The "Future" of Figure Skating: 2014 Olympic Podium Threats (Ladies) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "Future" of Figure Skating: 2014 Olympic Podium Threats (Ladies)

christinaskater

Medalist
The russian girls are bringing the triple lutz-triple toe! This will be a must in Sochi! I agree a lot of them are amazing, but the key is how they cope up with puberty

I think MIRAI has just been crowned as the next "QUEEN"! Let's see if she lives up to the hype!

I mean 4th with a score of 190 in your first major event which is the biggest of all is something else! The judges love her style, polish, jumps, musicality, charm and her spins!

The key for MIRAI is to master the triple lutz-triple toe or triple flip-triple toe!

christinaskater

Medalist
IT's great to see the influence of Yu-Na, Mao, Mirai, Caroline, Carolina, Sasha, Michelle and Irina to the Russian girls and the girls of the world! Level up!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The Russian girls must have crazy intense coaches or just be really, really driven to be that good at a young age. I mean, Polina Shelepen's ISU bio says she skates 42 hours a week (no wonder she's so skinny) and all of Anna's jumps come out of really difficult transitions and footwork which is intense considering she's 13 and didn't even get most of her triples until recently. As for Agafonova, that layback is insane, it might even trump Mirai and Caroline's!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sarah Hecken? She just finished 12th at Worlds and can do 3-3 and is only 16. Don't know much else about her, though. Anyone think she could be a force in the future?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I like Sarah.. she might be

Me too :), I think she has a future ahead of her, at least on the European stage judging by how unpredictable most of those ladies are :eek:. I'm also impressed with her consistency in the LP considering she is so young and also quite tall! I was feeling the Irina Slutskaya music yesterday too :agree:

Cerulean

Rinkside
What about Miki Ando? Would she be too old?

I kind of like her because she has moxy and I think it takes someone special not to give up when someone younger overshadows you and gets all the attention.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What about Miki Ando? Would she be too old?

I kind of like her because she has moxy and I think it takes someone special not to give up when someone younger overshadows you and gets all the attention.

Idk. I kind of feel like Miki is past her peak, but maybe she'll get a second wind or something? I think the Russians will be a force to be reckoned with in a few years. I don't see their coaches letting puberty get the best of them.

janetfan

Match Penalty

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thanks for the clip. A cute skater, she reminds me of Tinkerbell from "Peter Pan." :)
The fact that such a young skater could win Russian Natls might say more about the Russian senior ladies though, no?

True. This girl is special though, very elegant and balletic. Haha yeah she does kind of look like tinkerbell :)

berrycute

On the Ice
There's also Beata Papp, from Finland. She used to compete for Canada and made something of an impression there.
I LOVE Polina A's layback spin, but she does look like a baby and I worry that as time goes on she will end up like Caroline Zhang. Anna cuts a more glamorous figure perhaps, and Liza T shows a lot of promise. I think it's very possible Russia will go back to dominating Europeans in the lady's field.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There's also Beata Papp, from Finland. She used to compete for Canada and made something of an impression there.
I LOVE Polina A's layback spin, but she does look like a baby and I worry that as time goes on she will end up like Caroline Zhang. Anna cuts a more glamorous figure perhaps, and Liza T shows a lot of promise. I think it's very possible Russia will go back to dominating Europeans in the lady's field.

Beta Papp didn't do that great at Junior Worlds, but I agree she has potential and some nice qualities. Polina A I think will switch to pairs eventually, apparently a coach has her eye on her because she's so little (her feet are huge though so maybe she won't stay that small?) and already wants her to do pairs. Anna does have the desired figure and good extensions, jumps, etc I think the thing with her is will she get really tall and if she does will that hurt her consistency. Polina S I'm not as impressed with as some of the other girls but she seems really driven and has some impressive jumps, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up a contender in the future just through being a workhorse. I have a feeling puberty will hit her hard though so we'll have to see. Liza has great technique and if she can become more consistent I think she could potentially be the best Russian lady of all. Adelina I also really like but she seems to be going through a phase where she's growing really fast and falling a lot, hopefully, she will adjust soon and continue to impress us with her beautiful skating.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Next, there is the battle of the mini-Yunas :laugh: : Min-Jung Kwak vs Christina Gao. They are a month apart in age (Kwak just turned 16 and Gao turns 16 in a few days) and I think they both have tremendous potential and if Kwak ends up training with Orser full time (she is in Toronto now with Yuna training with Orser until Worlds :agree:) I think she could be great.

You are forgetting the other mini-Yuna! Kwak didn't actually win the South Korean Figure Skating Championships... she came in 2nd, 12 points behind the 1st place finisher who was too young to compete in the Olympics. Why? She is only 12! But she will be old enough to compete in 2014. Her name is Haejin Kim (even the same surname as Yu-Na hehe). I think if she gets through her growth spurt, she will be Korea's next powerhouse skater.

Her SP components at her 2nd competition ever (the Korean Championships): 3F, 3Lz+2T, FCSp3, SlSt3, SpSq4, LSp4, 2A, CCoSp4... 54.23 (33.93/20.30) vs. Kwak 46.23 (26.48/19.75)
FS components: SpSq4, 3F, 3Lo, CCoSp5, 3Lz, 3Lz+2T, LSp4, 2A, FCSp3, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 3T, SlSt3 94.55 (50.90/43.65) vs. Kwak 88.00 (46.00/42.00)

At 12 years old, she already has PCS scores higher than 16-year old Kwak. If Haejin Kim isn't a great skater in the making, I don't know who or what is.

For Japan, it's fairly obvious that it will be Murakami.

The Russian pixies as well.

For the US, Mirai, Christine and Agnes Zawadzki (I think Rachael will disappear into college before 2014)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You are forgetting the other mini-Yuna! Kwak didn't actually win the South Korean Figure Skating Championships... she came in 2nd, 12 points behind the 1st place finisher who was too young to compete in the Olympics. Why? She is only 12! But she will be old enough to compete in 2014. Her name is Haejin Kim (even the same surname as Yu-Na hehe). I think if she gets through her growth spurt, she will be Korea's next powerhouse skater.

Her SP components at her 2nd competition ever (the Korean Championships): 3F, 3Lz+2T, FCSp3, SlSt3, SpSq4, LSp4, 2A, CCoSp4... 54.23 (33.93/20.30) vs. Kwak 46.23 (26.48/19.75)
FS components: SpSq4, 3F, 3Lo, CCoSp5, 3Lz, 3Lz+2T, LSp4, 2A, FCSp3, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 3T, SlSt3 94.55 (50.90/43.65) vs. Kwak 88.00 (46.00/42.00)

At 12 years old, she already has PCS scores higher than 16-year old Kwak. If Haejin Kim isn't a great skater in the making, I don't know who or what is.

For Japan, it's fairly obvious that it will be Murakami.

The Russian pixies as well.

For the US, Mirai, Christine and Agnes Zawadzki (I think Rachael will disappear into college before 2014)

That young Korean girl is promising too, but she is so young I think we'll have to wait a few years before we know more about her. I like Kiri Baga, Angela Maxwell, and Amanda Dobbs of the US as well.

Oh, and I think Kwak did not skate very well at Korean Nationals because her scores at the Olympic qualifier in November were significantly higher, and then also at 4CC and Olympics.

dlgpffps

Final Flight

Nationals Champion at the age 12? You know who that reminds me of? Yu-na! I must look out for her. Do you know where I can find videos?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How things change in four years...

Top 10 in 2006
Shizuka Arakawa
Sasha Cohen
Irina Slutskaya
Fumie Suguri
Joannie Rochette
Kimmie Meissner
Emily Hughes
Sarah Meier
Carolina Kostner
Elene Gedevanishvili

Out of those...
TWO of them were retired by 2010.
ONE (Sasha Cohen, of course) attempted to comeback and make the 2010 Olympic team.
FOUR (Cohen, Fumie, Emily and Kimmie) did not make the Olympic team.
And only ONE (Joannie Rochette) improved on their ranking between 2006 and 2010.
The other THREE returning skaters from 2006 (Gedevanishvilli, Kostner and Meier) all did worse.

Also..here's the top 10 from SLC
Sarah Hughes
Irina Slutskaya
Michelle Kwan
Sasha Cohen
Fumie Suguri
Maria Butyrskaya
Jennifer Robinson
Julia Sebestyen
Viktoria Volchkova
Silvia Fontana

Out of that list...
THREE (Hughes, Butyrskaya and Robinson) were retired by the 2006 Olympics.
TWO (Kwan and Volchkova) qualified to return the 2006 Olympics, but did not compete due to injury.
TWO (Cohen and Suguri) improved on their ranking at the 2006 Olympics.
THREE (Fontana, Slutskaya and Sebestyen) got a lower ranking at the 2006 Olympics.

Point is that a lot can happen in four years. I think it's likely that the people we'll see on the podium in 2014 will likely be people who didn't compete at the senior level this year. BUT the past records also show that a skater who is able to be persistent can certainly improve on their second Olympics. (Mirai is a good candidate for this).