Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lambiel retires from skating competition

News Lambiel retires from skating competition

Former figure skating world champion and 2006 Olympic silver medallist Stephane Lambiel has confirmed his retirement from official competition, the International Skating Union (ISU) said on Tuesday.

More

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    I knew he wouldn't stay, but this news still makes me cry.

Custom Title
    I'm going to miss him so much :(

My favorite 2 Gold Worlds medalist and Silver Oly medal, unfortunately he was plagued with injuries even when winning medals. The injuries just got the best of him, but we will see him in that ProAm in Foxwoods.

Custom Title
    Enjoy your life Stephane! Thanks for giving us so much great skating!

Good luck and be happy at whatever you do in the future

Til the next time

I'm pretty sceptical of all "retirements" now official or not. So many came out of retirement for Vancouver that i'm not sure these statements mean much any more! (not that i'm expecting Lambiel to come back)

Ant

Medalist
    Gonna miss the guy.
    It was a courageous effort to come back for the Olympics.
    I wish he had medaled.
    Damn those 2quad landings at FS.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Til the next time

I'm pretty sceptical of all "retirements" now official or not. So many came out of retirement for Vancouver that i'm not sure these statements mean much any more! (not that i'm expecting Lambiel to come back)

Ant
    I thought the same thing, but I think this time it will stick because he'll be ineligible once he does "Thin Ice." Unless the ISU changes their mind.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I think he means it this time.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I think he means it this time.
    Yes, I think he back only for the olympics. I hoped he would so worlds, but I think he is the type of skater who really needs a lot of motivation to
    compete, and dispute the liklihood of him getting a medal in Torino--he dosent feel
    motivated to do so. Good luck to him in whatever his future holds

Custom Title
    In Stephane's Olympics SP, he used the double axel. In his FS, he still used only the double, not the triple, axel; the two quads he did in the FS both got negative GOE. I think Stephane knows how difficult the 3A is for him, and he has seen the writing on the wall. There is little point in his continuing to compete at the ISU-eligible level, as it would take an enormous amount of training for him to overcome his competition now. He has a large fanship, so I think he would have no trouble earning a living in shows, should he wish to do that.

Custom Title
    I'm going to miss him but I knew this was for a short time. Glad he came back since Buttle left.

Custom Title
    I only learned of him last year, but he has since then become one of my favorite skaters. I am glad he came back one last time. I don't think there is anyone right now who can spin like he does.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    We all knew this was going to happen, but still... It's extremely sad to imagine that we will never again see his spark in competition.
    Even with mistakes on the jumps, he was always among the very best, and he will always be. For me, he is the best men's skater I've ever seen. No one can match his artistry, his intricate, yet passionate programs and performances and, most of all, his amazing spins. He moved me very deeply several times - he is a true artist, and a true champion. He is the closest I've seen to the "complete package", as he excels at steps, spins, moves in the field, and art. Figure skating will desperately miss him.
    Thank you Stephane, for all the great moments, in galas as well as in competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast