Could a perfect Midori have beaten a perfect Yuna? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Could a perfect Midori have beaten a perfect Yuna?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
However, if Midori couldnt' manage to beat Kristi....

Oh please. I'm so tired of this notion.

Midori beat Kristi at 1989 Worlds, 1990 Worlds, and 4 out of 5 times they met at Grand Prix events. Midori also competed at the Senior level and gave lots of amazing performances for 5 entire seasons before Yamaguchi entered the scene.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Midori flutzed, so she wouldn't get high GOES on her 3lutzs.

Since when? Proof please. There's no need to spew regurgitated info you may have gleaned from other "sources" and pass it off as the truth.

I think anybody (not just Yu-Na) would have had a hard time beating a perfect Midori. She was pretty much built for CoP.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Since when? Proof please. There's no need to spew regurgitated info you may have gleaned from other "sources" and pass it off as the truth.

I think anybody (not just Yu-Na) would have had a hard time beating a perfect Midori. She was pretty much built for CoP.

For some reason I thought I heard Midori flutzed, oh well. But in the case of Midori beating a clean Yu-na I think Midori could because her jumps were amazing.

RumbleFish

Rinkside

Only edge Ito would have against Kim would be her big jumps.
Kim would be better in every other elements and program components.
Also, Ito had an ugly leg wrap and wildness in her skating which threw her over the boards into a camera pit.

Besides, what is the point of discussing so-called PERFECT performance from a skater who had her best trick desert her during the most important competition?
I don't want to be mean, but facts speak for itself.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Only edge Ito would have against Kim would be her big jumps.
Kim would be better in every other elements and program components.
Also, Ito had an ugly leg wrap and wildness in her skating which threw her over the boards into a camera pit.

Besides, what is the point of discussing so-called PERFECT performance from a skater who had her best trick desert her during the most important competition?
I don't want to be mean, but facts speak for itself.
Agree. Winning in a figure skating competition, especially the Olympics, is not exactly like one Pokemon beating another. It takes the lion heart of a champion, and Yuna just proved she has one.

miki88

Medalist
Agree. Winning in a figure skating competition, especially the Olympics, is not exactly like one Pokemon beating another. It takes the lion heart of a champion, and Yuna just proved she has one.

Pokemon? :laugh: Well, Olympics is just another competition after all. Not all Oly winners could be called great champions in my opinion (Sarah hughes?). There is also an aspect of luck in it, and I think Midori didn't have it on that night.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Pokemon? :laugh: Well, Olympics is just another competition after all. Not all Oly winners could be called great champions in my opinion (Sarah hughes?). There is also an aspect of luck in it, and I think Midori didn't have it on that night.

You are right . Midori fell twice in '92 and that darn Sarah refused to fall in 2002. ;)

There is luck - and there is also an abilty to handle pressure.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Midori also had the bad "luck" to be on practice sessions with Surya Bonaly who happened to do a back flip right in front of Midori while Midori's music was running on a practice session where she'd been doing the 3A+3T which freaked her out. Wonder why she fell during the competition?!

gio

Medalist
You can't compare situations in the past. Midori and Kristi both flutzed, something that was NOT punished in 6.0 times, so Mao would have kept her flutz and been fine.

Midori and Kristi did not flutz.

Midori (and also Tonya) had textbook jumps. Kristi too had good jumps.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Midori also had the bad "luck" to be on practice sessions with Surya Bonaly who happened to do a back flip right in front of Midori while Midori's music was running on a practice session where she'd been doing the 3A+3T which freaked her out. Wonder why she fell during the competition?!

I remember that but forgot which year it was. I also rememeber the bad collision - maybe at 1990 Wolrds when Midori lost to Jill (after again coming in 10th in the compulsaries).

Midori was also under such incredible pressure in '92. Her coach changed her 3A to a 3Lz in the short and she fell on it - a jump she rarely missed. There are always factors these skaters face at the big competitions. Dealing with them is sometimes what separates the winner from the others.

We can say Michelle had bad luck in '98. But ultimately Michelle's bad luck turned out to be named Tara.

Last edited:

key65man

Rinkside
Yu-Na will beat Midori. Midori's GoE for jump will not be higher than that of Yu-Na's as Yu-Na has the height and distance. Yu-Na's entrance would be, if not better, as good as Midori's (I will absolutely vote for Yu-Na's). Midori, however, will get more points for 3A related jumps. Nevertheless, Yu-Na will easily top Midori on other elements such as spin, spiral, steps, etc., let alone PCS. Also, I think Yu-Na is faster than Midori, which should be a factor.

Yu-Na is not as great a jumper as Midori. She is not as dramatic as Witt. Nor is she as graceful as Kwan. But, Yu-Na is pretty much most versatile among the ones I have seen. She is pretty much unbeatable under the current system that emphasizes the whole package.

I am not sure what happened to her 3A. All I heard was she got injured practicing 3A.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Yu-Na will beat Midori. Midori's GoE for jump will not be higher than that of Yu-Na's as Yu-Na has the height and distance. Yu-Na's entrance would be, if not better, as good as Midori's (I will absolutely vote for Yu-Na's). Midori, however, will get more points for 3A related jumps. Nevertheless, Yu-Na will easily top Midori on other elements such as spin, spiral, steps, etc., let alone PCS. Also, I think Yu-Na is faster than Midori, which should be a factor.

Yu-Na is not as great a jumper as Midori. She is not as dramatic as Witt. Nor is she as graceful as Kwan. But, Yu-Na is pretty much most versatile among the ones I have seen. She is pretty much unbeatable under the current system that emphasizes the whole package.

I am not sure what happened to her 3A. All I heard was she got injured practicing 3A.

Maybe. But who's to say that these past skaters wouldn't have worked on these things if they competed under the new system. But one thing I think these past skaters have over the new ones including Yuna is a sense of orginality, and I think it's a drawback of CoP, since every element has to be perfect and balanced.

key65man

Rinkside
Maybe. But who's to say that these past skaters wouldn't have worked on these things if they competed under the new system. But one thing I think these past skaters have over the new ones including Yuna is a sense of orginality, and I think it's a drawback of CoP, since every element has to be perfect and balanced.

One can argue Yu-Na could have done something else with the presence of Midori. Just comparing the two at their greatest height without what-if's. I will just say, if Midori could have improved the other elements, she would have back then and won them all. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Kristi too had good jumps.

Disagree. She had (relatively) consisent jumps. Her Double Axel and Triple Toeloop were good but her Lutz and Flip were tiny and barely made the rotation. If she competed under CoP, she would probably use the exact same jump layout Yu-Na used this season (except with a Triple Loop instead of a Triple Salchow), but her +GOE wouldn't be nearly as high.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
COP or not COP, there is one thing that don't change in figure skating. It's a sporting discipline which requires bone-breaking hard work, but also demands skaters to reach such a level of technical mastery that they can finally blossom into an otherworldy state of serenity and joy.

Midori's jumps are amazing feats, but 'not quite high enough' from this standard; what people want to see is that a skater lifts herself so high and beyond so that we experience this strange thing called "beauty," which is not exactly the physical beauty of the skater, nor her lines, nor just musicality. And 'artistry' is too flat a word to describe it and does not include the dimension of pain and hard work which is another face of this skating beauty. Yuna personifies this lift, toward sublimation, for me and I saw Kwan lifting herself that way sometimes too. But, I personally don't feel it with Witt or other skating greats.

miki88

Medalist
COP or not COP, there is one thing that don't change in figure skating. It's a sporting discipline which requires bone-breaking hard work, but also demands skaters to reach such a level of technical mastery that they can finally blossom into an otherworldy state of serenity and joy.

Midori's jumps are amazing feats, but 'not quite high enough' from this standard; what people want to see is that a skater lifts herself so high and beyond so that we experience this strange thing called "beauty," which is not exactly the physical beauty of the skater, nor her lines, nor just musicality. And 'artistry' is too flat a word to describe it and does not include the dimension of pain and hard work which is another face of this skating beauty. Yuna personifies this lift, toward sublimation, for me and I saw Kwan lifting herself that way sometimes too. But, I personally don't feel it with Witt or other skating greats.

But that's just a subjective view though. One skater appeals to some people, but another skater will appeal to other people. For me, Yuna doesn't do it, though I admire her qualities, but I feel it with Kwan, Janet Lynn, and Mao sometimes. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

verysmuchso

On the Ice
But that's just a subjective view though. One skater appeals to some people, but another skater will appeal to other people. For me, Yuna doesn't do it, though I admire her qualities, but I feel it with Kwan, Janet Lynn, and Mao sometimes. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

I think Mao could become an amazing, amazing skater, but, for now, what seems to stop her is that when she is on the ice, she is too much "here and now," too much in her own situation and reality. Like, I can almost read her mind, her worries, anxieties, and I can even see her planning for the next move on the ice. Whereas some few lucky skaters seem to be able to triumph over it, or make it seem so, and my poor jaw drops.

prettykeys

Medalist

Thank you for your insights! I agree with you. It is really something when I see a skater self-actualize. YuNa is the only skater I have followed for long enough to see this process as it happens...I agree that she transcended something that Midori didn't (from my eyes.) Having said that, Midori at her absolute best would likely beat everyone + a couple of guys.

I think Mao will reach that level, too. Right now, she seems to be in a transition phase but I hope she finds herself, because she will probably be magnificent.