Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The "Future" of Figure Skating: 2014 Olympic Podium Threats (Ladies)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Mishin said something really funny in an interview once. Something like Russian girls are not built to be dainty skaters. They are better suited for working on the railroad. I'm paraphrasing and might have mucked up the translation but I thought it was hilarious.

Anyway, Elizaveta looks to be an experiment right now. Although if she's successful people can start calling her Queen Tukt.
    I think in general this is true, and that is why we see so many great female Russians skaters be so great when they are 12 and then disappear by the time they are old enough to go to Olympics and worlds; because puberty is too hard on them and their bodies change a lot. I think Asians are coming to dominate the sport because they are generally small and light, and in a sport where jumps, number of revolutions, and bending yourself in half are so important, this helps. Many European and American skaters struggle because they become too tall, too muscular, too heavy, too hippy, etc. Not all successful skaters are the same build but I think skaters like Joannie, Irina, Rachael can get away with being stronger builds because they are short and Carolina and Kiira can get away with being tall because they are skinny. Most of the asian skaters are tall enough to have the desired long lines but are not actually tall and weigh very little but are still strong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think in general this is true, and that is why we see so many great female Russians skaters be so great when they are 12 and then disappear by the time they are old enough to go to Olympics and worlds; because puberty is too hard on them and their bodies change a lot. I think Asians are coming to dominate the sport because they are generally small and light, and in a sport where jumps, number of revolutions, and bending yourself in half are so important, this helps. Many European and American skaters struggle because they become too tall, too muscular, too heavy, too hippy, etc. Not all successful skaters are the same build but I think skaters like Joannie, Irina, Rachael can get away with being stronger builds because they are short and Carolina and Kiira can get away with being tall because they are skinny. Most of the asian skaters are tall enough to have the desired long lines but are not actually tall and weigh very little but are still strong.
    Yeah... I read something in an article that's like, slimmer hips help skaters "cut" through the air during jumps or something? Thus, due to the increased focus on technical details, the ideal build is small(less weight) and slim.

I see the situation more as:

The Vets:
    Yu-Na Kim
    Mao Asada
    Laura Lepisto
    Akiko Suzuki

The Powers
    super-powers (ala Kim, Asada)
    Mirai Nagasu
    Christina Gao
    Kanako Murakami
    lesser-powers (ala Ando, Kostner, Rochette)
    Ashley Wagner
    Alena Leonova
    Min-Jung Kwak

The Youth
    Elizaveta Tuktumysheva
    Anna Ovcharova
    Kim Haejin
    Yukiko Fujisawa
    I don't see Akiko or Miki continue until Sochi. I'd be a little surprised if Yuna continues. But coming back after retiring once may be interesting.

^As for the youngsters, why aren't Kanako Murakami, Yukiko Fujisawa, and Haruka Imai on the list?
    Oh! I dont know HOW I left the Japanese girls off...I completely should have added those three. =] And I gave a large, basically genuine list to include in the factor that things can change soo fast.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    Yeah... I read something in an article that's like, slimmer hips help skaters "cut" through the air during jumps or something? Thus, due to the increased focus on technical details, the ideal build is small(less weight) and slim.
    Yeah, which is why Polina Shelepen can jump three different 3-3s because she has absolutely no hips. I really hope some of these young Russian girls can stay good as they get older though, they really seem to have the right mindset and work ethic to excel at the sport!

This thread is predicting the hopefuls for 2014. I wonder how those same posters whose predictions for 2010 see where they went wrong? That it is still in the hopeful stage and not in any prediction stage except for country favorites. Have they forgotten that two USA skaters finished top Ten, and do they imagine that Kiri Baga is through?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Anyway, Elizaveta looks to be an experiment right now. Although if she's successful people can start calling her Queen Tukt.

Originally Posted by Lilith11
    Then why is it that some of the greatest female jumpers in the history of the sport, Midori, Tonya, and Irina were hardly small and thin?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Then why is it that some of the greatest female jumpers in the history of the sport, Midori, Tonya, and Irina were hardly small and thin?
    I'm just paraphrasing a statement made in an article I read. Personally, I think that it kinda does make sense; one of the reasons men have the advantage in jumps is because 1). more muscle and 2). no hips to worry about. Thus, there's also the dreaded puberty, when women do develop hips. Buuuuttt, there's always women who are such amazing athletes that regardless of their build, they're great jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    I'm just paraphrasing a statement made in an article I read. Personally, I think that it kinda does make sense; one of the reasons men have the advantage in jumps is because 1). more muscle and 2). no hips to worry about. Thus, there's also the dreaded puberty, when women do develop hips. Buuuuttt, there's always women who are such amazing athletes that regardless of their build, they're great jumpers.
    I don't think so. I think that in order to be a good jumper you also have to have power and strength. And if you are super weak and thin, you may not be able to jump at all. This is why Sasha's return didn't do so well. She was too thin and too weak. I don't think that the fact that Tonya, Midori, Arakawa, Irina were all not little pixies but great jumpers (Arakawa could do 3/3/3s is really a coincidence. Michelle Kwan was never the jumper those people were.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Midori and Irina were pretty small, and Irina especially was pretty tiny. Also these skaters were pretty short, and I feel shorter skaters are generally sturdier but even so they don't weigh much. For example, online it says Rachael Flatt, Miki Ando, Mao Asada, and Mirai Nagasu all weigh 110 pounds and yet they all have different builds and are different heights. Rachael is strong, Mao is a waif, and Miki and Mirai are somewhere in between, but their weights are all the same so jumping wise I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes (same gravitational force right?), especially considering the height difference between the tallest and shortest skater of the group is less than 3 inches.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    This thread is predicting the hopefuls for 2014. I wonder how those same posters whose predictions for 2010 see where they went wrong? That it is still in the hopeful stage and not in any prediction stage except for country favorites. Have they forgotten that two USA skaters finished top Ten, and do they imagine that Kiri Baga is through?
    Haha. I can see this thread going for 4 years and maybe beating the "Any Sasha Updates?" thread.

I think in 2006 I woulda said to watch Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes (who both did quite well for some time) as well as Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada. Maybe I'd throw in Caroline Zhang, maybe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I think in 2006 I woulda said to watch Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes (who both did quite well for some time) as well as Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada. Maybe I'd throw in Caroline Zhang, maybe.
    Yeah, funny how that works out. Kimmie and Emily have all but vanished from the skating world, Caroline is struggling with puberty as predicted, and four years ago Mao was "the best skater in the world" and Yu-Na was an afterthought....how that changed fast.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I think if anyone is going to be a podium threat; it should be Mirai because I feel she already has gone through her puberty woes and should be going up barring any injury. She also has a great coach and team. The junior ladies may be good now but haven't been tested by puberty to know for sure. On top of that, Mirai has a natural elegance and refinement to her skating. She has never displayed that awkwardness seen in juniors even when she was 14. If she can get her downgrade issue down, she will be a force to reckon with.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast