored 166 at Japanese Nats. Although I know it isn't really feasible to compare scores between national events, still....it is impressive. She will be the dark horse of this event.

I guess she does have the highest score coming in. I still think there's a possibility one of the Russians will win the ladies title, they are all so feisty! Earlier this season I thought Shelepen was the best of the little Russians on the JGP but she has been struggling recently, and was beaten by Agafonova and Ovcharova at nationals. I like Ovcharova the best because of her speed, footwork, and choreography :love: ....she gets SO into her programs it's really exciting! Agafonova is also excellent and has 3-3 but she's so little her skating doesn't have as much impact.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I guess she does have the highest score coming in. I still think there's a possibility one of the Russians will win the ladies title, they are all so feisty! Earlier this season I thought Shelepen was the best of the little Russians on the JGP but she has been struggling recently, and was beaten by Agafonova and Ovcharova at nationals. I like Ovcharova the best because of her speed, footwork, and choreography :love: ....she gets SO into her programs it's really exciting! Agafonova is also excellent and has 3-3 but she's so little her skating doesn't have as much impact.

I think Shelepen is the strongest of the Russians. She has all triples and 3-3 combinations and she is more consistant than Anna or Polina A. She did very well at all of her international events when Anna and Polina A. had some problems with their LPs, thats why her total scores are so much higher. Anna doesn't have all triples (she doesn't have 3T and 3S), Polina A. often underrotates her jumps, especially 3-3 (at Senior Nationals she did 3Lz-3T and 3S-3T combos, but both were downgraded). Polina Shelepen's jumps are consistant and fully rotated

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Shelepen is the strongest of the Russians. She has all triples and 3-3 combinations and she is more consistant than Anna or Polina A. She did very well at all of her international events when Anna and Polina A. had some problems with their LPs, thats why her total scores are so much higher. Anna doesn't have all triples (she doesn't have 3T and 3S), Polina A. often underrotates her jumps, especially 3-3 (at Senior Nationals she did 3Lz-3T and 3S-3T combos, but both were downgraded). Polina Shelepen's jumps are consistant and fully rotated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_EytmJFwk
Anna Ovcharova has 3t now, it's her first jump in her LP which she has changed the layout a bit so she now jumps 6 triples in it.

Also, at Russian Junior Nationals, Polina A won and beat Polina S by about 7 points, and Anna came in second and beat Polina S by about 5 points. So at this point it really seems to be a toss up over who is better, because all three have beaten the other two at some competition or another. Shelepen appears to have grown a lot recently and all in her legs so that might be giving her some trouble. I also think Christina Gao could potentially beat all three of the Russians if she does her 3t-3t in both programs where it is such a strong element for her and will garner her more points than the old 3flutz-2t she used to do.

zizi31

Rinkside
Polina S. is so pretty with the long legs, but I think that they're going to give her trouble with the jumps. I keep thinking that she should have gone into ballet instead. She has the perfect body for that. I'm not sure if she'll be able to keep up the jumps as she fills out. She looks quite tall already.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina S. is so pretty with the long legs, but I think that they're going to give her trouble with the jumps. I keep thinking that she should have gone into ballet instead. She has the perfect body for that. I'm not sure if she'll be able to keep up the jumps as she fills out. She looks quite tall already.

I worry about that too. She is around 5'3" now so she could potentially end up tall like Carolina Kostner or even if she only grows an inch or two taller and just is long legged, her body is bound to change a lot, even if she still stays skinny. I agree that she would likely be great at ballet with her long limbs! I also worry about Anna getting too tall, she's around 5'4" now and hasn't even turned 14 yet! She could potentially be 5'8" or taller!

zizi31

Rinkside
I think 5'3'' isn't that tall (she looked taller to me), but her extreme thinness suggests that she probably hasn't gone through puberty yet. So she may grow in height and gain weight in the next few years. Anna isn't quite as skinny, so she may be finished with puberty and growth (both vertical and horizontal). That would be good new for her jumps. I was more like Anna - I was almost 5 ft 4 and 105 pounds when I was 14; I'm now 21 and I've only grown half an inch and gained 5 or so pounds. But you never really know. It must be really stressful for these girls and their parents, since body type has such a huge impact on jumping ability, but you can't really control how your body develops.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think 5'3'' isn't that tall (she looked taller to me), but her extreme thinness suggests that she probably hasn't gone through puberty yet. So she may grow in height and gain weight in the next few years. Anna isn't quite as skinny, so she may be finished with puberty and growth (both vertical and horizontal). That would be good new for her jumps. I was more like Anna - I was almost 5 ft 4 and 105 pounds when I was 14; I'm now 21 and I've only grown half an inch and gained 5 or so pounds. But you never really know. It must be really stressful for these girls and their parents, since body type has such a huge impact on jumping ability, but you can't really control how your body develops.

Yeah I know, it must be rough. I mean Caroline, Mirai, and Kimmie were all miniature until they were like 15 and then all of a sudden they became normal sized and it clearly hurt their jumps. Mirai luckily has been able to work through it but it was a long and hard process and even now her jumps are still subject to under-rotation. Polina definitely still looks like a little kid and will either gain substantial height and weight or at least weight, especially where she is not asian. I feel like Yuna grew into her adult body without gaining much height and weight but asians are generally smaller and slimmer than europeans. Anna I don't know about, she looks more grown up than Polina and has a bit of a body shape but is still very thin, she might not grow much at all or she could just end up being a taller, stronger person like Carolina which could hurt her jumps. I guess we will see in the coming years what happens to these girls and how it affects their skating.

I predict a winner in each discipline has already skated Seniors.

It's not the best comp to see up and coming skaters, but one to see how they are doing.

for up and coming skaters, NOVICE is the comp to watch.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I predict a winner in each discipline has already skated Seniors.

It's not the best comp to see up and coming skaters, but one to see how they are doing.

for up and coming skaters, NOVICE is the comp to watch.

There are no ladies that have skated senior internationals, that will be here. And Junior Worlds "is a pretty good indicator" Yu-na, Mao, and Miki were Junior World Champions.