World's Prediction Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

World's Prediction Thread

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yuko is a Russian skater. But she was like "I'm not skating showing my passport on me." She's been Russian for such a short time that I think it pretty understandable to say so.
I think that both Mirai and Yuko would be happy that two countries (Russia/US and Japan) are specifically rooting for them and feeling close to them because of their heritage, for one thing, and their nationality, for the other.

wallylutz

Medalist
Yes. Because they're not skating for Canada or America. They had to switch their nationality to do it.

No, Tanith still has her Canadian citizenship, so does Allison Reed, who is still American citizen. It's a factual statement, they are who they are. Besides, these two are actually born in Canada and U.S. respectively. Mirai's parents actually went through the trouble of getting their daughter Japanese citizenship even though she wasn't born in Japan, let's just say not all Japanese-Americans do that. Mirai even went on Japanese TV after she won her first US Nationals to publicize the fact she also holds Japanese citizenship for a Japanese audience to see. Did you know that? I guess not. She is as Japanese as it gets, both ethnically, culturally and yes, citizenship wise as well. She may be representing the U.S. and a U.S. citizen but she is not any different to Yuko Kavaguti who is representing Russia but everyone still calls her a Japanese, even though she is now Russian citizen and have since renounced her Japanese citizenship and can't get it back for 10 years.

wallylutz

Medalist
Tanith Belbin did not switch nationality, she switched skating member affiliation from back in her time, CFSA (now Skate Canada) to USFSA (now USFS). She gained U.S. citizenship but she did not renounce her Canadian citizenship. She is both Canadian and American citizen, just want to clear this up.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Excuse me for multiple posts! But I agree that Mirai seems to feel strongly about her Japanese heritage. She mentioned that in the Olympic press conference, too, and she speaks Japanese well and lists Japanese TV as one of her favorite programs. I think that Mirai's popularity in Japan has a lot to do with her linguistic ability and her Japaneseness in her attitudes and manners and all that stuff. Not many would have felt that way with Kristi Yamaguchi without these elements.

That said, she is American, has been raised, and has lived in the US, and would have a lot of the American culture in her. I'm sure she feels proud of representing the US, so are the American audience to have her.

In case of Yuko, she switched the nationality as an adult in her twenties specifically for skating. It seems that both countries rooted for her. But she would be pretty different in terms of the level of acculturation to the Russian culture, compared to that of Mirai to the American culture. I think that Mirai would be so much more American than Yuko is Russian as far as the level of cultural identity goes.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
No, Tanith still has her Canadian citizenship, so does Allison Reed, who is still American citizen. It's a factual statement, they are who they are. Besides, these two are actually born in Canada and U.S. respectively. Mirai's parents actually went through the trouble of getting their daughter Japanese citizenship even though she wasn't born in Japan, let's just say not all Japanese-Americans do that. Mirai even went on Japanese TV after she won her first US Nationals to publicize the fact she also holds Japanese citizenship for a Japanese audience to see. Did you know that? I guess not. She is as Japanese as it gets, both ethnically, culturally and yes, citizenship wise as well. She may be representing the U.S. and a U.S. citizen but she is not any different to Yuko Kavaguti who is representing Russia but everyone still calls her a Japanese, even though she is now Russian citizen and have since renounced her Japanese citizenship and can't get it back for 10 years.

Mirai's parents are Japanese citizens, Issei--first generation immigrants, who hold resident alien status in the US; that is why they "went through the trouble of getting their daughter Japanese citizenship". Mirai is a Nisei, second generation Japanese American, who holds dual citizenship due to her parents both being Japanese citizens. I don't agree that Mirai is "as Japanese as it gets"--while she does speak the language (not as fluently as a native speaker, however), her reading and writing of the language is minimal. She was born and raised in the United States, and is as American as it gets. I am pretty sure when she turns 21 and must decide which citizenship to choose (as Japan does not allow dual citizenship after the age of 22), she'll be choosing her American citizenship. Plus, as another poster stated, she is competing for the United States here; she is an American.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
A mix of many--Korean, Chinese, Filipino, Portuguese, Spanish, and some Japanese. American citizen.

And what is yours, if I may ask?
I am Korean, born in Canada. I'm never offended when people refer to me as "Korean", or "Canadian"; I think either is valid. :biggrin: So I don't think it's "wrong" to say that Mirai is either Japanese, or American. I consider both true for her.

Although, since you're such a mix, it would be weird to refer to you by ethnicity rather than just American, so I see where you're coming from.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
I am Korean, born in Canada. I'm never offended when people refer to me as "Korean", or "Canadian"; I think either is valid. :biggrin: So I don't think it's "wrong" to say that Mirai is either Japanese, or American. I consider both true for her.

Although, since you're such a mix, it would be weird to refer to you by ethnicity rather than just American, so I see where you're coming from.

I didn't say it was wrong to say Mirai is Japanese. She holds dual citizenship, therefore, she is Japanese and American. However, I do believe when the time comes, she will choose to be an American, and I think at the moment, she is more "Americanized" than she is Japanese.

As for myself, yes, I refer to myself as an American. However, regarding ethnicity, I probably relate more to my Asian side, as my mother is Korean, it is on my father's side that I have such a mixture. Also, my focus in college was on Asian Studies and Japanese Language; and I was fortunate enough to study in Japan. I've lived in both Japan and Korea, and enjoyed both countries. By the way, I've only visited Canada, and find Canada a very beautiful place also. You are very lucky.