Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver

bekalc

Record Breaker
Really? Are they actively planning to get rid of their respective partners? I can't imagine that Maria is ready to retire, and isn't she considered the stronger of the two in that particular pair?

Tatiana's partner is 31, and he's ready to retire. He also believes in her talent, and has reportedly been talking about her getting a new partner for awhile. It's been out for awhile that she was getting someone new after the Olympics.

In Trankov's case, no Maria's not considered the strong partner. Many feel Trankov is the best male partner in the world. His missing the side by sides in the Olympic short was an utter fluke, the guy lands 3/3s in practice. She though until this season had issues with the side by side jumps, and even now it seems can't handle hard transitions etc. A lot of people have wanted the Tatiana/Maxim pairing for years.

As for Maria being ready to retire, I don't think that matters as much as what Maxim and Tatiana want. Maxim/Maria have never gotten along very well, nor does Oleg and Maxim. For example talk is he didn't want to skate to Love Story, that was her.
Now that the word is Tatiana, is getting a new partner, he may just decide that greener pastures is the way for him to go.

Last edited:

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Oh Come on Russia!!
You have to realize boosting PCS marks with steroids does not guarantee a medal, for God's sake.
What are you going to do? Exile them to Siberia? LOL

Last edited:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I sometimes get the impression that certain Russian officials and coaches are ..... delusional. Gold was never a realistic expectation and someone needs to slap Moskvina, hard, if she thought it was.
They were a solid possibility for bronze if they skated very well and the Germans or a Chinese team faltered. They should be happy with fourth. And .... who else does Moksvina (or the Russian federation in general) have in the pipeline? They're talking mighty tough for a federation that badly needs K/S.

Perhaps they're trying to keep K/S from realizing that at present the federation needs them more than the other way around?

I agree they should be happy with 4th - it was a generous placement considering how many mistakes they made. They should have been lower.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Will there be a change of partners after the Worlds? That's a good follow-up question.

Tatiana and Stansilav won't be at worlds, so she can compete for another country at Worlds next year. I don't know about Maria and Maxim.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
OK, I think the original poster somewhat misinterpreted the article. Let me translate it here to clear up any misunderstandings:
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/47351.html

As TIA has found out from reliable sources, Yuko Kavaguti, Alexander Smirnov nad Tamar Moskvina won’t be in Tver for the opening of the figure skating Russian Cup final. As the skater’s mom Tatiana Smirnova has said, the team is busy practicing for the World championships in Turin in late March.

In the morning of March second, Sasha and Yuko flew in to Saint Petersburg from Vancouver. According to Alexander Smirnov’s mom Tatiana Alekseenva, they were tired and disheartened; they got one good night of sleep and immediately started training, since there was no chance to train at the Olympics, so they lost a lot of precious time.

Here is what Tatiana Alekseevna had to say:
"Their coach Tamara Moskvina won’t let them come to Tver as that would make them lose even more time. They are slated to compete again on March 23rd.

My son called my yesterday morning, soon upon arriving. He was sad and disheartened. They’re blaming themselves for the loss, plus they have their coach’s pressure, plus the media is doing a real witch hunt. They are so sensitive to this negativity. As a mother, I always worry for my children. Sometimes they write things that make my hair stand on ends! They quote me out of context, so it seems like I’ve said something completely different. I get surprised, I didn’t say anything like that! I even declined to go on Malakhov’s program to avoid anything like that. It’s hard for them, especially for Yuko. They’re making a punching bag of here. I don’t think it’s fair. Fourth place is where they belonged. You can’t do anything about it. Instead of supporting them, they’ll be punished; I guess their salaries may be reduced. Nobody even remembers anymore that just a few months ago they became European champions, that it too Sasha 6 years to find a partner and that he’s only been skating with Yuko for 3 years. So it’s tough."

So, all she's saying about Moskvina is that she's putting pressure on them. My guess is she's putting pressure on them regarding their Worlds performance. They only ones Mrs. Smirnova accuses of "punishing" anyone is the media. They won't be in Tver not because of any "punishment" but because she doesn't want them to lose practice time; my guess is that Moskvina may not want them exposed to Russian media any more than absolutely necessary at this particular point.

Lightbulb

Rinkside
Will there be a change of partners after the Worlds? That's a good follow-up question.

Not really a partnership shake-up between K/S but allegedly, Russia has approached / will approach Tatiana Volosozhar to compete for Russia. To be paired with Maxim Trankov. Now, I only read this from a forum and from the many boards I have read, it seems I can't locate where I originally read this. :laugh: So this is not that reliable. Can someone please confirm this?

After the Olympics, I thought Volosozhar/Smirnov might be a good idea.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
Not really a partnership shake-up between K/S but allegedly, Russia has approached / will approach Tatiana Volosozhar to compete for Russia. To be paired with Maxim Trankov. Now, I only read this from a forum and from the many boards I have read, it seems I can't locate where I originally read this. :laugh: So this is not that reliable. Can someone please confirm this?

After the Olympics, I thought Volosozhar/Smirnov might be a good idea.

I don't know where the story comes from, but during the Olympics Gala the German Eurosport guys told it as well, in the context of the retirement of Morozov, and added that the newly formed pairs couple is supposed to be coached by Ingo Steuer. They didn't say anything about for which country they are going to start but I also think that it rather would be Russia than Ukraine. Tatiana and Maxim coached by Steuer would make a great team, IMO. :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't know where the story comes from, but during the Olympics Gala the German Eurosport guys told it as well, in the context of the retirement of Morozov, and added that the newly formed pairs couple is supposed to be coached by Ingo Steuer. They didn't say anything about for which country they are going to start but I also think that it rather would be Russia than Ukraine. Tatiana and Maxim coached by Steuer would make a great team, IMO. :)

Talk is that she's already left Steuer. If she skates for Russia, she won't be coached by him.

lavender

Record Breaker
I really like Tatiana so I hope that this is a good move for her. Since I could never seem to get into Stanislav as an on ice partner makes me glad for this news.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Even if Kavaguti/Smirnov got some good results, I've never seen them beeing able to be a great pair. Something just doesn't match between them.
A failed Barbie doll and a failed Macho working very hard. I'm sure their work ethic is just superb.
Unfortunately that is their best part.
Would be better to retire. I was very sorry of Yuko, when I've heard she gave up her Japanese citizenship. I had a feeling , it was a wrong step to take.

Volosozhar/Trankov can win in Sochi with some backwind...

jennylovskt

Medalist
So, all she's saying about Moskvina is that she's putting pressure on them. My guess is she's putting pressure on them regarding their Worlds performance. They only ones Mrs. Smirnova accuses of "punishing" anyone is the media. They won't be in Tver not because of any "punishment" but because she doesn't want them to lose practice time; my guess is that Moskvina may not want them exposed to Russian media any more than absolutely necessary at this particular point.

Thanks, Ptichka! This cleared something up. I thought it was strange to accuse Moskvina.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks, Ptichka! This cleared something up. I thought it was strange to accuse Moskvina.
Wanted to add one more thing after thinking about it. I'm sure Moskvina is blaming herself for this big time. What she's perhaps most famous for is priming her skaters to peak at just the right time. The only thing she ever accuses her students of is not working hard enough - and that is obviously not the issue with this team.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Volosozhar/Trankov can win in Sochi with some backwind...

If those two are as good together as they are good individually, I don't think it will take politics for them to win in Sochi. Although the political support in Sochi will help. However, its hard to know because sometimes a union that looks great on paper, can not work out so well in practice.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I understand K/S being upset at themselves for their mistakes, but I think perhaps they had expectations set slightly too high. I don't think a medal was impossible, but I agree with others who said that with S/Z, S/S, and P/T, just off the podium is where K/S were expected to place. Even if everyone had done their best.

I was actually surprised at NBC kind of hyping them up as the couple who could carry on the legacy at this Olympics.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wanted to add one more thing after thinking about it. I'm sure Moskvina is blaming herself for this big time. What she's perhaps most famous for is priming her skaters to peak at just the right time. The only thing she ever accuses her students of is not working hard enough - and that is obviously not the issue with this team.

Thanks for explaining this some more, Ptichka.

Ptichka, thank you so much for your expertise. I was extremely distressed to think of Moskvina behaving in a way that is really beneath her. She is someone I have always admired for her strength and her talent, and her contributions to world skating.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Don't get me wrong, I think Moskvina is also tough as nails. However, she's also very intelligent and practical. What purpose would come of beating K&S any more now? They'd only lose heart even more, and would be sure to bomb at Worlds. Moskvina is very results oriented. At this point, my guess is that she'd be more likely to build them up to get them to perform well at Worlds at least.

saltypig

Rinkside
If the Russian fed punishes them then K&S should skate for Japan. They would be the top Japanese pair for now as Takahashi and Tran are up and comers still.