Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Will there be a change of partners after the Worlds? That's a good follow-up question.
    Tatiana and Stansilav won't be at worlds, so she can compete for another country at Worlds next year. I don't know about Maria and Maxim.

OK, I think the original poster somewhat misinterpreted the article. Let me translate it here to clear up any misunderstandings:
    http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/47351.html

As TIA has found out from reliable sources, Yuko Kavaguti, Alexander Smirnov nad Tamar Moskvina won’t be in Tver for the opening of the figure skating Russian Cup final. As the skater’s mom Tatiana Smirnova has said, the team is busy practicing for the World championships in Turin in late March.

In the morning of March second, Sasha and Yuko flew in to Saint Petersburg from Vancouver. According to Alexander Smirnov’s mom Tatiana Alekseenva, they were tired and disheartened; they got one good night of sleep and immediately started training, since there was no chance to train at the Olympics, so they lost a lot of precious time.

Here is what Tatiana Alekseevna had to say:
    "Their coach Tamara Moskvina won’t let them come to Tver as that would make them lose even more time. They are slated to compete again on March 23rd.

My son called my yesterday morning, soon upon arriving. He was sad and disheartened. They’re blaming themselves for the loss, plus they have their coach’s pressure, plus the media is doing a real witch hunt. They are so sensitive to this negativity. As a mother, I always worry for my children. Sometimes they write things that make my hair stand on ends! They quote me out of context, so it seems like I’ve said something completely different. I get surprised, I didn’t say anything like that! I even declined to go on Malakhov’s program to avoid anything like that. It’s hard for them, especially for Yuko. They’re making a punching bag of here. I don’t think it’s fair. Fourth place is where they belonged. You can’t do anything about it. Instead of supporting them, they’ll be punished; I guess their salaries may be reduced. Nobody even remembers anymore that just a few months ago they became European champions, that it too Sasha 6 years to find a partner and that he’s only been skating with Yuko for 3 years. So it’s tough."

So, all she's saying about Moskvina is that she's putting pressure on them. My guess is she's putting pressure on them regarding their Worlds performance. They only ones Mrs. Smirnova accuses of "punishing" anyone is the media. They won't be in Tver not because of any "punishment" but because she doesn't want them to lose practice time; my guess is that Moskvina may not want them exposed to Russian media any more than absolutely necessary at this particular point.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Will there be a change of partners after the Worlds? That's a good follow-up question.
    Not really a partnership shake-up between K/S but allegedly, Russia has approached / will approach Tatiana Volosozhar to compete for Russia. To be paired with Maxim Trankov. Now, I only read this from a forum and from the many boards I have read, it seems I can't locate where I originally read this. So this is not that reliable. Can someone please confirm this?

After the Olympics, I thought Volosozhar/Smirnov might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Lightbulb; 03-05-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Not really a partnership shake-up between K/S but allegedly, Russia has approached / will approach Tatiana Volosozhar to compete for Russia. To be paired with Maxim Trankov. Now, I only read this from a forum and from the many boards I have read, it seems I can't locate where I originally read this. So this is not that reliable. Can someone please confirm this?

After the Olympics, I thought Volosozhar/Smirnov might be a good idea.
    I don't know where the story comes from, but during the Olympics Gala the German Eurosport guys told it as well, in the context of the retirement of Morozov, and added that the newly formed pairs couple is supposed to be coached by Ingo Steuer. They didn't say anything about for which country they are going to start but I also think that it rather would be Russia than Ukraine. Tatiana and Maxim coached by Steuer would make a great team, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by viv View Post
    I don't know where the story comes from, but during the Olympics Gala the German Eurosport guys told it as well, in the context of the retirement of Morozov, and added that the newly formed pairs couple is supposed to be coached by Ingo Steuer. They didn't say anything about for which country they are going to start but I also think that it rather would be Russia than Ukraine. Tatiana and Maxim coached by Steuer would make a great team, IMO.
    Talk is that she's already left Steuer. If she skates for Russia, she won't be coached by him.

Custom Title
    I really like Tatiana so I hope that this is a good move for her. Since I could never seem to get into Stanislav as an on ice partner makes me glad for this news.

Custom Title
    Even if Kavaguti/Smirnov got some good results, I've never seen them beeing able to be a great pair. Something just doesn't match between them.
    A failed Barbie doll and a failed Macho working very hard. I'm sure their work ethic is just superb.
    Unfortunately that is their best part.
    Would be better to retire. I was very sorry of Yuko, when I've heard she gave up her Japanese citizenship. I had a feeling , it was a wrong step to take.

Volosozhar/Trankov can win in Sochi with some backwind...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    So, all she's saying about Moskvina is that she's putting pressure on them. My guess is she's putting pressure on them regarding their Worlds performance. They only ones Mrs. Smirnova accuses of "punishing" anyone is the media. They won't be in Tver not because of any "punishment" but because she doesn't want them to lose practice time; my guess is that Moskvina may not want them exposed to Russian media any more than absolutely necessary at this particular point.
    Thanks, Ptichka! This cleared something up. I thought it was strange to accuse Moskvina.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Thanks, Ptichka! This cleared something up. I thought it was strange to accuse Moskvina.
    Wanted to add one more thing after thinking about it. I'm sure Moskvina is blaming herself for this big time. What she's perhaps most famous for is priming her skaters to peak at just the right time. The only thing she ever accuses her students of is not working hard enough - and that is obviously not the issue with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    Volosozhar/Trankov can win in Sochi with some backwind...
    If those two are as good together as they are good individually, I don't think it will take politics for them to win in Sochi. Although the political support in Sochi will help. However, its hard to know because sometimes a union that looks great on paper, can not work out so well in practice.

Custom Title
    I understand K/S being upset at themselves for their mistakes, but I think perhaps they had expectations set slightly too high. I don't think a medal was impossible, but I agree with others who said that with S/Z, S/S, and P/T, just off the podium is where K/S were expected to place. Even if everyone had done their best.

I was actually surprised at NBC kind of hyping them up as the couple who could carry on the legacy at this Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Wanted to add one more thing after thinking about it. I'm sure Moskvina is blaming herself for this big time. What she's perhaps most famous for is priming her skaters to peak at just the right time. The only thing she ever accuses her students of is not working hard enough - and that is obviously not the issue with this team.

Thanks for explaining this some more, Ptichka.

Custom Title
    Ptichka, thank you so much for your expertise. I was extremely distressed to think of Moskvina behaving in a way that is really beneath her. She is someone I have always admired for her strength and her talent, and her contributions to world skating.

Don't get me wrong, I think Moskvina is also tough as nails. However, she's also very intelligent and practical. What purpose would come of beating K&S any more now? They'd only lose heart even more, and would be sure to bomb at Worlds. Moskvina is very results oriented. At this point, my guess is that she'd be more likely to build them up to get them to perform well at Worlds at least.

Medalist
    If the Russian fed punishes them then K&S should skate for Japan. They would be the top Japanese pair for now as Takahashi and Tran are up and comers still.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast