Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cameras at SOI venues?

We've never had a problem at our respective shows (NJ, eastern PA). I guess it varies from venue to venue. Make sure the flash is turned off!
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 03-08-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    When I went to SoI last year, so many people were taking flash pictures throughout the show. It was really distracting, not to mention being possibly dangerous to the performers. No one did anything about it.

Rinkside
    I would be happy if they abandoned all attempts to limit photography and simply focused on preventing the use of flash. Virtually all new digital cameras on the market in 2010, including point and shoots, have the ability to capture video. The facilities should make peace with this because the technology is only going to become more widespread as more smart phones gain the capacity to record video ( some already do ). It is not feasible to confiscate every audience member's personal digital gear, and they will only deter attendance if they try.

Down With It
    (see below post)
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Down With It
    Ok. Called them again today (show is next week). And I'm not necessarily thrilled with the answer I got...

they are not allowing "professional cameras with detachable lenses" (basically, SLRs). Heck, when I mentioned I had an SLR he said he didn't even know what that was. Go figure.

I do have a P&S, I have been really disappointed with its performance indoors though. My pictures last year- most of them anyway- came out like crap. And red-eye is atrocious, even in the so-called "red-eye reduction mode" (check out my reception pics, there's red-eye in almost every photo, so bad even the software leaves a grey spot). Oh well, what can you do. At least the inherent positive is that I'll be more focused on enjoying the show than trying to get good pictures.

Just a word of warning for those with SLRs that might be planning to attend SOI shows- check with your local arena first.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-29-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2