Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did Mirai have a mentor this year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I don't think Mirai has to do a mature and sensual program to improve her PCS (nor do I think she's up to it at this point). PCS is made up of two main considerations: reputation points, then speed and power. The rep points she's earned with her 4th place Olympic finish, the speed and power she's got in spades. With Carmen, the goal, it seems, was to let Mirai skate to something uptempo and energetic that doesn't automatically cast her as a junior. Of course, the problem is that Carmen comes with tons of baggage and existing characterizations. Her team needs to find her something less clichéd, but similarly energetic without being associated with children (so stay away from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack).
    I actually thought her Pirates SP was a nice transition program. It was elegant and mature without being sensual, so it was very age appropriate but definitely not junior-ish. I think Mirai could handle a sophisticated program next year, she'll be 17 and she finally looks her age now. Yuna did "Tango De Roxanne" at 15 and it seemed age appropriate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If Patrick would leave his coach a few months before the Olympics he obviously thinks he can do it on his own with a little help from others.
    Carroll is known these days for "my way or the highway" and Patrick does not seem ready for that type of discipline.

If you listen to what comes out of his mouth it would seem his ego has outstripped his talent at this point in his career.
    I just have a hunch he wants to do things the way Mao has been doing them - some choreo help and advice but it does not appear that he is willing to let a strong figure run his training. Maybe that will change but if he did not need a strong coach before Vancouver why would he want one now?
    Aw, I feel bad for Patrick, he seems like a good kid and Don Laws always talked about how he was such a hard and good worker. And I think he realizes he needs a coach. Maybe he should go to Mishin or someone else in Russia because Plushenko seems to have the ability to land all his jumps no matter how crooked and messed up they look in the air

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I actually thought her Pirates SP was a nice transition program. It was elegant and mature without being sensual, so it was very age appropriate but definitely not junior-ish. I think Mirai could handle a sophisticated program next year, she'll be 17 and she finally looks her age now. Yuna did "Tango De Roxanne" at 15 and it seemed age appropriate.
    I agree that "Pirates" was actually a really good choice for her. Most of the music cuts were rarely used ones that I don't think most people knew as from "pirates" until they were told. Her dress was very elegant too IMO. The end part with the footwork was fast and fun and let her show off her charming personality. Rondo Capricciso might be a nice choice for next season, and I was listening to the Emma soundtrack yesterday and some of the music from that would be perfect.

Custom Title
    Rondo Capriccio is such a nice piece of music, I think that would suit Mirai too . I also think Pachelbel's Cannon in D would be nice for her, and I sort of think if she ever did a west side story program she could totally pull it off and be adorable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zizi31 View Post
    I agree with you on phasing out of the cutesy, but at the same time she should pick something age-appropriate that she's capable of interpreting. Expression-wise, I don't think she was ready for Carmen. Carmen is supposed to be fiery and passionate and a bit sexual. I don't think that Mirai was able to bring that across, so the music was just background. I wonder why Frank picked Carmen for her; he should have known that it would just make her appear immature and too young.
    I think Mirai had a great programme to the music of Carmen, which really seemed to suit her personality. I feel that a skater can either try to be a certain character or interpret the music. In my opinion both selections are equally good.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I think Mirai had a great programme to the music of Carmen, which really seemed to suit her personality. I feel that a skater can either try to be a certain character or interpret the music. In my opinion both selections are equally good.
    I guess that's where our opinions differ - if someone is skating to music that's associated with a well-known character, I expect to see that character brought to life. Also, music like Carmen draws comparisons to skaters like Katarina Witt, which isn't a wise move for someone who's new to the scene and might not measure up. Mirai's inability to interpret Carmen (for me) hilighted her immaturity, when instead they could have chosen a program that presented her youthfulness and energy and other good qualities (like her sp). The Carmen program may have caused her to get lower PCS because it just looked very childish. Overall, I don't think it mattered too much this year - the judges weren't going to give her huge PCS anyways, since she's new to the scene. For next year, something like Rondo (mentioned upthread) would be a great choice - she could display her sharpness and quickness and playful personality. Violins seem to suit Mirai.

Custom Title
    I actually think the cuts of Carmen that were use really did fit Mirai.

Off topic...I don't get Patrick C and how is he so all of a sudden so stuck up. Of course it had to have been there. Just waiting to be released. I like Frank so I don't wish Patrick on him. Frank doesn't need this. If Patrick won Worlds maybe he will move on even though I've never wished for anyone to retire but on their own terms. He might though since he doesn't really see himself doing this long. Wish Buttle was still the top skater in Canada.

I think Patrick Chan should go to Sarah Hughes' coach Robin Wagner.. I can totally see them working together...

Custom Title
    Patrick needs to go to Russia...the harsh atmosphere should toughen him up. Mishin?

Wagner and Chan? Wow, that would be the war of egos...

Quote Originally Posted by zizi31 View Post
    I guess that's where our opinions differ - if someone is skating to music that's associated with a well-known character, I expect to see that character brought to life. Also, music like Carmen draws comparisons to skaters like Katarina Witt, which isn't a wise move for someone who's new to the scene and might not measure up. Mirai's inability to interpret Carmen (for me) hilighted her immaturity, when instead they could have chosen a program that presented her youthfulness and energy and other good qualities (like her sp). The Carmen program may have caused her to get lower PCS because it just looked very childish. Overall, I don't think it mattered too much this year - the judges weren't going to give her huge PCS anyways, since she's new to the scene. For next year, something like Rondo (mentioned upthread) would be a great choice - she could display her sharpness and quickness and playful personality. Violins seem to suit Mirai.
    A Japanese broadcaster said her Carmen was "cute" (in a good way). Mirai's Ex looked a lot more girlish than her Carmen and I think that she is just naturally cute.
    Carmen is such an overused program not only by top skaters, but also by little kids. So I think that many ppl can be accepting different versions of Carmens. Mao's Carmen was even more girlish. It was cute, flirty, and refreshing. Mirai's Carmen was a lot more mature than that. But no, I wouldn't compare that with Witt's and that's okay.
    She won her national title with even more girlish programs. So it wouldn't matter as far as PCS goes.
    That said, I agree with your sentiment that I would have better enjoyed different programs that only Mirai can skate to. She is a great performer and there would be a program in which she can shine even more.

Watching Mirai as she got ready to skate her LP she looked very intense and the last thing Carroll said to her was "smile."

Smiles don't win you medals - but they don't hurt either.

The quote below from the NY Times is worth mentioning:

"She has a freshness about her skating, a joy,” Brian Orser, who coaches the gold medalist Kim Yu-na of South Korea, said of Nagasu. “I know the style of Frank Carroll, the way he teaches — beautiful line right through to her smile. It’s real and it’s refreshing, and I like that.”

I thought Mirai's LP to "Carmen" was charming, among the very best programs we saw in Vancouver. I thought it was age appropriate, energetic and can't imagine seeing Mirai skate without her captivating smile.

Aside from Yuna - who appears to be in a class of her own - my favorite skaters this season were Mirai and Akiko. There is a joy to their skating that really seems to enhance their programs and sets them apart from so many others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/sp...s/28skate.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Watching Mirai as she got ready to skate her LP she looked very intense and the last thing Carroll said to her was "smile."

Smiles don't win you medals - but they don't hurt either.

The quote below from the NY Times is worth mentioning:

"She has a freshness about her skating, a joy,” Brian Orser, who coaches the gold medalist Kim Yu-na of South Korea, said of Nagasu. “I know the style of Frank Carroll, the way he teaches — beautiful line right through to her smile. It’s real and it’s refreshing, and I like that.”

I thought Mirai's LP to "Carmen" was charming, among the very best programs we saw in Vancouver. I thought it was age appropriate, energetic and can't imagine seeing Mirai skate without her captivating smile.

Aside from Yuna - who appears to be in a class of her own - my favorite skaters this season were Mirai and Akiko. There is a joy to their skating that really seems to enhance their programs and sets them apart from so many others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/sp...s/28skate.html
    I agree ! Mirai and Akiko are so fun to watch because they always seem so happy and it brings their skating to life!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Patrick needs to go to Russia...the harsh atmosphere should toughen him up. Mishin?

...or humble him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    ...or humble him.
    That too, though I'm still not convinced Patrick is actually cocky. He seems kind of shy in interviews.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast