Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Could a perfect Midori have beaten a perfect Yuna?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    You can't compare situations in the past. Midori and Kristi both flutzed, something that was NOT punished in 6.0 times, so Mao would have kept her flutz and been fine. Also Kristi had issues with the 3sal, and I think she only landed one triple sal, her entire Senior career. Most of the time she'd double it..

If Yu-na was competiting in 6.0, she'd probably always "attempt" the triple loop and just double it a lot. Or, I think in Yu-na's case, she attempt it more and it would be a bit more consistent because Kim can do the 3loop in practice.

But the idea that Kristi would have attempted her 3sal under IJS. :lol:
    Ok. But that just goes to show how comparing across different eras is hard because of the different rules.

Tripping on the Podium
    I know Kristi landed the salchow more than once (at least twice from my memory: the nationals before her Olympic win and one time before when she was wearing a turquoise dress). Also, did Midori really flutz? I've never heard that before...

Yeah, I don't think Midori flutzed? She had a leg wrap, though not as bad as Yukari's, but wasn't it a lutz?

Check it out (00:19):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hupxBUve6Q
    Last edited by hurrah; 03-05-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Midori flutzed? She had a leg wrap, though not as bad as Yukari's, but wasn't it a lutz?

That's a massive lutz. Never seen any girl does lutz like that.

Custom Title
    Midori flutzed, so she wouldn't get high GOES on her 3lutzs. But other than that at this point Midori would have been more competitive with Yu-na than Mao because Midori had other jumps to back her up, instead of just the 3axel. However, if Midori couldnt' manage to beat Kristi....
    What gives you the idea that Midori flutzed? She had the deep outside edge going into the jump. Watch again.
    If anything, she slightly lip earlier in her career, but appeared to fix it later.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post

Amazing 3A.... beats a lot of men :<

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Amazing 3A.... beats a lot of men :<
    Better triple axel than ALL men's axels in the 2010 Olympics. =). OMG> That's a +3 GOE.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    However, if Midori couldnt' manage to beat Kristi....
    Oh please. I'm so tired of this notion.

Midori beat Kristi at 1989 Worlds, 1990 Worlds, and 4 out of 5 times they met at Grand Prix events. Midori also competed at the Senior level and gave lots of amazing performances for 5 entire seasons before Yamaguchi entered the scene.

Custom Title
    Midori flutzed, so she wouldn't get high GOES on her 3lutzs.
    Since when? Proof please. There's no need to spew regurgitated info you may have gleaned from other "sources" and pass it off as the truth.

I think anybody (not just Yu-Na) would have had a hard time beating a perfect Midori. She was pretty much built for CoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Since when? Proof please. There's no need to spew regurgitated info you may have gleaned from other "sources" and pass it off as the truth.

I think anybody (not just Yu-Na) would have had a hard time beating a perfect Midori. She was pretty much built for CoP.
    For some reason I thought I heard Midori flutzed, oh well. But in the case of Midori beating a clean Yu-na I think Midori could because her jumps were amazing.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Only edge Ito would have against Kim would be her big jumps.
    Kim would be better in every other elements and program components.
    Also, Ito had an ugly leg wrap and wildness in her skating which threw her over the boards into a camera pit.

Besides, what is the point of discussing so-called PERFECT performance from a skater who had her best trick desert her during the most important competition?
    I don't want to be mean, but facts speak for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Only edge Ito would have against Kim would be her big jumps.
    Kim would be better in every other elements and program components.
    Also, Ito had an ugly leg wrap and wildness in her skating which threw her over the boards into a camera pit.

Besides, what is the point of discussing so-called PERFECT performance from a skater who had her best trick desert her during the most important competition?
    I don't want to be mean, but facts speak for itself.
    Agree. Winning in a figure skating competition, especially the Olympics, is not exactly like one Pokemon beating another. It takes the lion heart of a champion, and Yuna just proved she has one.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    Agree. Winning in a figure skating competition, especially the Olympics, is not exactly like one Pokemon beating another. It takes the lion heart of a champion, and Yuna just proved she has one.
    Pokemon? Well, Olympics is just another competition after all. Not all Oly winners could be called great champions in my opinion (Sarah hughes?). There is also an aspect of luck in it, and I think Midori didn't have it on that night.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Pokemon? Well, Olympics is just another competition after all. Not all Oly winners could be called great champions in my opinion (Sarah hughes?). There is also an aspect of luck in it, and I think Midori didn't have it on that night.
    You are right . Midori fell twice in '92 and that darn Sarah refused to fall in 2002.

There is luck - and there is also an abilty to handle pressure.
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Midori also had the bad "luck" to be on practice sessions with Surya Bonaly who happened to do a back flip right in front of Midori while Midori's music was running on a practice session where she'd been doing the 3A+3T which freaked her out. Wonder why she fell during the competition?!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast