Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov punishment for failure in Vancouver

zizi31

Rinkside
If the Russian fed punishes them then K&S should skate for Japan. They would be the top Japanese pair for now as Takahashi and Tran are up and comers still.

I'm not sure that they would be allowed to switch so easily. There's a lot of red tap surrounding nationality-switching, especially if you've competed at higher levels. Once a federation has invested a lot of $$$ in training skaters, they don't want them switching to represent another country, especially if they still have medal potential at major competitions.

chelseatatei

Spectator
Thank you for your accurate interpretation Pichka!

I watched their TV interview by Japanese media after FS. They looked dissapointed(especially Yuko) but relationhip between Yuko and Moskvina was very very heart-warming. Yuko cried when Moskvina said "In Russia's skating world, Yuko is my daughter...You always had to be strong to compete in Russia. You are a strong girl"(Moskvina encouraged dissapointed Yuko). Yuko said "My coach always believes me, still believes me and let me skate as I like. I am very happy to be coached by the best coach in the world."

So there is nothing to worry about. Yuko and Sasha just need to focus on training, shutting themselves from Russian media.

Fashionista

On the Ice
The first post in this thread is a crap. I wonder what's the point for pksandy post lie about Moskvina all over skating boards?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation Ptichka. And let's give K/S some credit - they just beat S/S at Europeans and it would be fair to think they could be on the podium. And if you're good enough to go for a medal, you're good enough to think you can win, regardless of plausibility or competition.

But I question this part from

The soviet methods have worked for decades. It'll work this time too. Their country just currently doesn't have the talents to be on the top.

The soviet methods worked in part because none of the coaches, etc left, right? I mean, the top five ice dance teams were all coached in part/in full by former Soviet skaters/coaches, but only one Russian team was present in that group. Does Morosov even have any Russian students? I think the era of Russian domination is over, but that always happens when a sport becomes increasingly popular elsewhere. That said, I agree with you wondering about K/S potential on the world level.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Soviet methods worked for decades in Soviet Union. They should not necessarily work for Russia. Russia needs to come up with good Russian methods. I've explained in other threads why I don't think Soviet methods work in a free and open society. The only way those methods can work again is for Russia to resemble Soviet Union even more than it does today. I'll take a mediocre skating program over that any day. Of course, there are thousands of young idiots who yearn for those "good old days" and don't think freedom is too high a price to pay to live in a superpower again.

pksandy

Spectator
hi fashionista, sorry if you misunderstood my point of view, I just wanted to give my opinion on that note, I read several Russian forum on this news, then decided to bring this note to the forum for everyone to comment on what happened, I just gave my opinion on the note, never sure that was true, for that reason I put the link, for everyone to be made of his own opinion, whether true or false, only yuko, sasha and Moskvina know, I just hope that they will do very well in turin and overlap in their disappointment in vancouver.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Pksandy, it's just that fashionista and I have apparently read the article in a very different way from you. Here's your take; here is mine. We do appreciate you giving a link, but most posters here, of course, can't read Russian. Once thing I learned long ago was to translate the articles I quote verbatim as much as possible rather than re-telling them in my own words. I've found that when I did the latter, someone would always attribute ulterior motives to me (a particular incident comes to mind when I was referring to an article about the Russian bank where skaters' money were deposited by the federation going belly up and skaters whose coaches weren't "in" with Piseev and Co. losing lots of money in the process).