Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    They did not skate up to standards but they knew it. They were visibly disappointed with their skate, I don't see why Tamara has to rub it in. I think the best thing to do in a situation like this is just forget about it and try to come back strong at worlds. They were never ever exactly Gold Medal favorites, so 4th place in not THAT disgraceful. I think the main problem was mis communication about the quad, they did not know if they were doing it or not until the warm up, when he obvioulsy got the memo they were doing it and she did not. After that it threw the whole program off.

I can't believe they're blaming the skaters. They were never favored to win OGM!

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    This is just so sad :( ..... Many naysayers can say what they want regarding Kavaguti/Smirnov, but I thought they were a really hard working team. I do agree that Kavaguti's feet are not pointed, but are Yu-na's feet pointed?? Also, Kavaguti will never ever be like Berezhnaya no matter how much she tries. If anything, Kavaguti needs to be herself and really improve within rather than trying to emulate Elena. Many people want to be like Michelle Kwan but do they ever turn out like her? Yu-na had the same dream and currently she is making a name for herself and younger girls are looking up to her.

What I feel that K/S need to improve in are their skating skills and choreography. Their sp is very graceful and sophisticated and their lp is a total opposite with a carnival-circus theme. Whenever i hear The Blue Danube, all I think of is Spongebob and him jellyfish-hunting ...... if K/S skate to a more sophisticated and mature lp, I really think they will be rewarded and will be on more podiums rather than off.

Medalist
    If it's true, this is just so wrong...
    I've always valued Tamara Moskvina as a coach, but I don't think I'll do it in the future. As much as I like this team, they were never really medal contenders, even with clean programs. It was clear that both chinese pairs and savchenko/szolkowy, with just a slightly better performance as on europeans, will finish before them (if no serious meltdown happen).
    It would be milion times better, if instead being mad at them, she would motivate them and help them to improve their weaknesses so they can shine next time. They already know that this wasn't their best performance, there is no need to punish them anymore.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivana View Post
    ...It would be milion times better, if instead being mad at them, she would motivate them and help them to improve their weaknesses so they can shine next time. They already know that this wasn't their best performance, there is no need to punish them anymore.
    ITA, and it would have helped if she had given them a decent LP instead of that ridiculous Viennese Waltz. :sheesh:

On a related note:

Russian Olympic Committee head resigns after flop

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100304/...leader_resigns

Leonid Tyagachev, a former sports minister, took over as head of the Russian Olympic Committee in 2001. In the wake of the Vancouver Games, President Dmitry Medvedev has warned that sports officials would be fired if they failed to resign voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I can't believe they're blaming the skaters. They were never favored to win OGM!
    I hadn't seen much of this Team before Vancouver and there SP really impressed me.
    But the LP - even aside from their mistakes was the least impressive I think I ever saw from a Moskvina team.

If there has to be blame it seems fair that it should be spread around a little bit. Hope they do better at Worlds........
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-04-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Well Kavaguti ,herself, always wanted to look exactly like Berezhnaya , even as a young'un skating for Japan , so we can't blame Moskvina entirely for that. It is a little creepy that she entered into the plan so wholeheartedly , though. At the end of the day , even the best copy is only an imitation , so I never like to see a skater being so closely modeled after someone else.

It makes me worry for skaters like Leonova and Borodulin, as well. Can they ever be the best that they can be, if they're trying to be just like someone else ? What natural ability, expression , etc. gets smothered in the process ?
    There is something to having a roll model to follow and K/S with Moskvina were ok for B/S but it should have been the basis for a growing style. K/S should have branched out on their own style, they didn't; so what we got was a less than perfect B/S. To make matters worse, they used the S/P music in Moskvina's kind of vengeful way.

I do find many Russian skaters having the same style of skating. Leonova is definitely a same style Irina and Borodulin is like every other young man in their men's division. What they need is a gimmick to separate them from the others and present a new look to the international community.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    They did not skate up to standards but they knew it. They were visibly disappointed with their skate, I don't see why Tamara has to rub it in. I think the best thing to do in a situation like this is just forget about it and try to come back strong at worlds. They were never ever exactly Gold Medal favorites, so 4th place in not THAT disgraceful. I think the main problem was mis communication about the quad, they did not know if they were doing it or not until the warm up, when he obvioulsy got the memo they were doing it and she did not. After that it threw the whole program off.
    I heard that Yuko knew it but could not switch her mind. Kind of confused, it seems.
    Last edited by Bennett; 03-04-2010 at 09:07 AM.

I've always admired Tamara, but if this is true, did she have to rub it in? They must feel bad enough about it. I like this team, but their performances just weren't up to the level of the top three pairs. I don't consider 4th place a disgrace. At any rate, I wish them well at Worlds.

A lot of people shifted for skating to tennis

The pay is higher and the publicity is greater

Interviews with both Tamara and Yuko.

In Russian and Japanese:
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/yukosasha/

Do you think that they'll be a World Champ some time?

T: I hope so and believe/trust them.
    March 1

(Asked about the difference in opinion about the quad at FS and their subsequent relationship)
    Y: We are fine. Tamara is my mom and there are times when we want to fight (laugh).
    Feb 25

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    We praise and reward athletes when they do well, so it's only fair we shame and punish them when they don't. It's not a coincidence that when a team loses, we say they got beaten, because back in the day, that's exactly what would happen to such laggards. Regular beatings would do wonders to cure skaters of all kinds of bad habits, from bad posture to incorrect jump entries. Of course, skaters are already used to pain, so one must keep that in mind and use proportionally greater force.

On the Ice
    I read the article from the link, and it doesn’t sound exactly as the first poster said.
    Yuko and Sasha were supposed to compete at the Cup of Russia Final in Tver, but Moskvina did not let them go to Tver. She (Tamara Moskvina) is pushing them to train for the World Championships because they lost a lot of training time staying at the Olympics after the competitions. The article says nothing about Tamara blaming them.
    As for “reducing their salary” – so far it’s only Sasha’s mother’s predictions, not what really has happened

Custom Title
    Just because you applaud someone's success it doesn't mean that if they don't live up to their own delusional expectations or even real expectations they should be shamed and punish in a sport. That doesn't even sound right.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast