Message from Yukari Nakano | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Message from Yukari Nakano

Ren

On the Ice
I watched Yukari's Giselle LP, and thought it looked quite similar to Katia Gordeeva's in 1996, when she competed as a pro. Did they have the same choreographer? Even their costumes and hair adornment looked similar...

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am a bit surprised that she withdrew from her 4CC and Worlds and retired.
I wonder if she didn't want to complete at these competitions any longer or the injury was the only reason.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just wishing a successful second career. I hope she knows how many people enjoyed her performances and will miss her. Me Too.

saltypig

Rinkside
Thank you Yukari for entertaining skating fans around the world. You'll certainly be missed by your fans especially me! Your triple axel, dazzling spins and infectious smile won't be forgotten. Best of luck in your new career.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I didn't expect that I would feel this much emptiness by Yukari's retirement .... she was not my most favorite but surely I wanted her to shine in the coming Worlds.

It's also surprising to me that Olys means so much to many skaters than Worlds .... well it was too cruel for Japanese lady skaters .... the disappointment could have been Akiko's .... and Fumie, she hung around for so long just to get another shot in Vancouver.

I hope Yukari makes a big comeback soon!!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I didn't expect that I would feel this much emptiness by Yukari's retirement .... she was not my most favorite but surely I wanted her to shine in the coming Worlds.

It's also surprising to me that Olys means so much to many skaters than Worlds .... well it was too cruel for Japanese lady skaters .... the disappointment could have been Akiko's .... and Fumie, she hung around for so long just to get another shot in Vancouver.

I hope Yukari makes a big comeback soon!!

I don't think Yukari would ever come back. It would take her to quit the new job and practice harder.

Fumie --- She won Silver at 2006 Worlds after Torino, which few ppl paid attention to then or remember now. She was 8th at 2009 Worlds, which was the same placement with Akiko's at Oly. But again few ppl paid attention to it then or remember it now. I agree with you that Olympics are a lot more special than Worlds in terms of the level of acknowledgment both in the skating world and in the general public. Yet, she has had among the most decorated careers for such a long time.

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
I really hoped she would go to World Ch this year, and maybe even medal! It would be so cool after 2008 disappointment. I wanted to see the Firebird skated to a full potential. I loved that program and I really enjoyed Yukari's skating. I dont care about the leg wrap!
I will miss her.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
It's a shame that she never got to go to the Olympic since it was a dream of hers since childhood. Had she skated for any other country, she mostly likely would have been able to. Farewell and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I have found Yukari lovely to watch. I agree with all those who say she will be missed. May she have success and pleasure in her new career. :love:

Mafke

Medalist
She was repeatedly underscored. Anybody knows why?

The Japanese federation plays favorites pretty outrageously. She was never a favorite and so she kept getting the shaft (or no special consideration) in favor of skaters the Japanese federation had invested more in (even if they were often less consistent than Nakano). If anything, the fact that she could often show up the favorites worked against her. She was probably regarded as a troublemaker. The progress she made from her first appearance at Skate America to her final competitive season are an inspiration and an abject lesson. Sometimes it isn't about the skating at all.

I won't say that the leg wrap never bothered me, but I will say that the results of 2008 worlds should stand in infamy as exhibit number one in the failings of CoP. A delightful, daring program that was clearly the class of the night that was brutally underscored due to 'errors' that many experts present could not see with the naked eye in real time.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The Japanese federation plays favorites pretty outrageously. She was never a favorite and so she kept getting the shaft (or no special consideration) in favor of skaters the Japanese federation had invested more in (even if they were often less consistent than Nakano). If anything, the fact that she could often show up the favorites worked against her. She was probably regarded as a troublemaker. The progress she made from her first appearance at Skate America to her final competitive season are an inspiration and an abject lesson. Sometimes it isn't about the skating at all.

I won't say that the leg wrap never bothered me, but I will say that the results of 2008 worlds should stand in infamy as exhibit number one in the failings of CoP. A delightful, daring program that was clearly the class of the night that was brutally underscored due to 'errors' that many experts present could not see with the naked eye in real time.

I have to agree and I always that Yukari should have medaled at '08 Worlds.
But the Cop felt otherwise - despite the fact that on that evening Yukari skated circles around the others.

Bennett

Record Breaker

I do not know if JSF is the one to be blamed. They invited Nakano to NHK often. She is not a type of skater who can be commentators' favorite, for example. She did not have good basics in her jumps, steps, or skaking skills or have good stretch or extention. Her spins are truly outstanding and her presentation was beautiful. But the relatively poor basics in other things would not have helped her.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I'm going to be brutally honest, I'm still pissed off at the JSF & their treatment of this wonderful young lady, overlooked both times to go to the Olympics. Instead, Fumie Suguri gets to go again & again, and then Miki Ando totally wipes the floor in 2006. And now Akiko.

Bull caca, bull caca, I hope karma bites the JSF big time!

I don't have to be politically correct, which is why I love these boards, I can say whatever the heck I want, and there isn't a damn thing any of the bigshots in skating can do about it. Here's me sticking my middle finger up. ;)

sorcerer

Final Flight
... I'm still pissed off at the JSF & their treatment of this wonderful young lady, overlooked both times to go to the Olympics....
JSF is not to be blamed for this.
The fact that only 3 could go is to be blamed.

Worlds was a chance JSF gave Yukari in a very fair fashion.
Be it injury or motivation or both that kept her from going to Torino this time, it's not JSF's fault.
We all wanted to see her badly at Worlds. JSF knew it very well, IMO.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well I'm going to be brutally honest, I'm still pissed off at the JSF & their treatment of this wonderful young lady, overlooked both times to go to the Olympics. Instead, Fumie Suguri gets to go again & again, and then Miki Ando totally wipes the floor in 2006. And now Akiko.

To be fair to Fumie, she finished first in both the 01-02 and the 05-06 Japanese Nationals which likely meant that she was the best chance to medal at both Olympics.

And finishing in the top five in both is not easy feat in itself.

Bennett

Record Breaker

Bull caca, bull caca, I hope karma bites the JSF big time!

I don't have to be politically correct, which is why I love these boards, I can say whatever the heck I want, and there isn't a damn thing any of the bigshots in skating can do about it. Here's me sticking my middle finger up. ;)

Fumie went to the Olympics because she was that competitive. She came in 5th at 2002 Olympics. She also medaled at 2002 and 2003 Worlds. She came in 4th at 2006 Olympics. Some ppl even thought that she should have been on the podium at the 2006 Olympics. She also won Silver at 2006 Worlds.

After the slump, she made the 2009 Worlds again because she was 2nd at Nationals, after medaling at both GP events. At the 2009 Worlds, she came in 8th with a broken bone (she didn't know that it was broken).

Yukari couldn't make the 2009 Worlds team because she came in 5th at Nationals despite making the podium at two GP events.

The ticket to the 2006 Olympics was a lot more controversial with Miki's poor season. But Yukari came in 5th at Nationals and Miki was 6th, with Mao = ineligible and Yoshie Onda placing 4th. Yoshie had a lot stronger competitive records in previous seasons than Yukari did. If not Miki, it could have been Yoshie.

I agree that it is the three spots that should be blamed for Yukari's not making the team. She also peaked at a bad timing, but Fumie did so even more often (i.e., medaling at Worlds three times but not at the Olympics, and making the 2009 Worlds team but not the 2010 Olympic team).

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
What I never liked about Fumie Suguri is that she always had the easiest jumps out of all her countrywomen. I remember keeping stats of all the women, not just the Japanese & Americans, et al, I mean ALL of them, and Fumie not *once* tried a 3/3 combo. in competition. Heck, I don't even think she tried 7 triples. And I'm one that has never considered her & her programs artistic, no way, bowed legs, poor posture, mediocrity. The only thing I ever liked about her skating was the height of her jumps. I consider her an average skater, no standout qualities whatsoever, either athletically or artistically. As happens with most skaters, she medalled when others better than her failed, so I give her kudos for playing it safe & being relatively consistent. Sometimes that kind of skating even wins competitions, especially when one is goodlooking. *wink*

One last note, this whole situation this past year with Yukari Nakano & the JSF has caused me to look at the JSF, et al, in the future, with a jaded eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bennett

Record Breaker
What I never liked about Fumie Suguri is that she always had the easiest jumps out of all her countrywomen. I remember keeping stats of all the women, not just the Japanese & Americans, et al, I mean ALL of them, and Fumie not *once* tried a 3/3 combo. in competition. Heck, I don't even think she tried 7 triples. And I'm one that has never considered her & her programs artistic, no way, bowed legs, poor posture, mediocrity. The only thing I ever liked about her skating was the height of her jumps. I consider her an average skater, no standout qualities whatsoever, either athletically or artistically. As happens with most skaters, she medalled when others better than her failed, so I give her kudos for playing it safe & being relatively consistent. Sometimes that kind of skating even wins competitions, especially when one is goodlooking. *wink*

One last note, this whole situation this past year with Yukari Nakano & the JSF One last note, this whole situation this past year with Yukari Nakano & the JSF has caused me to look at the JSF, et al, in the future, with a jaded eye..

Could you please explain what specific unfair treatments you think Yukari Nakano has received from the JSF this past year?

Last edited by a moderator: